Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was looking at the engine the other day and noticed that there's a lot of room at the back of the engine. Lots of room = easy access to the header.

I was thinking of taking the header off or just wrapping the header while it's on the engine.

Now I've heard of Thermo-tec years ago.

Have they come out with something better? Any one got any tips on the best way to do it on a Forte?

For novices reasons for wrapping the header are:

Higher exhaust temps so better/faster heat up of the cat for better emissions. Thus less open loop time in the winter=saves gas.

Lower under hood temps
- Less heatsoak (better MPGs in the city in the summer)
- Lower heat for the ECM to deal with (this is for you guys with the CAI).
- Faster AC cool down or better AC temps.

Basically makes the engine more efficient for >$50 and a few hours.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Sounds interesting, I'm going to check that out now but let me ask you this. Are you planning on ever replacing the headers on your Forte? If so, wouldn't you want to do that first? Just a thought. To answer your question however, there are a number of products on the market other then Thermo-tec. Just google it. I would need to do more research to find out what the best one for the money is but there it is.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hey Tebore......that is great information to share!
I admit thatit never occurred to me! But maybe now....... :)

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I smell a GTAFK group buy/ modification day in a timmies parking lot or Marty's garage....LOL

·
Registered
427 Posts
I was under the impression that the headers on our cars are not worth replacing. Wasnt it Turbokits that said that?

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I was under the impression that the headers on our cars are not worth replacing. Wasnt it Turbokits that said that?
They never said it's not worth replacing. They said it's well made enough that there was no point for TK to make a turbo manifold (turbo header) and a N/A header.

You can always get more power out of a better header. Better header means thicker walls to keep heat in(coatings), smoother bends, better flow matching across cylinders etc. All this makes for a more expensive header than OE wants to spend on.

That all said I've looked at the stock header and it looks fairly good, but again could be better.

I don't plan on replacing my header. But yes if I were to replace I'd wrap or coat them first.

After I posted the thread I looked around for new header wrap and found 2 things.

1. Ceramic coating for headers have come down in price and there's a place near Toronto that does it for $150. Basically this is like header wrapping but much better and more durable. Reviews say 40% reduction in heat underhood.

Fireball Performance Coatings - General FAQ

http://www.fireballcoatings.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

2. I found
Titanium Exhaust Wrap with LR Technology | Design Engineering, Inc.

This is a newer header wrap that eliminates a lot of the old problems with old header wrap.

I should have mentioned in my OP the risks of header wrap which might be over heating the header or rusting it out.

I've felt the heat and seen the header for our car and overheating the header shouldn't be an issue (more of an issue for turbo's thats where coatings help.). As for rust moisture was the cause. In the old days exhaust headers were behind the rad meaning water would hit it and the wrap would soak it in and keep it next to the header. In our engine the header is in the back between the firewall and engine. It's also fairly high up. Meaning it's hard for moisture to constantly hit the header. Also the above product doesn't absorb moisture as badly as the older products(so it says, I haven't used it).

For the more extreme guys who are thinking about wrap. Yes you can and people have wrapped their whole exhaust. This made it quieter (for those who want it) and it helped scavenging and cabin temps. Again Rust and overheating were issues, but you can plan around them (ex. don't wrap your cat).

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was doing some more thinking and setting my CAI up and realized I forgot to mention.

You can also use header wrap on your CAI pipes to keep the pipe insulated from underhood temps.

I took a look over at the SG forums on my search, and those guys have began to insulate their AC lines and intake pipes. No one has wrapped their header yet.

Perhaps someone in a warmer climate would like to give it a shot. I have to wait till about mid March or so before I can work on my car again because it's too cold for my girly hands.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I was doing some more thinking and setting my CAI up and realized I forgot to mention.

You can also use header wrap on your CAI pipes to keep the pipe insulated from underhood temps.

I took a look over at the SG forums on my search, and those guys have began to insulate their AC lines and intake pipes. No one has wrapped their header yet.

Perhaps someone in a warmer climate would like to give it a shot. I have to wait till about mid March or so before I can work on my car again because it's too cold for my girly hands.
Ill look into it and see if its something i can do on my own, if so Ill do it.

I live in Texas soo yeah, we have some pretty hot summers lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts