Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Few posts late with this, but I just noticed the intro forum.

I'm a 43-year-old husband and father of four. I'm a computer systems analyst/programmer by trade, though my father was a mechanic, and I learned an awful lot about auto repair from him, as I worked in his shop for him for several years before getting out and making my own way.

Over the years, in my house the wife has typically gotten the most dependable vehicle, and I have driven the one that was closest to needing traded-in/put out of our misery. For the last few years, that's been a Pontiac Montana minivan (yay, me).

We've just enrolled our youngest two kids into college, so my mid-life crisis has started to kick in. Paying college tuition x2 means I have to have my crisis on the cheap, so to the Kia lot I went. The funny thing is that, when I took the wife along on the last day of the search (for final approval, of course), she wanted me to buy a Soul. The funny part is that while I love the Soul commercials on TV with the jammin hamsters, she couldn't stand them, but she fell in love with the Soul, and I didn't much care for it. Maybe if it had a V-6....

Anyway, I ended up with a Titanium Koup EX with the 2.0L A/T, sunroof and auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink. I basically got the sunroof and mirror options for free, as they were really wanting to unload their inventory and it was the end of the month. Plus, there is a nice rebate on 2010's right now, and I was able to take advantage of their 20-month/200,000 mi. warranty promotion. All in all I'm really happy with my deal. I managed to avoid financing a lot of the features I will be adding later (a.k.a. my cup is half full :p ). I'm really looking forward to doing a little modding and "making it my own", so to speak.

Suffice it to say I'm not missing the minivan *at all*. :cool:

·
Registered
644 Posts
Welcome to the forum, even though you have some extra posts.. ;)

Congrats on your koup.

Even if the Soul had a v-6, I still don't think it would be worth getting over a koup lol

Just wondering what features you plan to add later. :]

·
Registered
82 Posts
I always found the Butler warranty a little bit sketchy. I bought mine from Skillman because I knew the salesman decently well.

They did seem pretty nice over there though. How was the experience inside the dealership?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just wondering what features you plan to add later. :]

• Tinted windows
  • Fog lights
  • Rear spoiler
  • LED tail lights
  • HID or projector headlights
  • Front struts stabilizer bar
  • CAI (maybe)
  • Magnaflow muffler
  • Possible rebadging
  • Body kit
I always found the Butler warranty a little bit sketchy. I bought mine from Skillman because I knew the salesman decently well.

They did seem pretty nice over there though. How was the experience inside the dealership?
"Butler" warranty? I thought it was a KIA warranty??

My experience was ok. No better or worse than I expected. The salesman was a little transparent in some of his "I had a customer once who..." stories, but overall they treated me well and I think I got a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Butler extends the warranty assuming that the amount of people that hold on to the car for 20 years will be so small compared to the gains they get from the promotion.

I'm not sure if the terms require you to get all service done at the dealership, but that could also play a factor.

I'm not saying it is a bad thing at all, just that it seemed a little bit sketchy when I picked up my forte.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Butler extends the warranty assuming that the amount of people that hold on to the car for 20 years will be so small compared to the gains they get from the promotion.

I'm not sure if the terms require you to get all service done at the dealership, but that could also play a factor.

I'm not saying it is a bad thing at all, just that it seemed a little bit sketchy when I picked up my forte.
Huh. I did not realize that. I guess it does seem a bit sketchy, since they didn't make that clear to me. Oh well, in the absence of anything else that might deter me from buying from Butler, I guess I'm alright. Who knows, maybe the extended warranty will be as good as they would lead one to believe. The fact of the matter is that it's quite likely I won't have this car in 10 years, much less 20. If I do, I'll keep you guys posted on developments at that time. :p

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Yeah, the dealership can extend the warranty (they wanted to sell me another 5 years/50,000 miles for almost $4,000). So any issues after 10 years or 100,000 miles you will likely need to go to that specific dealership for repairs. And I imagine its just a powertrain warranty because every car needs a new paint job and interior after 20 years.

Anyway, If I haven't already said it welcome and congrats. You're not our only member going through a mid-life crisis so you are in good company. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
You guys see many Forte's around? I haven't seen too many here.

Copper, I just moved back to Chesterton from West Lafayette- Graduated in August. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts