Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm 6'4 and my head hits the roof. I have a couple good buddies that are car guys like me and another that owns a body shop. So this past weekend we lowered the the seat by moving the mounts lower in the back. Gave me some room but I need more. Has anyone else done anything else? Also where can I find a new rail. This once kind experimental and would like to make another one a little cleaner.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Kind of a Captain Obvious moment.. but why buy a car you don't fit into? I'm 6'1"... so this is an important point on my checklist.

If you have the black leather with red stitching, I have a buyer for them - then you can just go aftermarket and save yourself a hassle. If you're going to fab custom seat mounts, you might as well have a custom seat.

Let me know.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I know I screwed up. When I test drove the car I was leaning where the sun roof is and had the extra space. Then when driving the car home I realized the mistake and took the car back less then 16 hours after the buy and the dealer wouldn't take it back. So here I am. The seats I have are black cloth w/out red stiching

·
Registered
585 Posts
Take off the seat squab [the part you actually sit your butt on] and bring it to an automotive upholstery shop and ask them to 'shave' off some of the bottom of the cushion - this might give you yet another much needed inch of room.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Anybody over 6'2" is going to find head room is tight. They'll either have to lay the seat back or use the sunroof opening for their head...LoL! Considering that you can raise the seat considerably I think Kia "dropped the ball" on head room by NOT installing seats that allow taller people to enjoy the Koup!!!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
2.4LForteSX is right. there should be a crank right next to the lever that lets you lean back. to operate you pump downward to lower and pump upwards to go up.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Lol it seems like it just us 6'+ sized guys that drive the koup

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know how the seat works and I have used the lever to pump it all the way down. I have found a good spot after doing some mounting mods. But still need to find a new track. Kia sells them but 357.00 for the track and the bottom of the seat. Of course you can unbolt the two but Kia doesn't sell them seperate. So if anyone knows anyone that put after market seats in and is willing to sell the drivers side track let me know.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
hmmm I am 6' also. He may be right...

I found plenty of headroom even with seat pumped all the way up. I have no sunroof which leaves a bit more headroom.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Im 6'1 , the koup was tight for headroom. I bought the sx sedan, have 6" above my head. Talk kia into trading for a sedan!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tried to take it back after less then 16 hours and they wouldn't deal on the sedan or the soul. They took $1400 off the Koup but only would take 250.00 off the sedan and the soul. Basically they were pissed and they were trying to stick it to me. So I called Kia and voiced my hate for the dealership and then when Kia called for the survey I gave them all 1's. So needless to say I'm not like at the dealership. but F**K them. But at least I'm only paying 208.00 a month for a Koup lease.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I very nearly bought an EX because it had 2 to 3 more inches of headroom due to the lack of a sunroof. I just couldn't get past the 2.0 and those dark wheels. :) So, I just slouch slightly in the seat and keep on truckin.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm 6'4 so when I started looking at the Koup first thing I did was ask if the SX came without a sunroof. I would have loved to have the leather interior, but here in the US unfortunately the Leather package comes with the sunroof included for like $950. One salesman told me "Oh you can have Leather Installed here" (At the Dealership) but then quoted me $1200 for the Factory Leather Covers to be installed. So I'll be buying mine with Cloth Interior, which I've actually grown to like more than the Leather anyway. The Outer Bolsters on the SX's Sport Cloth reminds me of Ultra Suede or Alcantra. I'm also going for the SX with the 2.4 liter, so I get the tilt/telescopic steering wheel which will help as well, because I can lean back a little more to be even more comfortable and adjust the wheel to suit me. I've driven a couple of Koup's, EX and SX, with and without Sunroofs, and as long as it doesn't have the Sunroof, I seem to be able to find a perfect driving position. Now my only complaint is, they don't offer the SX in Clear White here, which is the color I REALLY Wanted, so instead I'm going to get the Bright Silver, it's the next closest choice.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
i believe the Koreans that created the car over looked the fact that they are all well...short and did not care about giants lol

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm really surprised that the Koup is that tight for anyone 6'4" or shorter. I'm 6'7" and test drove the loaded SX Koup and it was a bit tight, but my head wasn't touching the roof or anything. I went with the SX Sedan that has leather and sunroof and I have at least 2" clearance. Granted, I'm more legs and arms and a bit of a shorter torso.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It depends on how your height is distributed. A 6'3" guy with long legs and a shorter body probably won't have headroom issues. My cousin is the opposite, long body with short legs and he has a hell of a time fitting into most vehicles.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well I'm about as big as they come. I'm 6'4" 398 pounds and I have to say I don't seem to have a problem fitting in the Koup at all. I actually went to the Kia dealer the other night and sat in a Sweet little Silver SX Automatic, with Black Leather and a Sunroof, for about 45 min. I just sat there checking out the room and details of the interior. I have owned 9 Thunderbird's in my life and currently drive a 97 Thunderbird LX 4.6.

I will say the room in the Koup is about as roomy as my T-Bird now, and I know after comparing dimensions the Koup is within inches of My 84 Thunderbird that I owned in every way except Overall Length which it is 20 inches shorter, but has the same 104 inch Wheelbase, Track, Width and Height. All within an inch or 2 at most.

After leaving the Kia dealer the other night I went to the Hyundai dealer to check out the Genesis Coupe, which has larger dimensions 112 inch Wheelbase....compared to the the Koup, but surprisingly it was a lot tighter in the cockpit, Leg and Head Room were OK but the cabin is much narrower. After leaving there I decided to check out a V-6 Mustang Coupe as that was the other car on my list, it was just as tight as the Genesis and no where near as comfortable as the Koup.

The Koup is the first car i've been in in years, that I've completely fallen in love with, and it's going to be my next car for sure, If I could do it right now I'd be up at the Kia Dealer making a deal on that Silver one right now......
:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts