Kia Forte Forum banner

GFB BOV Issues

4K views 77 replies 10 participants last post by  waveslikeweapons 
#1 ·
So I installed the GFB Respons BOV, and almost immediately got a CEL. Now I know some folks were having an issue when it was left to 100% vent, which I did at first not knowing this. So I closed it to about 50/50, cleared the code, still getting a CEL. At first I was also loosing boost after about 20 minutes of driving, was great in the first 20 minutes, but then it dropped. Now that I have it at 50/50, I'm still getting the CEL, and it's dropping boost after about an hour of driving.

Anyone else run in to this, or know what is going on here?

I have been trying to look this up, and everyone else fixed this by not leaving it to full vent, this however did not work in my case.

Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
I can't remember what the numbers are but it's the one for the recirc valve giving an abnormal reading. It's the same one everyone gets when they leave the GFB BOV on full vent.

#4 ·
Just pulled it again so I could remember the code P2261

#6 ·
I am yes, that makes perfect sense. Next question, and this may seem stupid but I've never dealt with this before, where is the solenoid and where does it go?

#10 ·
As far as I can tell? I don't HEAR any leaking boost when the code happens, or when it looses boost. Not like when I didn't have the clamp tight enough on the intercooler reso delete pipe installed, that you could CLEARLY hear the boost leaking. And it seems to change when I adjust how much I am venting. When set to full circulate, I get a longer stint of driving with boost, set to full open, I get about 15 minutes. 50/50 I get about an hour. Now if I drive it easy at 50/50, it doesn't do this, but after an hour, if I get on it, I lose boost almost immediately after I hear the valve open and vent. It is very similar to when you cold start the car and have no boost till it warms up.

Reactions: ForteGT2
#13 ·
Yep that is it, I didn't see that before ordering and installing the BOV. After I get the solenoid it's going down to my buddies shop and he is going to do a tune on it. Pretty excited.

He also has a new fast spooling turbo as well as his own patented anti lag he invented he said I could just have.

Reactions: noturbonoproblem
#15 ·
The factory-installed unit might not deliver the responsiveness and air volume required to activate the aftermarket BOV. N75 Motorsports' Pierburg solenoid is what I use.

#18 ·
m running the Same BOV at 50/50 on my 22. Never an issue with mine.
Is your car DCT or manual? I am wondering if the folks that aren't having the issue have the DCT? In any case I'm ordering the solenoid today.

#27 ·
Majority of the aftermarket BOV are "push" type, meaning the valve is pushed open by boost in the intercooler pipe. So fine tuning is needed either by spring preload or stiffer spring swap with a combination with something like a Pierburg to assist with air volume. The "pull" types have the boost pressure holding the valve closed until there is a difference between pressure from the intake manifold and the intercooler pipe. They typically can get away with a softer spring with no adjustments. Push types are popular due to the quick reaction for those who want to vent to atmosphere.

#30 ·
I haven't had a chance to install it yet, I have it but the weather here has prevented me from actually getting it done. I think I'm going to get it done on my next weekend but we will see. The GFB also has the adjustable spring, I did not adjust it from it's factory settings however, is this something that needs to be addressed?

#31 ·
I haven't had a chance to install it yet, I have it but the weather here has prevented me from actually getting it done. I think I'm going to get it done on my next weekend but we will see. The GFB also has the adjustable spring, I did not adjust it from it's factory settings however, is this something that needs to be addressed?
What ever happened to "neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night"? ...Oh, never mind...that USED to be the Post Office motto...:)

Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

#43 ·
Back to BOV issues.:)

So the more I read about Hyundai/Kia throwing the p2261 I seem to find three common things, 6spd and vented to atmosphere and sometimes age 2-4ys old. Makes me think the factory BOV solenoid gets tired faster in the 6spd cars and fails more often. If an aftermarket BOV is added to a couple year old 6spd car it is more than the solenoid can take and instant cel. Not sure what the venting to atmosphere has to do with it if anything. Maybe the slight vacuum in the intake tract helps the BOV vent when the recirc tube is hooked up?

#44 ·
Aftermarket valves are push type BOV (except HKS SSQV) so boost from the intercooler pipe and vacuum from the intake manifold help open the valve. If the spring is too soft and/or not enough preload, boost will leak out, especially on boost and load. Regardless of vent to atmosphere or recirc, if the valve doesn't fully close on load you will get a CEL. The stock valve is a pull type, so boost in the intercooler pipe and pressure from the intake manifold help hold the valve shut on boost and load. The stock rcv solenoid is designed for the stock BOV. It doesn't need the extra volume an aftermarket solenoid provides. Push type typically need more spring stiffness and/or more preload set. You might be able to get away with just adjusting the preload, if it has one.

#46 ·
Pierburg makes solenoids for basically everything. I think the difference may lie in whether it defaults to open or closed (so when voltage applies, some open, and others close), or how much voltage has to be applied, or how fast it opens. Who knows.
I do know that in the Volvo community the Pierburg solenoid for a certain Porsche turbo is considered a (minor) upgrade over the Volvo one

#53 ·
I forget, did you try to see if you still get the cel when it recirculates back to the air intake tube? I am going to order a GFB T9111 today or tomorrow and I already have the Volvo version of the Pierburg. Hopefully everything goes smooth.
So I have tried it in a bunch of different variations. I had it set to 100% vent, 70% vent, 50% vent, 30% vent, and even 0% vent, all with similar results. The more I vented, the faster the CEL happened and I lost boost. I am at 50/50 now, which you can still hear it clearly, and I know, may or may not be any performance gains I know, I just honestly like the sound.

Reactions: noturbonoproblem
#50 ·
There is. I'm not sure about the newer iterations of the stock bov, but the older triangle shaped versions did leak some boost, and even more so when the boost level is raised higher than stock. The older stock BOV were push type BOV with a soft rubber diaphragm which gets worse as they age and heat cycle. Some power can be gained just by replacing them with an aftermarket one. Also, drivability and transient response can improved, too.

#57 ·
Okay so I finally got the solenoid installed, and that fixed everything, no more CEL, no more lost boost!

#59 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.