Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I've been talking about this on some other thread and decided to make my own because I'm not finding a definitive answer to it. So I will start by saying I have an 2010 SX Koup with 453 miles on the engine. I had recently bought and self installed a Turbo-Kits CAI. When it comes to car parts I'm pretty hands on with installing after market parts. I'm positive that the CAI was installed properly. Now I have noticed that my miles per gallon has been suffering since the install. My ODO average keeps going up and down (mostly down). Yesterday I was at 21.7 mpg. Today I drove to work and my ODO was going crazy! It started at 21, then 20, then 18, then 10?! I had a full tank yesterday and only drove 20 miles since then. Now I'm just under 3/4 of a tank off 20 miles? Is there something I should be looking for under the hood? And signs or anything!? The Temperature has dropped here recently, but I've only had the car for a week or so now! Input anyone?

·
Registered
36 Posts
so im no expert but initial thoughts...
452 miles, its not even broken in your MPG is only gunna improve.
colder weather along with all the other things that come with it, not gunna help your figures much.
the reading on the display your taking about, takes awhile because its just an average not a definite figure, i think it needs at least 50km to get anywhere near an accurate result.
dont think theres a problem but let me know

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so im no expert but initial thoughts...
452 miles, its not even broken in your MPG is only gunna improve.
colder weather along with all the other things that come with it, not gunna help your figures much.
the reading on the display your taking about, takes awhile because its just an average not a definite figure, i think it needs at least 50km to get anywhere near an accurate result.
dont think theres a problem but let me know
It just bogles my mind that it went from 21 to like 12 mpg. Kinda an odd way to adjust itself!

·
Registered
769 Posts
stop revving to hear the CAI so much :D

Lol but on a serious note, that just kinda blows me away im confused as to why it would be that low even with the cold weather...

·
Registered
769 Posts
Mine tends to go crazy when i reset it.. itll go from 31 to 26 to 20 then once im up to speed where i wanna be then itl come up to about 28 then itll level out after about 30 or 40 miles to where it should be (27.5-28)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine tends to go crazy when i reset it.. itll go from 31 to 26 to 20 then once im up to speed where i wanna be then itl come up to about 28 then itll level out after about 30 or 40 miles to where it should be (27.5-28)
Well do you have a CAI installed? Because I did reset my MPG average today. But I took my car out on the highway on a 20 mile ride to philly (all highway) and i was only getting 21mpg. I did rev the engine a little the day I put the intake on. Nothing really much past that, its blowing my mind. My ECU is not overheating at all, I took the airbox out and mounted it with my CAI mounting kit. I mean >20 mpg isn't really what I want to see from a 4cyl engine..

·
Registered
769 Posts
no, mines bone stock.. try putting your stock exhaust back on for the break-in period and see where your MPG gets then let us know

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no, mines bone stock.. try putting your stock exhaust back on for the break-in period and see where your MPG gets then let us know
I will deff. give that a shot once I get a day off from work and the weather permits. Thanks for the input I appreciate it!

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,847 Posts
Okay I've been talking about this on some other thread and decided to make my own because I'm not finding a definitive answer to it. So I will start by saying I have an 2010 SX Koup with 453 miles on the engine. I had recently bought and self installed a Turbo-Kits CAI. When it comes to car parts I'm pretty hands on with installing after market parts. I'm positive that the CAI was installed properly. Now I have noticed that my miles per gallon has been suffering since the install. My ODO average keeps going up and down (mostly down). Yesterday I was at 21.7 mpg. Today I drove to work and my ODO was going crazy! It started at 21, then 20, then 18, then 10?! I had a full tank yesterday and only drove 20 miles since then. Now I'm just under 3/4 of a tank off 20 miles? Is there something I should be looking for under the hood? And signs or anything!? The Temperature has dropped here recently, but I've only had the car for a week or so now! Input anyone?

If my car was doing this I would first check the actual mileage by dividing the miles driven by the gallons purchased. If that "true" method indicates the mileage is okay I would take the car in to have them check the in-dash system. If the "true" method showed the car was getting terrible mileage I'd take it in to get them to fix what is wrong with the car!

·
Registered
105 Posts
If my car was doing this I would first check the actual mileage by dividing the miles driven by the gallons purchased. If that "true" method indicates the mileage is okay I would take the car in to have them check the in-dash system. If the "true" method showed the car was getting terrible mileage I'd take it in to get them to fix what is wrong with the car!
What he said...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hey Benj, like I told you the other day, you need to check the mileage manually. Remember that you must fill the tank in order for that to be accurate.

You have a few different things going on here:
1) You've modified your intake
2) The motor is not broken in yet
3) Winter fuel mix will yield less mileage

Go ahead and check the mileage the next time you fill up, but after that wait till you're got 2000 miles on the motor. It should get better.

As some suggested, you can always go back to stock intake to figure out if the intake is a problem.

I would stop worrying about the car's computer numbers. Just drive sensably and let us know what numbers you get when you check the mileage manually.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Yeah this Mpg gauge is more of a guess.. everytime you fill it up it will throw off the numbers..and I've noticed if you fill up and have to wait at a lot of stop lights (idle)
numbers will go down logically since your wasting gas and not moving down the road.

I'd wait before trying to rest the computer.. but as somebody else noticed your car has very few miles and after you hit a few thousand you should see a gain in fuel Mpg..

just curious,
Do you do a lot of stop&GO driving? Short trips?

Oh and its normal for Mpg number to drop on the read out when you fill the car up too
So keep that in mind too;)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Hey guys, after disconnecting the battery and resetting the ECU I did get an improvement!! I now get an average of 27-28 mpg. So if anyone does any MOD to the engine (bolt ons) please make sure to reset your ECU!! It will fix the problem! And I did do it manually and got the almost the same number!

·
Registered
196 Posts
It was good to hear that resetting the ECU helped clear things up. Next weekend might be a good time for couple hundred mile road trip on the open highway. Then you will see a bit of what the highway mileage is vs. your current driving conditions. Fill up just before entering the highway and right after the short road trip is done. I did this in my 2.0 L EX and got 36 mpg manually calculated using trip odometer. I went a little over 300 miles. I average almost 32 mpg locally. The EX doesn't have the average mpg readout.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Glad to hear that things are looking up. Wait til next spring when you'll have 5 or 6000 miles on the motor and the summer fuel comes back. It will all be OK.

·
Registered
36 Posts
like they said just check it yourself.
everything on the comp is averaged out from the moment you turn on the car, including the average speed.

·
Banned
75 Posts
umm you could have avoided this by unhooking your ecu before installing the intake... I just ordered my CAI from turbokits.com, directly after purchase they sent me my invoice along with install instructions. In there (if you would have read them :p) you will see that you are supposed to unhook the negative battery terminal, then take out the ecu.

That's probably the reason you had all that trouble, you goof. Read instructions next time :p

·
Registered
769 Posts
umm you could have avoided this by unhooking your ecu before installing the intake... I just ordered my CAI from turbokits.com, directly after purchase they sent me my invoice along with install instructions. In there (if you would have read them :p) you will see that you are supposed to unhook the negative battery terminal, then take out the ecu.

That's probably the reason you had all that trouble, you goof. Read instructions next time :p
If im not mistaken thats actually for relocating the ECU, personally I havent pulled the trigger on the CAI just yet, though i want to lol

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I actually never got the instructions afterwards they emailed me the PDF of it. I installed it from basic knowledge of intake installation. But reguardless it doesn't really matter. It's gonna get reset eventually! YOU BIG GOOF :rolleyes::D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts