Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the electrical guru's out there, what would be the best/most efficient way to go about hardwiring my GPS?

I've done some research on this and it seems the easiest way is to simply buy a 12v power outlet (female end with wires), wire it into the fuse box, then run the Garmin plug to that; albeit in a hidden location, thus freeing up the factory power outlets. Cutting the plug off the GPS wire is out due to the fact the GPS runs off 5v, not 12v, and the plug end is what regulates and reduces the 12 to 5.

That being said, has anyone done this before (in any vehicle, not just the Forte)? This is the next project I'm attempting to conquer...

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Sounds like a great idea and in the sedans there's a lot of room beside the fuse panel to the left of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never had a chance to mess around under the dash of my Koup, so I'm not entirely sure how much room there is, but I would assume it's the same as the sedan.

Sort of excited to get this project underway when I can!

·
Registered
973 Posts
I had serious problems removing the dash when I tried to run the cord for my gps behind it to the 12v outlets, Still not sure how to remove it...
If anyone has done it, DIY article PLEASE? =]
I like to have my gps in the drivers side corner on the glass, barely visible to people just walking by but I can just glance left and see it, and it isn't distracting like when in the center of the windshield...

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have mine mounted to the center of the dash just in front of the clock. Stays out of my line of sight, yet is easy to reach. I'm hoping to the run the cable down towards the glovebox, then under the dash from there. We'll see though...

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I have mine mounted to the center of the dash just in front of the clock. Stays out of my line of sight, yet is easy to reach. I'm hoping to the run the cable down towards the glovebox, then under the dash from there. We'll see though...
I do the same with my TOMTOM...

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
However, it may be easier to mount on the dash to the left of the gauge cluster. It's really easy to hide yout wiring underneath the rubber moulding by the fusebox.
I would mount it there because it does sound easier, but I'm more comfortable using my right hand to punch in information. And it's a more familiar location since it's close to where the computer is in my po-po car. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts