Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So anyone have any idea how hard it would be to run a charger
cable underneath the headliner? I was thinking of possibly modding my sunglass holder to drop down as a iPhone cradle for when I need gps but I would like to be able to charge it since the gps is a battery whore.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well then if I get desperate enough I will let you know how mine goes lol.

For what I need I think mine might be easy. Hoping I can just wedge it
up there without removing it completely.

·
Registered
348 Posts
A word of caution: the A pillars have airbags mounted in them, so be very gentle and don't just ram a screw driver back in there to pry the cover off. That may be the last thing you remember doing before opening your eyes to the paramedics laughing at you. Lots of stories out there - most of them true - of people getting tools blown back at them cause they poked the wrong part of the right airbag.

Start by disconnecting the negative battery cable and wait a few minutes for the systems to de-power... better safe than your buddy posting the YouTube video of the screwdriver in your forehead. Seems like a simple step and obvious enough, but it's amazing how many times it's neglected.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Best 'verified' story I have heard so far is of a tech at a Kia in 'central Canada' who had to do something under the centre console, so under the radio/behind the iPod spot. I believe it was a late-model Sorento as the vehicle had the knee-bag (anti-submarine air bag) but anyways, he is under there with most of the crash pad torn out, mucking around trying to get to whatever it was he was after. So the air bag control module is under there, too... and it was in his way. So he grabs his trusty 10mm and pulls the bolts, and being a tech he doesn't take the two seconds to unplug the unit... before flipping it up and over, out of the way.

That was the last thing he remembered, when he woke up in the hospital with broken bones all over. The vehicle must have had the key on, and the system was armed and ready... and thought it had rolled over - instant and full airbag deployment from all sides including the anti-sub bag right in the head. *Poof* *ouch*

So yeah... funny in a not-so-funny way... let his mistake be a lesson to never learn.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Does anyone know if there is an easier way to remove the antenna? This way i dont have to remove the back part of the headliner? the antenna broke off in the base while in a carwash a few weeks ago and im sick of not having any radio

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
you actually brought it to those auto car washes with the big brushes? With Kia's thin paint job is there any paint left on the car?? :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
haha yea, the paint is fine. I had the car go to my dealers body shop and put a couple layers of clear coat on it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a new antenna, so i was just going to remove the base from the roof and drill out the broken part and if needed retap the threads. So my question is.... do i need to remove the headliner to remove the base of the antenna?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just the "rod" part. Got another from my parts dept.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The rod screws into the base from the outside, no headliner work required. As long as you can see the threads where the rod screws into, then you'll be fine. If the base is damaged at all, or the threads to accept the rod are damaged, then you will need to pull the headliner.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Removal

The rod screws into the base from the outside, no headliner work required. As long as you can see the threads where the rod screws into, then you'll be fine. If the base is damaged at all, or the threads to accept the rod are damaged, then you will need to pull the headliner.

Hey kiatech! Would you mind giving me/us a good step by step on how to remove the headliner including how to get it out of the cr without damaging it soni can dynamat my ceiling and call the project done?! That would be very helpful! I know I can get drawings off kgis but your input would be very helpful!

Thx

D

·
Registered
119 Posts
I need to remove the base from the roof so the headliner needs to come down. The threads from the rod are broken off into the base :(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts