Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a 2010 with 203749KM on it and a few days ago the CEL came on. Went to fill up with gas today and the fuel would just sit in the tube.

Plugged in my Bluetooth OBD2 dongle ran the code and it came up as P0449. Anyone else run into this? I did a forum search and apparently no one has typed P0449 before.

Gonna pull the back seat and see if I can get at the fuel system and see what's up. Google search says it's something to do with the evaporative system.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
... Gonna pull the back seat and see if I can get at the fuel system and see what's up. Google search says it's something to do with the evaporative system.
If it were mine, I'd start by testing the vent valve circuit, after first checking the fuses.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Pretty sure I found the issue. There's a solenoid on the outside back of the fuel tank. It's currently only closing but not opening correctly. I'll post more later.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Sounds like you're referring to the vent valve (CCV), which is located next to the canister. If that's correct, then that valve not opening would be the cause of what's happening with your vehicle. The resistance of that valve should in the range of 15-19Ω.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Okay, full writeup in case anyone else encounters this:

- Engine light came on something like Tuesday night when I was somewhere below 1/3 tank gas. Ignored the light as the car was still driving just fine. (Bad habit... I know.)
- Thursday I was below 1/4 tank fuel and went to fill with gas. Could only put 2L fuel in before nozzle would click off. Looked and the fill tube was backed all the way up to the gas cap. Swore a bit and then replaced gas cap. Drove home.
- Ran the code via my Bluetooth ODB2 dongle. Reported a P0449. Looked it up online and didn't really know what it was talking about. Cleared the code. Texted a mechanic friend about it.
- Headed to a different mechanic friend's place cause I was expecting work to be done, and he's got tools for days. Tried filling up with gas on the way, hoping the cleared code would resolve the issue. It still backed up right away. Engine light came on again about 11 mins into the drive to my friend's
- The friend I texted got back to me and explained what it probably was. There is a solenoid attached to a canister on the outside of the car behind the fuel tank. (Picture One)
- Removed solenoid and filter (10mm nut and bolt, pliers for the hose clamps)
- This solenoid has an 'open' default position (Picture 4 and 5), Then when power is applied it closes for as long as power is applied. It was stuck in the closed position even when power was not applied (Picture 2 and 3).
- Lubed the solenoid with teflon lube (Picture 6). Had choices between teflon and graphite. Gut instinct said go with the teflon as graphite is electrically conductive and the solenoid is something we obviously don't want shorting out. (If any pro has a recommendation on a better lube choice please comment)
- After lubrication the solenoid stayed in the open position when unpowered and when i test powered it on the bench it closed as expected.
- Reinstalled as reverse of removal. Cleared the code. Was able to fill with fuel normally. Sofar used all weekend with no further symptoms.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Thanks for helping others by sharing this information, and nice to see someone fixi a problem by cleaning a part instead of just hanging on a new one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay, full writeup in case anyone else encounters this:

• Engine light came on something like Tuesday night when I was somewhere below 1/3 tank gas. Ignored the light as the car was still driving just fine. (Bad habit... I know.)
  • Thursday I was below 1/4 tank fuel and went to fill with gas. Could only put 2L fuel in before nozzle would click off. Looked and the fill tube was backed all the way up to the gas cap. Swore a bit and then replaced gas cap. Drove home.
  • Ran the code via my Bluetooth ODB2 dongle. Reported a P0449. Looked it up online and didn't really know what it was talking about. Cleared the code. Texted a mechanic friend about it.
  • Headed to a different mechanic friend's place cause I was expecting work to be done, and he's got tools for days. Tried filling up with gas on the way, hoping the cleared code would resolve the issue. It still backed up right away. Engine light came on again about 11 mins into the drive to my friend's
  • The friend I texted got back to me and explained what it probably was. There is a solenoid attached to a canister on the outside of the car behind the fuel tank. (Picture One)
  • Removed solenoid and filter (10mm nut and bolt, pliers for the hose clamps)
  • This solenoid has an 'open' default position (Picture 4 and 5), Then when power is applied it closes for as long as power is applied. It was stuck in the closed position even when power was not applied (Picture 2 and 3).
  • Lubed the solenoid with teflon lube (Picture 6). Had choices between teflon and graphite. Gut instinct said go with the teflon as graphite is electrically conductive and the solenoid is something we obviously don't want shorting out. (If any pro has a recommendation on a better lube choice please comment)
  • After lubrication the solenoid stayed in the open position when unpowered and when i test powered it on the bench it closed as expected.
  • Reinstalled as reverse of removal. Cleared the code. Was able to fill with fuel normally. Sofar used all weekend with no further symptoms.
You just saved me between $300 to $500 dollars that I was just quoted. Gracias!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts