Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got bored and had this laying around...not exactly the nicest but I was super bored haha I'll try and post night pics later....yes I know she's super dirty lol

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Trunk

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Automotive exterior

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper Emblem

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got them on eBay...just go to ebay motors and fill out the drop down menus for your year make and model and then search for them. unless you want to just scroll through all the stuff...you can get them here also Korean Auto Imports I just shop on eBay alot

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Most states (I know it for a fact in FL... have read the statue and personally witnessed person receive a citation for it) don't allow red lights in the rear of the vehicle unless they are brake lights. I'm sure some officers won't issue citations for this but it's there none the less.

PA's statute is located here:

Pennsylvania Code 67-173 Lighting for Emergency and Authorized Vehicles
Might wanna check your references there. It's pretty obvious you are incorrect. Just read the title of the page.

"FLASHING OR REVOLVING LIGHTS"

Most states don't allow red lights on the rear of the vehicle? uh last time I checked they were all red minus the amber turn signals.:rolleyes:

Only time a red light on the rear is illegal is if it flashes to give the image of an emergency vehicle. This lighting up when his brake lights do is not illegal nor are any bars under the tailgate of trucks.

And if you witnessed someone receieve a citation for it then either you don't know the whole story or you are leaving something out.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Might wanna check your references there. It's pretty obvious you are incorrect. Just read the title of the page.

"FLASHING OR REVOLVING LIGHTS"
So you did not read the page... as it mentions steady lights as well.

Most states don't allow red lights on the rear of the vehicle? uh last time I checked they were all red minus the amber turn signals.:rolleyes:
Does not appear you read my post either... as there was a key part right at the end of that sentence which you ignored.

Only time a red light on the rear is illegal is if it flashes to give the image of an emergency vehicle. This lighting up when his brake lights do is not illegal nor are any bars under the tailgate of trucks.
Again, I did mention this. I'm under the impression that it's a steady red light... not just lighting up with the brake likes. Though, as I sated, I did address this. The laws are in place to prevent people from adding red lights to the rear of the vehicle that stay lit, which can lead people to think that the vehicle is braking or to take away from the effect brake lights carry.

And if you witnessed someone receieve a citation for it then either you don't know the whole story or you are leaving something out.
Nope. This person had installed red lights on their rear tire flaps. I say there for 20 minutes while the officer wrote him a citation for the red lights. I've also been handing auto claims for 20 years and have read a ton of state statutes. I've seen many that address this situation.

I'm not saying the OP will ever get a citation, obviously many officers feel it's not a big deal. Same way with dark tint.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Again, I did mention this. I'm under the impression that it's a steady red light... not just lighting up with the brake likes. Though, as I sated, I did address this. The laws are in place to prevent people from adding red lights to the rear of the vehicle that stay lit, which can lead people to think that the vehicle is braking or to take away from the effect brake lights carry.

None of your argument holds validity. Please look at european cars here in the US... ie volvo, porsche, etc which have reverse fog lights. It is essentially another red light on the back of the car illuminated at the same brightness as the brake lights. It's a steady light.

the only mention of "steady burning light" is labeled as "in conjunction w/ flashing or revolving beams"

Not to mention that website is only to inform of the laws associated with what emergency vehicles are allowed and not allowed to do. It has no mention of what a standard vehicle may or may not have.

"FLASHING OR REVOLVING LIGHTS ON EMERGENCY AND AUTHORIZED VEHICLES"

It's not "FLASHING OR REVOLVING LIGHTS ON NON-EMERGENCY VEHICLES"

Nope. This person had installed red lights on their rear tire flaps. I say there for 20 minutes while the officer wrote him a citation for the red lights. I've also been handing auto claims for 20 years and have read a ton of state statutes. I've seen many that address this situation.
Well if true mudflaps then as the vehicle is driving they will swing causing the illusion of flashing. So yes, you left something out of the story ;)

·
Registered
190 Posts
So you did not read the page... as it mentions steady lights as well.

Does not appear you read my post either... as there was a key part right at the end of that sentence which you ignored.

I'm not saying the OP will ever get a citation, obviously many officers feel it's not a big deal. Same way with dark tint.

Ready to Rumble......in this corner.....

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'll use the OP's state as an example:

V C Section 24616 Rear facing Auxiliary Lamps

"24616. (a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with one or two rear-facing auxiliary lamps. For the purposes of this section, a rear-facing auxiliary lamp is a lamp that is mounted on the vehicle facing rearward. That lamp shall meet the photometric and performance requirements of the Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1424 for cargo lamps.

(b) A rear-facing auxiliary lamp may project only a white light, with the main cone of light projecting both rearward and downward. The main cone of light shall illuminate the road surface or ground immediately rearward of a line parallel to the rear of the vehicle for a distance not greater than 50 feet. The main cone of light may not project to the front or sides of the vehicle.
(c) A rear-facing auxiliary lamp may be activated only when the vehicle is stopped. A vehicle equipped with a rear-facing auxiliary lamp shall also be equipped with a system that allows activation of the lamp only when the vehicle is in the "park" setting, if the vehicle is equipped with an automatic transmission, or in the "neutral" setting with the parking brake engaged, if the vehicle is equipped with a manual transmission.
(d) A vehicle equipped with a rear-facing auxiliary lamp may have an activation switch accessible to the operator from the rear of the vehicle. "

(just a note... as I'm sure people will mention this.. "lamp", as in a device that casts light. Same thing as a "taillamp")

If the light cluster only came on when braking then this could be a different situiation. IMHO the OP could argue that it's a "taillight" and it appears that CA allows "two or moer taillights".

Will the OP ever get a citation for that? Perhaps not. I'm just saying I know I would. Personally, I'm doing enough wrong... I don't need to give anyone a reason for pulling me over whenever they feel like it. People add illegal stuff to their vehicles all of the time. It's usually not a big deal. I'd say that this is one of those times.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I'll use the OP's state as an example:

V C Section 24616 Rear facing Auxiliary Lamps

"24616. (a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with one or two rear-facing auxiliary lamps. For the purposes of this section, a rear-facing auxiliary lamp is a lamp that is mounted on the vehicle facing rearward. That lamp shall meet the photometric and performance requirements of the Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1424 for cargo lamps.

(b) A rear-facing auxiliary lamp may project only a white light, with the main cone of light projecting both rearward and downward. The main cone of light shall illuminate the road surface or ground immediately rearward of a line parallel to the rear of the vehicle for a distance not greater than 50 feet. The main cone of light may not project to the front or sides of the vehicle.
(c) A rear-facing auxiliary lamp may be activated only when the vehicle is stopped. A vehicle equipped with a rear-facing auxiliary lamp shall also be equipped with a system that allows activation of the lamp only when the vehicle is in the "park" setting, if the vehicle is equipped with an automatic transmission, or in the "neutral" setting with the parking brake engaged, if the vehicle is equipped with a manual transmission.
(d) A vehicle equipped with a rear-facing auxiliary lamp may have an activation switch accessible to the operator from the rear of the vehicle. "

(just a note... as I'm sure people will mention this.. "lamp", as in a device that casts light. Same thing as a "taillamp")

If the light cluster only came on when braking then this could be a different situiation. IMHO the OP could argue that it's a "taillight" and it appears that CA allows "two or moer taillights".

Will the OP ever get a citation for that? Perhaps not. I'm just saying I know I would. Personally, I'm doing enough wrong... I don't need to give anyone a reason for pulling me over whenever they feel like it. People add illegal stuff to their vehicles all of the time. It's usually not a big deal. I'd say that this is one of those times.

You are reading into this wayyyy too much. The Aux lamp as defined in the link you supplied refers to a "cargo lamp" Something used to illuminate the cargo or unload of cargo. That is only regulated so not to blind a person following the vehicle.

Tail Light Code V C Section 24600 Taillamps
"(f) Taillamps on vehicles manufactured on or after January 1, 1969, shall be mounted not lower than 15 inches nor higher than 72 inches, except that a tow truck" ...PASS

Stop Lamp Code
"(h) Any supplemental stoplamp installed after January 1, 1987, shall comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 108 (49 C.F.R. 571.108). Any vehicle equipped with a stoplamp that complies with the federal motor vehicle safety standards applicable to that make and model vehicle shall conform to that applicable safety standard unless modified to comply with the federal motor vehicle safety standard designated in this subdivision."

49 C.F.R. 571.108
"S5.5.3 The taillamps on each vehicle shall be activated when the headlamps are activated in a steady-burning state, but need not be activated if the headlamps are activated at less than full intensity as permitted by paragraph S5.5.11(a).
S5.5.4 The stop lamps on each vehicle shall be activated upon application of the service rakes. The high-mounted stop lamp on each vehicle shall be activated only upon application of the service brakes."

So, long story short... As long as the requirement is met in some form or another you can do anything that doesn't violate another code ie flashing/rotating.​

·
Registered
593 Posts
You are reading into this wayyyy too much. The Aux lamp as defined in the link you supplied refers to a "cargo lamp" Something used to illuminate the cargo or unload of cargo. That is only regulated so not to blind a person following the vehicle.
I'm not sure where you are getting "cargo lamp" from axuliary lamp. I don't find Aux lamp defind as that. The Statute specifically states:

"For the purposes of this section, a rear-facing auxiliary lamp is a lamp that is mounted on the vehicle facing rearward."

(Gotta love definitions that are really nothing more then the statement itself... a rear facing lamp is a... lamp facing rearward).

Tail Light Code V C Section 24600 Taillamps
"(f) Taillamps on vehicles manufactured on or after January 1, 1969, shall be mounted not lower than 15 inches nor higher than 72 inches, except that a tow truck" ...PASS

Stop Lamp Code
"(h) Any supplemental stoplamp installed after January 1, 1987, shall comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 108 (49 C.F.R. 571.108). Any vehicle equipped with a stoplamp that complies with the federal motor vehicle safety standards applicable to that make and model vehicle shall conform to that applicable safety standard unless modified to comply with the federal motor vehicle safety standard designated in this subdivision."

49 C.F.R. 571.108
"S5.5.3 The taillamps on each vehicle shall be activated when the headlamps are activated in a steady-burning state, but need not be activated if the headlamps are activated at less than full intensity as permitted by paragraph S5.5.11(a).
S5.5.4 The stop lamps on each vehicle shall be activated upon application of the service rakes. The high-mounted stop lamp on each vehicle shall be activated only upon application of the service brakes."​

So, long story short... As long as the requirement is met in some form or another you can do anything that doesn't violate another code ie flashing/rotating.​

Yes, as I mentioned, if the OP's lights come on with the brake likes then I think you'd have an argument that they meet the tail light requirements and are legal. If you read my post I did specifically point this out. But again, I don't think they come on with the brake lights. I think they stay on whenever a switch is turned on (take a look at the photo... they are on and the brake likes are not pressed).​

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Ladies and Gentlemen,

This thread is about a5ylum5150 new mod, not to fight about its legality. If you wanna fight take it to the inbox, otherwise, let's ge back to commenting on his mod. We've all seen the Tailgate thread get closed down because of similar issues.

Get Back On Topic

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.