Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have a DIY to how to adjust the hand brake / e-brake? I thought i saw one couple of months ago but search isn't finding any results. :(

also ..... completely different question but, anyone got linkys to rotors for our koup?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I don't have a DIY on it but this is how you do it...

1) engage your e-brake to be able to get to the adjusting nut (should be below the hand brake, 10mm nut) Tighten it.

2) remove your rear wheals.

The rear drums should have a small hole in them. Make sure the hole is towards the bottom (turn the wheel/hub/drum so that hole is at it's lowest point). This will allow you to adjust the clearence on the shoes.

Use a flathead screwdriver and push the adjusting wheel inside. (you wanna aim on the upper portion of the adjusting wheel so the shoes adjust outward).

The adjusting wheel is similar to a gear, if that helps you out. So you goal is to use the flathead to push the "teeth" towards the car to push the brake shoes outwards. MAKE SURE YOU ADJUST THEM EQUALLY ON BOTH SIDES.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have a DIY on it but this is how you do it...

1) engage your e-brake to be able to get to the adjusting nut (should be below the hand brake, 10mm nut) Tighten it.

2) remove your rear wheals.

The rear drums should have a small hole in them. Make sure the hole is towards the bottom (turn the wheel/hub/drum so that hole is at it's lowest point). This will allow you to adjust the clearence on the shoes.

Use a flathead screwdriver and push the adjusting wheel inside. (you wanna aim on the upper portion of the adjusting wheel so the shoes adjust outward).

The adjusting wheel is similar to a gear, if that helps you out. So you goal is to use the flathead to push the "teeth" towards the car to push the brake shoes outwards. MAKE SURE YOU ADJUST THEM EQUALLY ON BOTH SIDES.
In case you didn't know, we DO NOT have drums

·
Registered
312 Posts
Very true, but they do have drum e-brakes ;)

:O

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very true, but they do have drum e-brakes ;)

:O
I still don't think you're getting what i am saying. KOUPS (and i m pretty sure all North American Fortes) Do Not have drum brakes. thats what i meant by drums. i know disc break and my rear brakes are disc brakes. Now can we get an opinion from someone who owns a Forte, or remotely knows their specs?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
silly question to make your think a little.

if your car doesnt have drum brakes in the rear- what magical brake part is engaging the E-brake?

93det did a very fine job of explaining - the problem is folks comprehending.

go ahead, jack your conus koup up- remove the wheels- you will see exactly what 93det described.

if- after you do this- you find that there is not a teeny tiny mini drum brake set up in there........flame me away.

i park my car on a hill-car nose up every day- and i engage my E-brake before letting the clutch out- yeah- i am pretty sure there is a little drum in there. after all-if i have the engine turned off, foot on brake, pull E-brake-clutch held in... ....what magical power is making the hydralics clamp those brake shoes closed?

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
silly question to make your think a little.

if your car doesnt have drum brakes in the rear- what magical brake part is engaging the E-brake?

93det did a very fine job of explaining - the problem is folks comprehending.

go ahead, jack your conus koup up- remove the wheels- you will see exactly what 93det described.

if- after you do this- you find that there is not a teeny tiny mini drum brake set up in there........flame me away.

i park my car on a hill-car nose up every day- and i engage my E-brake before letting the clutch out- yeah- i am pretty sure there is a little drum in there. after all-if i have the engine turned off, foot on brake, pull E-brake-clutch held in... ....what magical power is making the hydralics clamp those brake shoes closed?
So you're saying that we have BOTH disc brake and Drum Brake in the back?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I still don't think you're getting what i am saying. KOUPS (and i m pretty sure all North American Fortes) Do Not have drum brakes. thats what i meant by drums. i know disc break and my rear brakes are disc brakes. Now can we get an opinion from someone who owns a Forte, or remotely knows their specs?
The pics were takin' from the 2.4 Koupe fsm and I've actually adjusted the e-brake and drums on the koupe. Btw, I've owned a Forte, it's still under my name, I just gave it to my brother 'cause he has a kid and I don't think he wants to drive him around in a shit box 240 ;)

·
Registered
312 Posts
So you're saying that we have BOTH disc brake and Drum Brake in the back?
Yup, example:
My 240's stock e-brake were connected to the rear calipers (4 disk brakes) but when I upgraded to z32 brakes, the e-brake got changed to drums, but still used disk brakes for the calipers (front and back), like the Forte.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
hey the 240 is a good car.. even with lots of miles :) just saying

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup, example:
My 240's stock e-brake were connected to the rear calipers (4 disk brakes) but when I upgraded to z32 brakes, the e-brake got changed to drums, but still used disk brakes for the calipers (front and back), like the Forte.

Oh, my bad then. Sorry.

and yeah i looked on the site but i thought it was just a non american version just because i didnt realize you can have both system on a car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
A little late on this but...

I believe on most modern cars, even those that have 4 wheel disc brakes, use a drum system on both rear wheels for the e-brake. They sit behind hollow hub rotors in the rear with access to the adjuster from said rotors.

I've never adjusted my e-brake on the forte (I actually need to, that's why I'm on this thread to begin with), but I did it on my 94 BMW and the technique is exactly the same, as is the rear setup.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
The way det93 described adjust our hand brake is incorrect. We do have 4 wheel discs along with that we have a combination disc drum all in the rear set up. You should take clean this combo when you swap your winters and summers for those in these types of climates or clean them once a year otherwise.

To adjust the hand brake: Open your centre console. Clear it out you'll notice theres a felt pad at the bottom. Lift it out you'll see the adjustment nut for th hand brake. I forget the way to turn it but voila there's your adjustment nut.

Reactions: kvndoom

·
Registered
88 Posts
The way det93 described adjust our hand brake is incorrect. We do have 4 wheel discs along with that we have a combination disc drum all in the rear set up. You should take clean this combo when you swap your winters and summers for those in these types of climates or clean them once a year otherwise.

To adjust the hand brake: Open your centre console. Clear it out you'll notice theres a felt pad at the bottom. Lift it out you'll see the adjustment nut for th hand brake. I forget the way to turn it but voila there's your adjustment nut.
Sorry for the necro, but here goes.

It's a 12mm nut. Very tight space, so a ratcheting open-end wrench will work best unless you want to remove the center console. I (painfully) tightened mine 1/8th turn at a time for what seemed like an eternity. :BashHead:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry for the necro, but here goes.

It's a 12mm nut. Very tight space, so a ratcheting open-end wrench will work best unless you want to remove the center console. I (painfully) tightened mine 1/8th turn at a time for what seemed like an eternity. :BashHead:

The dealer told me they had to remove the center console. Quoted me 3 hours labor. I said no way. Took it home and started to disassemble the console and discovered the little trap door to the adjustment.

Went back to the dealer and advised. They said the book said to remove the console. No way. someone cant read.>:D

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
2010 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L does have drum shoe brakes & disc brakes.

I chaned the rear drum shoe brakes on my 2010 Kia Forte SX 2.4L 6sp manual.

Had to remove calipers, 2 bolts & 2 bolts (all are 14MM) then removed the speed sensors (DON'T LOSE THE LOCKING RINGS) then pull towards you the entire hub/rotor. Set on ground then gently hit with a hammer/mallet to drop the rotor/hub leaving only the rear brake shoes ready for repair.

Took me 1hr30min.

My question is. How do i adjust & tighten the E brake. The forte moves/rolls.

Also the ABS & ESC are on? Was i to disconnect the batt before repair? I disconnected the batt & pulled the mem fuse for 4hrs. The ABS & ESC still on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
too keep it simple, you have internal drum brakes for your E brake, this is only for e brake,, really unless you have driven while the hand brake is on or like drifting it rarely needs adjusting. the lever adjusyment is meant for the cable stretching over a long time ....rear braking is operated by the caliper... Too adjust properly do as previous description using blade too adjust e brake too a slight resistence is felt,,,, then and only then adjust inside the car lever adjustment nut

1 - 20 of 21 Posts