Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Get your flame suit on!!! Lol
No these chips are a waste!!! If they were truly that effective then who would turbo!!
I recommend using the search button on this because we have discussed this in previous threads. Just a heads up though get ready for the flaming!! Lol

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I wonder if he would like to buy my sticker that says "this sticker adds 5HP" lol for the low price of $19.99...

Joking of course....well maybe not....

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Each ECU on the forte costs $600. Even with tuning, 25% increase is the best you're gonna get. If those $20 works. All of us would have turbo. No place in this world for being gullible these days.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't know exactly what you're trying to say... If a $20 chip gave us advertised horsepower, we'd all run down to our local parts dist and have them order us up a turbo kit?

And jesus man, if you can get 25% more power just by tuning, you should be working for AEM or something.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
I don't know exactly what you're trying to say... If a $20 chip gave us advertised horsepower, we'd all run down to our local parts dist and have them order us up a turbo kit?

And jesus man, if you can get 25% more power just by tuning, you should be working for AEM or something.
The forte much run rich and no timing.......lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry guys, I broke my cardinal rule of searching first. Getting lazy I guess. Thanks for the info though and not flaming me too bad.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts

Sorry, I had to.

Those "chips" are usually just a resistor that tricks the ECU into thinking the air is colder. In theory it works, in practice it decreases horse power since it's dumping more fuel for the same amount of air.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The forte much run rich and no timing.......lol
I'm kind of tempted to see how terribly conservative this tune actually is. I think I'ma break out my wideband and Megasquirt and put this bitch on the rollers.

My brother and I were talking about it last night. Just discussing the redline vs. tune vs. power potential (HP/litre). He was saying why not just cranking the redline to like 7800 and see how it reacts. My arguement to that was you probably wouldn't make power on these shit cams and there is no precedent. Like, when you build an LSVTEC motor for a Honda, you know how high you can rev a LS bottom end before you stretch the rod bolts or punt a rod through the block. On this motor, who knows. You may hit 7500 and find you have an inspection plate where your #3 cylinder used to be.

Pointless ramblings but its just funny how I'm probably going to have to break my block a couple times before I figure out the limits of the motor. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
33 Posts

Sorry, I had to.

Those "chips" are usually just a resistor that tricks the ECU into thinking the air is colder. In theory it works, in practice it decreases horse power since it's dumping more fuel for the same amount of air.
You have it backwards but the mechanical knowledge is sound.

I could do the same thing as that chip in about 5 mins for 2 dollars worth of crystals/resistors. Same idea as the SAFC/RRM box. The funny thing is, when you modify the voltage on the MAF/IAT to read a lower cell in the VE table, it still reads the higher cell in the timing table. Less fuel, MOAR TIMING. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Definately limited scope tuning. :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.