Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever run into this? I looked through this section first to see if anything popped up but I didn't see anything. My car just started doing this this morning. It turns over and over and over and then finally starts. I'm not clueless on cars as I've been around them my entire life and I work for a Toyota dealer (parts) but still. It's definitely not right though. Normally it fires right off when I hit the key. This morning and this afternoon it's cranked entirely too long before firing. I'm talking like 5 seconds or so of actual cranking before firing. Ideas or comments?

Josh

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
mine has done it once but that was when i got it early feburary so i assumed it was because of the weather being so cold. havnt ran into that problem yet. maybe contact the dealership and ask. if you find out anything, pls post. cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mine has done it once but that was when i got it early feburary so i assumed it was because of the weather being so cold. havnt ran into that problem yet. maybe contact the dealership and ask. if you find out anything, pls post. cheers
Yep, it's still under warranty so now's the time to have the dealer take a look at it. I'll post any findings.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
same thing happened here too... it actually didn't even start... hasn't happened again.. fluke maybe??

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,880 Posts
If it continues to take a long time cranking take it to the dealer. If it was a one-time problem they MAY be able to find the problem. You can check something for yourself -- try turning the key on and listen for the fuel pump...should run for 2 seconds. then try cranking the engine. If you have a leaking injector or a defective pressure regulator one of these could be releasing the pressure in your fuel line causing the long crank time. If this is the case, letting the fuel pump run before cranking will restore the fuel pressure allowing the injectors to work. Cranking the engine when the fuel pressure is low will cause a long crank time.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah i have had this same problem. I found letting the fuel pump run and waiting for the gas gauge to rise cures the problem. I haven't had it happen since i started doing this. Had a civic that would do this too on slight occasions. I always found letting the fuel pump kick up the pressure like fortesx2.4 said resolves the issue. I have also noticed my fuel gauge sometimes doesn't go up instantly when i turn the key to start. Wait for your fuel gauge to rise if you can't hear the fuel pump. (You should be able to hear it though)

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,880 Posts
you know it could even be a symptom of 10% ethanol gasoline...how gasoline is blended makes a big difference in the operation of an engine...you could have gasoline blended for winter and then on a day with high temperatures could affect starting. I could go into some stories about this but don't have the time...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had this happen once but only once. Of course I havent even had it 2 weeks :p but only once and i only let it turn over a couple of times before I i stopped then tried again and it was like nothing ever happened.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, it happened twice in the same day....yesterday. It happened once, first thing in the morning and then again yesterday afternoon. When I got in it to go home last night, it didn't happen. I stopped at the bank on the way home and it started up just fine. When I started it this morning to come to work it started just fine. I'll hold off for now on calling the dealer to see if it happens again. If it happens even one more time, I'll call to schedule an appointment. Until then, I'll chalk it up to a fluke.

Please keep posting on this though, especially if anyone actually takes it in to the dealer. It'll be very interesting to see what is found.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've had the hard crank twice on my 2.0 sedan. Once during a cold winter morning and also again today, a wet and damp morning. Today wasn't as bad, turned the key for about 2 seconds and it was just hard cranking. Tried it again a second time and after 2 seconds of hard crank, the engine turned. I wonder if it is weather related, something to do with the fuel? I'm not really concerned at this point but if it does start to happen more frequently I will definitely have the dealer look at it. Although I doubt they would probably find the issue if there is indeed one or spend much time on it if they know your engine will eventually start.

I had a 2005 Toyota Corolla that did the same thing sometimes, although it usually happened after you drove the car for a while and turned off the engine and started it again in about 10 mins. There was a long thread in the Corolla forum about it and no one could seem to find out the exact cause even after bringing it into the dealer. There were different theories ranging from the immobilizer chip in the key, or the gas pump, or vapor lock.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine started doing it a while ago (sedan 2.0). No matter the weather: cold, hot, humid, dry. It usually happens when the car has been sitting for 3-4 hours. I kind of thought it was related to my other problem (shift hesitation and delay on the manual transmission) but I see now that it might not be. It actually didn't start one time, I had to restart it for it to fire up. Problem is, if I go to the dealer, it probably won't do it then. And since my dealer is an hour away, I'm not inclined to go too often. I've be using the same trick as Rickster434 and it does the job but I don't think it's normal on a new car.

Could it be that the RPM is too low?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I have had a slightly longer (additional 4 cranks, normally takes 2 to 3 to start) cranking needed to start after it sat around for 1 to 5 hours. It doesn't happen often and I have never had it fail to start or ever had a problem first thing in the morning. Haven't had any hot weather yet this year so don't know how it will behave around 28C to 34C temps (that's hot in my neck of the woods).

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
get the dealer to check the immobilizer antenna, if the antenna goes than it wont read the key properly and the car wont start. It'll do the cranking thing but the car wont start. I had that problem with my '09 spectra and the dealer replaced the antenna and it worked fine after that

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I was going to say something like the above.. post
fuel pump regulator issue is likely a possablity it could be sticking open/ or sticking closed hard to say which due to the fact either way would make the car hard to start if too much gas.. car is flooded and if it sticks closed of course not enough gas to make a fire for the spark.

its a thought for sure something here is a little werid for a new car should start right away.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Anyone ever run into this? I looked through this section first to see if anything popped up but I didn't see anything. My car just started doing this this morning. It turns over and over and over and then finally starts. I'm not clueless on cars as I've been around them my entire life and I work for a Toyota dealer (parts) but still. It's definitely not right though. Normally it fires right off when I hit the key. This morning and this afternoon it's cranked entirely too long before firing. I'm talking like 5 seconds or so of actual cranking before firing. Ideas or comments?

Josh

So, 2 months have gone by........and no word from you.

You ever get this fixed?

·
Registered
522 Posts
mine seems to so the same think but only in the a.m. after sitting over night , will
crank over but not start , then after the second attempt it will start up ok.

i hope the spelling is ok for you Gomer

1 - 20 of 33 Posts