Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here are the "afters" for the headlight bake that I did this weekend.

Disclaimer: I don't deal with videos often so these are shaky and unedited.

Later on I'll get some stills up but my good camera crapped out on me so this is all I have to work with for the moment.

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The reflectors have 4 coats of nightshade on them. I was just going to leave them out but it looked a bit incomplete.

Would love some feedback....

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Looks really good but I'd be a little worried with cops though. Is that a sedan headlight swap or did you also paint the headlight housing?

·
Registered
114 Posts
shattered man! your do an amazing job! i love to have them but scared with baking headlights! my buddy with a 2010 mz3 did his, left marks inside and there is fogging...

have experienced any fogging?

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks really good but I'd be a little worried with cops though. Is that a sedan headlight swap or did you also paint the headlight housing?
I cracked those bad boys open. Since moving to Denver I don’t even see cops anymore. I’m not too worried about it. If I get grief though, I will let you guys know.

shattered man! your do an amazing job! i love to have them but scared with baking headlights! my buddy with a 2010 mz3 did his, left marks inside and there is fogging...

have experienced any fogging?
Thanks. I have never had fogging problems and this is the fourth set of lights I have baked. All headlight lenses will eventually cloud and turn yellow. I think 3M makes a $20 kit to restore lenses when that happens; it makes a huge difference.

This is definitely not a mod for beginners. You have to be very confident in your painting skills and attention to detail. If you don’t have patience or a steady hand then you’re better off swapping with a Sedan.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The reflectors have 4 coats of nightshade on them. I was just going to leave them out but it looked a bit incomplete.

Would love some feedback....
i love your wheels :)

so all you did after cracking them open was paint them? or did you add any other goodies?

did you paint them to match the sedan ones or did a lil more painting?

the tinting on the turnsignals is a lil dark i think-but who knows? may look different in real life...

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
really nice... I think it looks a lot better!

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,906 Posts
You painted the insides black too? Just like the sedan headlights...LoL!!!

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i love your wheels :)

so all you did after cracking them open was paint them? or did you add any other goodies?

did you paint them to match the sedan ones or did a lil more painting?

the tinting on the turnsignals is a lil dark i think-but who knows? may look different in real life...
Thanks!

I painted the "bezel" all black. This part on the sedan comes practically all black. The only other thing I did was put the nightshade on the reflector. These lights were really easy to work with because I didn't have to tape anything off.

The light through the reflector is dark during the day but that's what I wanted. I kept thinking about it and a car will never be perpendicular to me and need to know that my turn signal is blinking; they may want to know but they don't need to. Besides there is always the side mirror indicator.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
OMG, girlie!!! That is an amazing job!!! <3 I wish I had your skills!!! I want to do this so bad. Except with a really glossy black.

·
Registered
318 Posts
i hardly use my turn signals! i want to bake mine and do this but i never done it before nor do i have the time to do it haha... easier to swap.. yours came out great though. any tips for someone willing to do it but never have? and im confident but i also have a convection oven... dont know if it makes a difference in baking them or not

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
OMG, girlie!!! That is an amazing job!!! <3 I wish I had your skills!!! I want to do this so bad. Except with a really glossy black.
THANKS!!! I didn't have the confidence to use gloss. I was low on time and gloss is sooooo unforgiving.

i hardly use my turn signals! i want to bake mine and do this but i never done it before nor do i have the time to do it haha... easier to swap.. yours came out great though. any tips for someone willing to do it but never have? and im confident but i also have a convection oven... dont know if it makes a difference in baking them or not
Its all about taking your time. Don't rush this project.

I would think that a convection oven would work. Just be sure to take all the bulbs out and seal the openings before you bake. Make sure that you get the lights hot enough to loosen that sealant. If they aren't hot enough they won't open and you risk breaking them by forcing them.

Picking the proper paint and primer is important. Just as important as properly prepping anything that you are going to paint. Your paint should be for outdoor use and should be able to handle high temps.

Make sure you really clean the lights before you bake them back together. Turn the lights off and shine a flashlight through the lights to make sure there isn't any dust on the lens.

Lastly, if you are considering painting your reflector check your local laws and know what you are getting yourself into. Its not an easy thing to fix if you get a ticket.

EDIT: Disregard me being a hypocrite in this post by hurrying a project then advising against it....

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I know this is an old post. What high heat paints did you use? Can the same spray paints be bought at Autozone, O'Reilly's, advanced auto, Napa, Pepboys, home depot?

I have a pair of OEM/factory headlights that the chrome is off, flaking & has black behind the the reflector chrome.

I'd like to repair, diy paint them as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.