Kia Forte Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ok so lets rephrase the thread to I got my car up to 130 but then backed down. There is no limiter on the cars. The shut off is when you let your foot off the gas. If you do not have your car set up for those speeds don't go that fast plain and simple.
I’m willing to bet there is a limiter somewhere within the system. The tires on the EX and SX are rated for 130 mph or 210 km/h, (H speed rating see here Tire Tech Information - How to Read Speed Rating, Load Index & Service Descriptions) thus I highly doubt KIA would allow for these cars to go any faster and risk the liability of a blow out at 210 + km/h. I’m not saying the forte can’t go faster just that it’s unlikely in stock form.

·
Registered
103 Posts

I’m willing to bet there is a limiter somewhere within the system. The tires on the EX and SX are rated for 130 mph or 210 km/h, (H speed rating see here Tire Tech Information - How to Read Speed Rating, Load Index & Service Descriptions) thus I highly doubt KIA would allow for these cars to go any faster and risk the liability of a blow out at 210 + km/h. I’m not saying the forte can’t go faster just that it’s unlikely in stock form.
Limit is suppose to be 132 mph on SX model given the speedometer error it should show up as 137-140s mph. That's my .02

·
Registered
1,804 Posts

The LS2s are cheap, their weight index barely meets the needs of the Koup, never mind the speed capability. I've heard the SX is limited to 132 MPH, but I wouldn't base that off the stock tire allowances.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Limit is suppose to be 132 mph on SX model given the speedometer error it should show up as 137-140s mph. That's my .02
I don't think the speedo would be that far off. My guess would be 2 MPH at most.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Most cars are speed limited to the tires the factory supplies.
"H" rated=113 mph, etc.
Earl
H= 130 MPH. I'm rockin AS530s now with a W speed rating, ooohhh yea!!! Some manufacturers, like KIA, will fit on a tire that barely meets the reqs. of the car. They just fit'em and move'em. The LS2s are cheap, meet all MINIMUM requirements, and have some sporty characteristics for the first 5k miles or so, which is all the manufacturer cares about tire-wise.

·
Registered
96 Posts
wat i do know is i hit 127mph on my 2.4 forte and got to paranoid and hit the brakes
I got to about 131 mph and lifted off ;) I was getting pretty close to the redline, so I don't think it had much more

·
Registered
28 Posts
the Forte SX Koup 2.4L 6 speed manual is limited at 137 MPH, I have hit the limiter on several occassions racing on open highway with very light traffic and dry roads during the day to make it as safe as possible lol. im dissapointed that there is even a limiter on the manual trans. it has plenty of gear left. that was in 5th gear around 5500 rpm. redline is 6500-6800, Im sure they will soon make an ECU Reflash to take the limiter out of the equation. but to anyone wanting to know, the limiter on my Koup SX is 137 MPH, and I will assume that is the same on all other 6 speed manuals 2.4L.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
the Forte SX Koup 2.4L 6 speed manual is limited at 137 MPH, I have hit the limiter on several occassions racing on open highway with very light traffic and dry roads during the day to make it as safe as possible lol. im dissapointed that there is even a limiter on the manual trans. it has plenty of gear left. that was in 5th gear around 5500 rpm. redline is 6500-6800, Im sure they will soon make an ECU Reflash to take the limiter out of the equation. but to anyone wanting to know, the limiter on my Koup SX is 137 MPH, and I will assume that is the same on all other 6 speed manuals 2.4L.
RRM makes a piggyback, so ECU mods are out there. I wouldn't say "racing on open highway", I'd change that to "racing on open track", lol.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
sfr is supposed to have a flash also but good luck getting a hold of them for anything. I think if Bill Gates emailed or called them saying he wanted to give each employee 1 Billion dollars they wouldn't respond

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
sfr is supposed to have a flash also but good luck getting a hold of them for anything. I think if Bill Gates emailed or called them saying he wanted to give each employee 1 Billion dollars they wouldn't respond
LOL, that's a scary business practice!

·
Registered
161 Posts
i hit 140 mph in my 2.4l turbo koup sx and the limiter kicks in. the car will go faster. im only at about 5k rpms at 140 mph in 5th gear when the limiter kicks in and i still have all of 6th left

·
Registered
1,247 Posts

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I hit 125mph on an old stretch of road unused for a while. Didn't reach 130mph ran out of road. Will try to reach if 130mph if possible at an old airfield.

Where are those?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well according to one car magazine I just looked at (I think Car and Driver), the top speed is limited to 127MPH. Which, in all honesty, I can't imagine reaching anyway. But I think that answers my question. Unless anyone else out there has passed that... Yikes!
I've hit 135 in my Kia forte in the woods out of the city limit

61 - 77 of 77 Posts