Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One at the timing chain cover and the other at the oil pan. It was a small leak in both locations, but still. Came from the factory like this. Weird! Sealant is used on both rather than a gasket.

Will continue to monitor occasional engine knocking noise, but it seems to be an issue with several other Forte owners, both EX and SX.

On a side note: I'm actually going to have the oil pan sealant done again by an indie shop. The dealer mechanic put so much sealant on it that almost 1/2" excess was squeezed out around the flange, and that means that it happened on the inside too, which is NOT good. It's so messy it looks like a child did it. No leak though, LOL.

Dealerships...ugh.

If you have a chance, get under your cars and look around for leaks.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,879 Posts
I always keep an eye out for leaks by looking at the concrete under my cars after they've sat for a while. No leaks on any of my Kias since I started buying them in 2000...Knock on wood...LoL!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, not all sealants are the same. I'm sure the factory uses top notch stuff, but I had 2 oil leaks in 2 different places. One at the timing chain cover and the other at the oil pan. I did notice that the pan bolts seemed to be cranked down super tight and that there was what appeared to be metal on metal from pan to block in one corner of the pan. That shouldn't have happened from the factory. So, either not enough sealant in that spot, or they tightened the pan bolts too much and got metal to metal.

The dealer re-sealed it, and as I said, did a horrible job on the oil pan(timing chain cover they did okay), with way too much sealant. I took it to an indie shop, explained the mess the dealer made of the oil pan sealant, and that I was concerned about that much sealant oozing out on the INSIDE of the engine also, and asked them to look for that when they did the job. They said they found a lot on the inside of the engine and scraped it off and cleaned it up. You DO NOT want a condition like that because the excess sealant will wind up in your engine, blocking oil galleys...or worse yet, the oil pickup screen.

Got the car back from the indie shop and it's a very clean job, little to no sealant visibles along the oil pan flange, and completely dry - no leaks. They used Permatex "The Right Stuff", which is black, instant sealing, and specified for use on assembly lines by GM, Chrysler, Mercedes, etc.

I can start enjoying the car again. Beware of dealer service...any dealer, and brand. I had an Audi and they screwed up as bad as any other dealer. They just don't care, they're under time constraints, and they often do sloppy work...the numerous horror stories are out there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, not all sealants are the same. I'm sure the factory uses top notch stuff, but I had 2 oil leaks in 2 different places. One at the timing chain cover and the other at the oil pan. I did notice that the pan bolts seemed to be cranked down super tight and that there was what appeared to be metal on metal from pan to block in one corner of the pan. That shouldn't have happened from the factory. So, either not enough sealant in that spot, or they tightened the pan bolts too much and got metal to metal.

The dealer re-sealed it, and as I said, did a horrible job on the oil pan gasket set(timing chain cover they did okay), with way too much sealant. I took it to an indie shop, explained the mess the dealer made of the oil pan sealant, and that I was concerned about that much sealant oozing out on the INSIDE of the engine also, and asked them to look for that when they did the job. They said they found a lot on the inside of the engine and scraped it off and cleaned it up. You DO NOT want a condition like that because the excess sealant will wind up in your engine, blocking oil galleys...or worse yet, the oil pickup screen.

Got the car back from the indie shop and it's a very clean job, little to no sealant visibles along the oil pan flange, and completely dry - no leaks. They used Permatex "The Right Stuff", which is black, instant sealing, and specified for use on assembly lines by GM, Chrysler, Mercedes, etc.

I can start enjoying the car again. Beware of dealer service...any dealer, and brand. I had an Audi and they screwed up as bad as any other dealer. They just don't care, they're under time constraints, and they often do sloppy work...the numerous horror stories are out there.
That is quite a sad fact about dealer's work. Well, a friend of mine just recently experienced a leak on his oil pan gasket and he was planning to brought it to his local dealer to fix it. Luckily I was able to find this post so that I can suggest to my friend to bring his car to other shop besides the dealer because of the things that you said. Anyway, thanks for telling it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That is quite a sad fact about dealer's work. Well, a friend of mine just recently experienced a leak on his oil pan gasket and he was planning to brought it to his local dealer to fix it. Luckily I was able to find this post so that I can suggest to my friend to bring his car to other shop besides the dealer because of the things that you said. Anyway, thanks for telling it.

Just because one dealer is sloppy doesnt mean they all are. Plus what if they fix it for free and do it right the first time?

·
Registered
50 Posts
LMAO about your reply!

I'm on my 3rd Kia and have not experienced any oil leaks at all. Engine replacement but no leaks
That is so funny. No leaks, but the engine exploded on the inside! Look, my mom had a 1990 Ford Festiva, which was actually a Kia in disguise, and while I hated to be seen in it as a teenager, it never broke down.

The 1999 to 2001 Kia Sephia was the worst car they ever made. It was made before Hyundai bought them out. I heard that they were running out of parts, so they bought bulk wiring, and it was the same color everywhere! Mechanics nightmare! Kia used to be like Diahtsu, terrible 3rd world or "developing nation" vehicles.

-Max

·
Registered
50 Posts
Engine woes and leaks...

The dealer re-sealed it, and as I said, did a horrible job on the oil pan(timing chain cover they did okay), with way too much sealant. I took it to an indie shop, explained the mess the dealer made of the oil pan sealant, and that I was concerned about that much sealant oozing out on the INSIDE of the engine also, and asked them to look for that when they did the job. They said they found a lot on the inside of the engine and scraped it off and cleaned it up. You DO NOT want a condition like that because the excess sealant will wind up in your engine, blocking oil galleys...or worse yet, the oil pickup screen.

I hope none of those things happens to my Forte'! All I want to add is how much space there is on the back of the 2.0liter engine. It looks like it is REALLY EASY to work on. So, when a dealer does a crappy repair job, I would be all over the Service manager to have it done properly. I bet the pan got bent on a speed bump,or deep pothole, or it is just plain defective. So, instead of replacing the pan cover, they just jam a bunch of sealant in it and hope for the best? Unacceptable. :mad:

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,879 Posts
That is so funny. No leaks, but the engine exploded on the inside! Look, my mom had a 1990 Ford Festiva, which was actually a Kia in disguise, and while I hated to be seen in it as a teenager, it never broke down.

The 1999 to 2001 Kia Sephia was the worst car they ever made. It was made before Hyundai bought them out. I heard that they were running out of parts, so they bought bulk wiring, and it was the same color everywhere! Mechanics nightmare! Kia used to be like Diahtsu, terrible 3rd world or "developing nation" vehicles.

-Max
HMMMM...I had a 2000 Spectra GSX (same running gear as the Sephia) and a 2001 Sephia. Neither car let us down ever. Drove the Spectra from FL to CA and FL to IL and the only bad thing that happened was a door ding in Blythe CA. The 2001 Sephia was traded in on a 2006 Spectra -- it was in such a nice condition it sold off the lot one day later. The 2000 Spectra was totaled by my daughter's boyfriend in 2006 also -- my daughter loved that car -- except for a fuel pump replacement due to a dead spot it never had to go in for repairs. I can assure you if my experience had been different I wouldn't have continued to buy Kias. The engines in these cars were 1.8L Mazda engines...so how come you never hear of Mazda making terrible engines?

One of the funniest things I remember about those models were the write-ups by Consumer Reports...2000 Sephia roughest idling 1.8L engine -- BUT -- under Mazda the 1.8L engine was smooth. Same engine - the real difference was the bias by the author. I don't believe anything I read in consumer reports...it's written by biased people. ...and when Kia came out with the 5/10 year warranty CR wrote "longer than usual warranty"...LOL!!! Being an "advocate" for the consumer...CR should have praised Kia for providing a warranty that would out-last the car's mortgage"...LOL!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread..

I have a 2010 Forte SX with the 2.4 and just came back from the dealership this morning for the 24000 km inspection.

I have the same oil leaks you described (oil pan and timing chain cover). The technical advisor told me they are doing these repairs very frequently especially on the 2.4 and 2.0 Kia engines.

I am using synthetic oil in my cars, I wonder if it can increase oil leaks. I always used this in my 06 Rio (93000 km with no leaks) and my 00 Civic SI-R (173000 km and no leaks...and severly beaten by myself!!).

Repair is scheduled for next tuesday, I'll keep you informed.

smille76

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread..

I have a 2010 Forte SX with the 2.4 and just came back from the dealership this morning for the 24000 km inspection.

I have the same oil leaks you described (oil pan and timing chain cover). The technical advisor told me they are doing these repairs very frequently especially on the 2.4 and 2.0 Kia engines.

I am using synthetic oil in my cars, I wonder if it can increase oil leaks. I always used this in my 06 Rio (93000 km with no leaks) and my 00 Civic SI-R (173000 km and no leaks...and severly beaten by myself!!).

Repair is scheduled for next tuesday, I'll keep you informed.

smille76
It's not the oil. The gasket material or the technique used during the 2010 run was incorrect. You can pretty much count on the 2010 Engines leaking at those areas. Mine's starting to leak too, the people I've spoke to also have this problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i know the 2.4 is still doing this. i have about 30k on mine and had it in for the leaks. not even 2 months later its already leaking from the same spot again. i did notice alot of excesssealant as well and will be makin sure the dealer doesn't do it again. i bought this car new so i wouldn't have to be the one to fix it. so i would expect them to show some care in how they treat my vehicle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts