Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so just want to know what changes need to be made to get this 2010 gdi motor from a sonata to work. Do plugs change? How about ecu? Do I have to be the one to try it? I notice it does have a high compression ratio also.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
ECU for sure, at least the programming of it. Not sure if the connection are the same. Simplest to get the ECU with the GDI engine if grabbing it from a wrecked sonata.

·
Registered
708 Posts
you would need the engine, and pretty much everything attached to it.possibly custom mounts, the ecu, fueling system possibly a custom wiring harness unless your talking about 2.0L turbo version IMO it would be a lot of effort for very little ( in reality) gains, it would probably work easiest with a standalone but even then idk any stand alone that can control a DI setup off the top of my head in all reality you might be better off seeing if the bottom end would bolt up to your stock top end then get the turbo setup off it that would nix the DI (though that would nix some of the gains, though di systems are great tuning them can be hell) it would give you what should be a fairly stable bottom end and a turbo.. it would probably be able to push out about 250 to the crank so about 230 whp or so that being said you'd need NON DI pistons though

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm Just waging possibilities here. 2.0 forte consists of the same head? Or there is nothing that you can swap out from eather 2.0 or 2.4. Also just checked out a 2008 hyundai sonata motor with 0 miles used on a crashed test never turned on when crashed for 1100 just needs an intake manifold.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm Just waging possibilities here. 2.0 forte consists of the same head? Or there is nothing that you can swap out from eather 2.0 or 2.4. Also just checked out a 2008 hyundai sonata motor with 0 miles used on a crashed test never turned on when crashed for 1100 just needs an intake manifold.
I think that's the same 2.4 that's in our fortes....not sure though.

·
Registered
973 Posts
whaaaat?! thats a hell of a deal!

·
Registered
708 Posts
no idea.. it could. be the same 2.4 basis.. however like i said getting Di to work will be a huge project on a non DI car they sonata 2.0L T engine is the same as the genesis but with a better turbo and better internals + DI

·
Registered
425 Posts
Your best bet is to just get a whole DI engine and ECU and install it. You would have a lot of work getting the ECU pin outs to match, but it should all work if you did. The engine mount positions should be the same on the FWD models, so it might just drop right in. New engine mounts would be the least of issues if they did not though.

I am sure we will see a DI version in the future as the model gets updated and that would make it easier.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now how about sensors and plugs?

·
Registered
708 Posts
sensors and plugs would probably be needed to buy the ones from the stock turbo setup as the o2 sensor will probably be wideband the map sensors will support positive pressure teh spark plugs will be different.. again tuning DI motors can be difficult depending on injector size and window stock..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts