Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With brand new 2018 EX, I plan on going from the stock Hankook H426s to Bridgestone Turanza Quiettimes. I am looking for a bit extra tire performance, much longer tire life and a bit softer ride. What are your thoughts? Thank you for this forum.

Kind regards,
Stephen

2018-Forte-ext2_o.jpg

·
Registered
278 Posts
Well, here are my thoughts.
1. No issue to go with the 225/45. I did the same and the difference in circumference to the standard EXs 205/55-16 are negligible.
2. Bridgestone Turanza Quiettime, in my book, is not a performance tire. Quiet it is. Tire life is usually diametrically opposed to performance. Check out my thread what I ended up choosing and why.
For my Koup which is basically the same car as yours, I have Pirelli Pzero AS+ and for my wife's EX sedan Pirelli P7Cinturato AS+. Lots of folks here will recommend Michelin AS+ and Conti DWS06, and these are excellent choices. Michelin being the one with the stiffer sidewall and more bumpy, Conti more comfort oriented. (Pzero in between).
3. I can say for sure, that in both cases, the car handles better, while maintaining comfort. In comparison to the Nexen CP671 which were OEM. I have no idea how the H426s handle and
if they are quiet or not.
4. I can guarantee you, that no tire in the world will give you a softer ride as such, that is in the suspension set-up and a tire may accentuate that or it may reduce that a little bit, but it won't change
the characteristics. The P7 is a tad softer in the sidewall, so it rolls off a bit softer as the Pzero, but it is at best marginal. P7s are said to last longer than Pzeros, but for me, that is secondary.
Almost all tires with an advertised thread life of 120,000 km perform like crap. Perhaps decent on a straight line, or in town, but useless in handling around a bend. Also, I do not drive huge
distances, but I digress - it's just that the higher the tire performance, the shorter the tire life. Take a Bridgestone Re71R or Pzero Corsa, they are road-legal track tires, (don't, you'll regret it, you'll
probably never going to get them to their optimum temperature range), their tire-life is dismal, both are rated below 100.
5. EDIT ADD: I only now realize, you just bought it. I'd leave the H426 on and swap the winter tires on next month and keep driving the H426 a bit longer next spring. They may have developed flat-spots, so won't handle well. Also, experiment a bit with tire pressure, and gofor 34 psi i/o 33, that may make a difference. (it did with the Nexens).You can still swap them out middle next year. Just an additional thought.

Choice is yours. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Joachimkazmaier,

That is indeed a lot to think about! I may do exactly as you suggest to really look at my considerable number of options still open.

Yes, the car is brand new (built May 2018) and I am the first owner (kind of strange), so have an older new car. I think that I need to think snows and winter wheels before making such a move. Why did I buy a 2018 and not get a 2020? It was value, as I really prefer the looks of the older model and it was bought at a huge discount under the window sticker. I really like the 6 speed non-variable trans-axel and 164hp GDI combination over the newer ones I test drove.

I do have to decide soon though as the new 225/45 r17 "Bridgestone Quiettimes" will be delivered to my local Costco early this coming week, which will force installation or refund (and bad relations). Another matter however is how they balance tires with outside rim weights like they did on my truck just a couple of months ago, even though I love the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza plus tires they installed. In any case I don't want my Kia rims marked and tires balanced that way.

Anyway, there seems to be a lot of negative opinion regarding the Hankook H426 Kia original equipment, and indeed they may be questionable for use even in wet weather, let alone any kind of snow, however light. I asked the local Kia dealership their opinion but they did not get any kind of answer (except a negative opinion on going from 215 to 225) to hang my hat on..

I know one thing for sure. Heavy snow will hit where I live sooner than later and I live way out in the country. The question will not be whether my Forte EX will look cool, and have a nice ride, but whether or not I can even get out of the driveway and chase the snow plow down the highway. Reality of life in Canada, Kia Forte, or not, is catching up and closing in! Can't run and can't hide!

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate you taking the time and giving me your considerable time and experience with this type of car. Speaking of which, this is my 29th vehicle (so far) and 18th new one, which seems to have done little to build common sense and a purely rational, logical approach to automotive decision making.

I digress...

Thanks,
Stephen

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi Stephen,

no need at all to justify your choice. This is a great car. My wife's EX is the pre-facelift, otherwise the same car, and we're very happy with it. 2015. The Koup is a 2014. There are a few new 'generation 2' Fortes still out there, waiting to be snapped up with a huge discount. Good call!

I bought the Pzero AS at Costco and I can assure you, they will put the balance weights in the same way as they are now. In fact, the way the mags are not made to accommodate balancing weights in this way, and it would be rather difficult to put the weights as shown from your truck. (they will have these on the inside, as it's designed to accommodate these, with a lip).

As for winter tires, most folks, me included, went for steel rims 16" with 205/55-16. I slapped aftermarket hubcaps on, looks are okay. You could go 195/65-15, but in my opinion, that looks really shit on that car.

Cheers,
Joachim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Joachim,

I took delivery and had Costco install the Bridgestone Quiettimes. Wow, what a tire! The tread looks quiet aggressive in person compared to the Hankook H426s. What is remarkable is how extremely quiet they are, for they seem to be soundless, as advertised. Thankfully the tendency for the smaller Hankook tires to also induce a sense of wandering is gone.

One standout difference is how much more moderated the ride of the 225/45/17 tires seem than the 215/45/17s. That little bit extra sidewall seems to be very noticeable for ride quality. Handling seems very good and thumping from small road irregularities disappeared. They fit the wheels and the wheel wells very naturally, looking as good as they feel.

As you suggested Costco took care to not damage the rims and once again meeting all my expectations. What a great company! Of course, if we have another hard winter in New Brunswick this year, I won't be going through big snow drifts with these tires. On the other hand, with the ultra low front bumper and air dam profile of the car that is not be an option anyway.

I have ordered a full spare tire kit and donut from my local Kia dealership that should be here next week, but will keep the air pump and sealer as backup. I had them do the first full service instead of waiting for the kilometers to add up. After all, the car sat for nearly 2 1/2 years and should have had the oil changed anyway.

What a beautiful car!

I have had a lot of interesting and expensive cars and trucks over the past 50 years or so, but none that I have taken a real liking too as much and as fast as this little Forte EX. I'd say I am hooked and feeling like a kid again in a cool little hot rod, even if it is disguised as an econobox. Times are changing, and so am I.

Found out something new; Kia has klass!

Kindest regards,

Stephen

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi Stephen, glad it worked out for you. And yes, I think that car is sexy. I won't comment on the tread design, that's looks, which aren't totally to be discounted, but not the most important feature. As far as the ride improvement goes, the slightly higher sidewall of the 225 tire versus the 215 wide one is at best marginal, perhaps only measurable. What makes the difference, is the construction of the tire. The OEM Hankooks are only known for middling performances at best, and harsh rolling over bumps is part of a not-so-good design. What makes the difference is the rolling characteristics, and when hitting bumps, the recovery. Some tires will be rather bouncy, the Quiet Track is obviously doing great in recovery. I kind of relearned my own car with the PZeros, as now I am able to point the car exactly where I want to go and steering became a lot more precise, even when pushed, and the noise cancelling grooves are working. So, yes, makes a lot of difference. I totally agree, I prefer the meatier sidewall and it fills the wheelhouse better. Fun fact: The Pzero AS on my car are measurably narrower than the P 7 on my wife's car. (this is across all sizes, not limited to my size, we upped to 225/454-17 on both cars).

Enjoy the ride!

J

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
3 Posts
17s really do this car justice. I'm trying to upgrade my lx from the steel 15s as the firehawk as I put on last year are on their last rotation at about 35k(miles)

I was going to put a set of toyo celcius for 90/tire, but my neighbor is retiring his Caliber with 17s and I plan on trading with him before he gets rid of it, but the price of the Toyo in 215/45/17 is almost double than that of the 195/65/15 so for the money I was looking between the Continental DS06 (good price, good looking tire and I like the tread wear indicators) or the Firestone Weathergrip which realistically are more than even the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ but a bulk of the milage is between rough and twisty county roads and highways before sunrise in the winter and I can't afford two sets of wheels and tires yet, so dry performance is secondary to wear and weather resistance. Besides, I put some rockford fosgates in the front doors so a little noise won't bother anyone.

For the price I should probably just stick with the 15s, as the firehawks are a significant improvement over the Fuzion Touring that were on it when we got it, but my girlfriend still complains about the car getting tossed around in the wind and "falling" in road seams and imperfections especially in the rain, I've also noticed the tires are way squishy now, I've started keeping them at almost 40 psi and the sidewalls still bulge out and has a tendency to tuck under hard turning like an suv, wearing the outside of the front tires slightly faster than the inside, so I'm replacing the wheel bearings and attempting a slight camber adjustment with some camber bolts and seeing if it solves the issue.

Also, I'm looking for a bug guard like that but wasn't sure if the design of the car made it functional, when I replaced the windshield earlier this year, it had several chips and a large crack and not even 10k later, I've already got some small chips. Do you have a link for that?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Stephen, glad it worked out for you. And yes, I think that car is sexy. I won't comment on the tread design, that's looks, which aren't totally to be discounted, but not the most important feature. As far as the ride improvement goes, the slightly higher sidewall of the 225 tire versus the 215 wide one is at best marginal, perhaps only measurable. What makes the difference, is the construction of the tire. The OEM Hankooks are only known for middling performances at best, and harsh rolling over bumps is part of a not-so-good design. What makes the difference is the rolling characteristics, and when hitting bumps, the recovery. Some tires will be rather bouncy, the Quiet Track is obviously doing great in recovery. I kind of relearned my own car with the PZeros, as now I am able to point the car exactly where I want to go and steering became a lot more precise, even when pushed, and the noise cancelling grooves are working. So, yes, makes a lot of difference. I totally agree, I prefer the meatier sidewall and it fills the wheelhouse better. Fun fact: The Pzero AS on my car are measurably narrower than the P 7 on my wife's car. (this is across all sizes, not limited to my size, we upped to 225/454-17 on both cars).

Enjoy the ride!

J
Hi Joachim,

Hope you haven't had to deal with any of that early snow yet. The latest weather forecasts looks iffy. The best I can figure out it will be cold in winter, warmer in summer, light during the day and dark at night. Woops, off topic!

In any case, rain or shine, snow or dry it seems you are ready for the best or the worst season tires wise. The Pzero are an interesting option. With the new Quiettimes I had a couple local Kia mechanics come out and see the new rubber for themselves and favorably comment, unofficially of course.

My ordered spare wheel, donut tire and accessories made for my model arrived. Was extremely pleased to see that the wheel itself is painted a matching red just like my car. The KIA parts manager grinned from ear to ear with my pleasant surprise and gratitude. A little praise goes such a long way doesn't it!

Why did I order it, someone may ask? Well, I like the idea of being able to change a flat tire, not fill it up with gunk. Besides, I think it is a better idea than the alternative, just my opinion. In any case, the Forte looks, rides, drives and handles really well, all things considered, reconsidered, regurgitated, reevaluated and reaffirmed.

Now, to receive and install my Amazon ordered oil catch can, identify, find, purchase and install LED lights and other odds and ends, my new wheels may scratch my itch just a red wee bit better.

Kindest regards,
Stephen

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Silky17,

Thank you for your impute and relaying your experience with different wheel and tire types, sizes and performances. It goes to show that I have a lot to learn from this well informed community. My car just turned 4,000 KM so my own Kia and Forte experience is non-existent at this point.

The front bug screen came with my car as a manufacturer installed accessory. Therefore I do not have a link and can not vouch for it's practical usefulness insofar as bugs, bees and butterflies are concerned. I agree, it looks rather good! I might be interested in the same kind of plastic four window shields (or whatever they are called) I spotted on an Elantra of similar vintage. They look great.

Nice to meet you.

Kindest regards,
Stephen

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi Joachim,

Hope you haven't had to deal with any of that early snow yet. The latest weather forecasts looks iffy. The best I can figure out it will be cold in winter, warmer in summer, light during the day and dark at night. Woops, off topic!

In any case, rain or shine, snow or dry it seems you are ready for the best or the worst season tires wise. The Pzero are an interesting option. With the new Quiettimes I had a couple local Kia mechanics come out and see the new rubber for themselves and favorably comment, unofficially of course.

My ordered spare wheel, donut tire and accessories made for my model arrived. Was extremely pleased to see that the wheel itself is painted a matching red just like my car. The KIA parts manager grinned from ear to ear with my pleasant surprise and gratitude. A little praise goes such a long way doesn't it!

Why did I order it, someone may ask? Well, I like the idea of being able to change a flat tire, not fill it up with gunk. Besides, I think it is a better idea than the alternative, just my opinion. In any case, the Forte looks, rides, drives and handles really well, all things considered, reconsidered, regurgitated, reevaluated and reaffirmed.

Now, to receive and install my Amazon ordered oil catch can, identify, find, purchase and install LED lights and other odds and ends, my new wheels may scratch my itch just a red wee bit better.

Kindest regards,
Stephen
Hi, the law in Québec aside - we must be on winter tires between 1st December to 15th March - I always had winter tires. No contest, really. I bought my Koup used and a set of winter tires came with it, on steel rims with 205/55-16. Tires are Gislaved Nordfrost 100, which are discontinued (or rather, have a new life as General Altimax 12), and these are very good winter tires. I did not purchase the doughnut, And while I had flats in the past, I was always able to pump the tire and limp it home and then to the tire store. I'll add, that I'm not driving a lot of long distances, most of my driving is in and around Greater Montréal, where roadside assistance is in reach within a short time.

Reactions: NovaResource

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts