Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just had my first oil change today and have two different questions that Im having a hard time confirming. First, whats the oil change interval supposed to be for a 22 GT manual?

I see on Kia’s website that a car with synthetic oil can go as long as 10,000 miles or 12 months, my service advisor told me 5,000 miles or 6 months and then the sticker they put on window shows 2,500 miles or 3 months. Just slightly conflicting numbers if you ask me.

Normally I don't like waiting till the last mile or day to get oil changed. If I can get thousands more miles, and save some time and money without sacrificing my cars longevity that'd be great to know though. How long do you guys wait to get yours changed assuming normal driving conditions?

The other issue Im having is confirming if the 22 GT manual transmission model actually has service reminders on the LCD display by the steering wheel? I feel like Im missing an entire menu. If someone with the same model can let me know if it exists or not that would be awesome.

Thank you guys in advance! I absolutely love this car and the manual trans is a real treat!

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Grille Automotive lighting

· Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, Wagner-Tuning Intercooler, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S1 Intake
6,814 Posts

· Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
1,905 Posts
5k for me too. I do lots of highway driving at high speeds that put me at over 3k rpm for hours at a time.

Reactions: mobileterminaluser

· Registered
2023 Forte GT Manual Sporty Blue
343 Posts
I did my first at 4k. I‘ll be doing 5k/6 month intervals going forward. Currently do mostly city driving with lots of stop and go. Will be mostly highway in about 6 weeks.

I don’t know of any maintenance reminders on the instrument cluster. They may be there but I haven‘t read the owners manual cover to cover so cannot confirm one way or the other.

Also, welcome! Let’s see some more photos! Can‘t post too many ;)

Reactions: noturbonoproblem

· Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
1,905 Posts
I did my first at 4k. I‘ll be doing 5k/6 month intervals going forward. Currently do mostly city driving with lots of stop and go. Will be mostly highway in about 6 weeks.

I don’t know of any maintenance reminders on the instrument cluster. They may be there but I haven‘t read the owners manual cover to cover so cannot confirm one way or the other.

Also, welcome! Let’s see some more photos! Can‘t post too many ;)
Under the third tab in the cluster screen (where settings are for lane keep and stuff) at the bottom there's a service interval reminder section. On my car (which is a 2.0L, so idk if the interval is different for the GT), it lists 7500 miles and 1 year when reset.

Reactions: Intruder

· Registered
61 Posts
I have 2.0 as well, the owners manual says every 7.5k miles or 12 months for my vehicle, I do every 5k/6k miles or 6 months which ever comes first. Modern oils last a long time, however it depends on your usage. I do mostly Highway so I can go longer on my oil changes. If you do a lot of short trips or stop-and-go traffic I would do it a little bit before 5k. There is no magic number, it’s whatever you feel the most comfortable doing. Hope this helps!

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow thank you everyone for the quick replies, you guys are awesome! I went back to the dealer today and reconfirmed everything with them. 6 months 5,000 miles sounds like the standard for my style of driving in the suburbs of Chicago. They messed up by putting the sticker reminder at 3 months 3,000 miles.

I was also able to confirm the service reminder settings are actually in the infotainment settings and not the LCD driving display. They had to actually hook a computer up to reset the service reminders. It was driving me nuts that I could not figure it out.

Thank you all again, hope everyone has a great weekend!

· Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
1,905 Posts
Wow thank you everyone for the quick replies, you guys are awesome! I went back to the dealer today and reconfirmed everything with them. 6 months 5,000 miles sounds like the standard for my style of driving in the suburbs of Chicago. They messed up by putting the sticker reminder at 3 months 3,000 miles.

I was also able to confirm the service reminder settings are actually in the infotainment settings and not the LCD driving display. They had to actually hook a computer up to reset the service reminders. It was driving me nuts that I could not figure it out.

Thank you all again, hope everyone has a great weekend!
Sucks that they changed that to be less DIY-friendly. Pre-facelift cars (or maybe just more base model stuff with the smaller screen?) you can reset in the cluster screen under the settings menu. Done it myself a number of times.

Reactions: AP1929

· Registered
2022 Kia Forte GT, 2013 Kia Soul +, 2023 Kia Soul EX,1992 Toyota Corolla, 2021 Kia Sportage SX
319 Posts
You don't need it to be hooked up to reset the service reminders. If the dealer told you that they are lying to you. I do all my own oil changes and reset the service reminders all the time, and I have a 23 Soul, 22 Forte, 21 Sportage, 13 Soul.

· Registered
2022 Kia Forte LXS Fire Orange
593 Posts
An extra thought here.

If I'm using a petroleum/synthetic blend, as used to be offered at Kia dealers, I changed oil every 3,000 (severe service interval). I understand Kia now mandates full synthetic, which 5,000 miles is my severe service standard. You may want to double check to make sure you are getting full synthetic before you extend the service interval.

I also check my oil frequently and will change it earlier if it looks especially dirty. Oil degrades by the additives losing their effectiveness, but it also loses its lubricity with combustion particulates that end up in the oil. I do a lot of cold start, stop and go short distance driving, so I watch the oil carefully. Oil is cheap, engines are expensive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts