Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just changing the dome lights for red ones while they were on(i know really I*&*& stupid idea) and it worked an then a second later they turned off along with the speedometer and clock light. Now the speedometer lights, clock, dome lights, trunk lights, electric door locking, and keyless entry all don't work and the only light on the speedometer is the TPMS light. Does anyone know what to do I checked all fuses and they are fine!! i really fear i burned the electricals and I dont want to take it in because I have HIDs and a stereo upgrade which may cause them to void my warranty. Please help me!!
I feel like punching myself in the face for being so damn stupid.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you mean?

·
Registered
769 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes it starts and drives and the headlights tailights etc and stereo work, everything works except the speedometer lights, the clocj, domelight, trunk light, keyless entry and I cannot lock and unlock the car electrically.

·
Registered
769 Posts
all the fuses are fine? For sure? like each one checked?

·
Registered
585 Posts
you most likely blew a fuse [maybe more than one] - check the side of the dash for a panel and look for the fuse that relates with the dashboard/lights etc..

and have the car off - key out of the ignition next time you try these things.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Sorry, didnt read all of your post, you checked all fuses. Im no expert but im thinkin maybe like a control module or something of the like got fried

·
Registered
769 Posts
you most likely blew a fuse [maybe more than one] - check the side of the dash for a panel and look for the fuse that relates with the dashboard/lights etc..

and have the car off - key out the next time you try these things.
he said he checked the fuses

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

and have the car off - key out the next time you try these things.
x2 agreed

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm really worried about it, I know I was a complete moron for doing that without it off. but do you guys think it blew something major or is it just something small that can be fixed?

·
Registered
585 Posts
he said he checked the fuses
What he said and what was actually done might not be what it really is. How did he check the fuses? By what means - with a fuse tester? Or did he just pull them out and look up to the light to see if it's ok? Fuses can look good but not be good.

Again - properly check the fuses. Better yet - replace them just to be sure!!! If that does not work then on to the next step...

Then take a 12v tester [sold in autozone and ground the 12v tester to a good ground point and test and see if there is power to the overhead light. If not check where the fuse is and see if there is power there.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
769 Posts
What he said and what was actually done might not be what it really is. How did he check the fuses? By what means - with a fuse tester? Or did he just pull them out and look up to the light to see if it's ok? Fuses can look good but not be good.

Again - properly check the fuses.

Then take a 12v tester [sold in autozone and ground the 12v tester to a good ground point and test and see if there is power to the overhead light. If not check where the fuse is and see if there is power there.
Agreed, but then again, hes got a complete aftermarket stereo setup so Id hope he knows how to check fuses but hey it dont hurt to triple check it with a tester and meter

·
Registered
769 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Agreed, but then again, hes got a complete aftermarket stereo setup so Id hope he knows how to check fuses but hey it dont hurt to triple check it with a tester and meter
I checked them by pulling them out an looking if they were good they all seemed fine I took each and every fuse out and looked at them. But I wasn't aware that even if they are intact they could be bad. I will get a tester tomorrow morning first thing and test them one by one, could you explain to me how to do that properly though?

And again thank you guys so much for trying to help me out on this. I know I am a Moron and should not have been messing with the electricals in such a stupid manner.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Change the fuses please and report back!!!
Should I replace every single fuse, or just certain ones? like the one for the dome light? or do you think it could have blown more than one fuse?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Should I replace every single fuse, or just certain ones? like the one for the dome light? or do you think it could have blown more than one fuse?
Id say check them first, THEN replace the ones that come up as toast, cheaper solution IMO.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts