Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I looked and looked but i can't get a definitive answer.

Did you remove the stock airbox?

If yes, have you had an ECU problems?

and other problems since?

I'll post a picture in a little bit

I used part of the airbox mounting and i used that bracket to lock the ecu in place.
you can se it in this picture vvvv

and in this one too, i also zip tied it to 2 different spots.

and here you can see part of the zip tie, then some rubber like piece that i used to cushion it so it doesn't wiggle around and doesnt bump into anything.

and here's the final result, sorry its a night shot, but i forgot to take a morning one. It looks like i have a HUGE gap all the way to the bottom. it's not as cluttery as it looks.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I've seen people w/ intakes and their stock airbox intact, but IMO it looks tacky.

What's the big worry about the ECU? The assumption it will overheat? Who was the one to spread that rumor? Just because the ECU is mounted to the airbox doesn't mean it cools it. There aren't even vents passing air to the ECU. All speculation and people spreading fear.

·
Registered
695 Posts
noodile I had my TK CAI installed since last august and I used the provided ecu relocation bracket that came with. I haven't had any issues yet, I needed to strengthen the bracket since it moved a bit while driving. As far as tempratures go kia service department said I would have issues with hydrolock more so then ecu temp. These computers are well built and are designed to take a lot of punishment, ie. exteme temprature variation and shocks.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Exactly what sje0123 said, you'll be fine removing the factory air crap when you put in the aftermarket intake. The ECU isn't going to fry.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
i had mine out but in the summer, it gets hotter than a bunch of hot 22 yr old girls jumping up and down in their bikinis. i put it back in and painted it and did some tube re-routing and it is far from tacky looking

·
Registered
45 Posts
Exactly!! I understand that we all love our cars and spent allot on them and put allot of money into them but they are not exactly a F1 car!

What's the big worry about the ECU? The assumption it will overheat? Who was the one to spread that rumor? Just because the ECU is mounted to the airbox doesn't mean it cools it. There aren't even vents passing air to the ECU. All speculation and people spreading fear.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
i had mine out but in the summer, it gets hotter than a bunch of hot 22 yr old girls jumping up and down in their bikinis. i put it back in and painted it and did some tube re-routing and it is far from tacky looking

Hmm... Engine bay... Summer... Getting Hot... Go figure.

If there was worry of overheating why would the ECU even be in the engine bay? Please show me vents passing air to the ECU or even a heatsink mounted inside the Airbox to cool the ECU.

Just because the ECU is mounted there doesn't mean it cools it. Ever stopped to think about what's on the other side of the ECU?... The fuse box. That's why it's mounted there. Close to the fuse box. Saves money on wire.

And it is tacky IMO. Maybe you can put some ice in it to keep your beer cold? It's just an empty box taking up space. But it's your car. To each their own.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts

If there was worry of overheating why would the ECU even be in the engine bay? Please show me vents passing air to the ECU or even a heatsink mounted inside the Airbox to cool the ECU.

Just because the ECU is mounted there doesn't mean it cools it. Ever stopped to think about what's on the other side of the ECU?... The fuse box. That's why it's mounted there. Close to the fuse box. Saves money on wire.

And it is tacky IMO. Maybe you can put some ice in it to keep your beer cold? It's just an empty box taking up space. But it's your car. To each their own.
The ECU has the heatsink built onto one side of it (aluminum fins), which is the side that is sticking into the airbox. It provides a passively cooled solution (maybe a couple of degrees cooler than no airbox but still way within the rugged specs these things are built to handle. Once you are driving, the air in the engine bay is cycling more than enough to keep it cool. Maybe parked on a hot day with your engine running can get it hot but once your radiator fan kicks on it will be blowing some of that air over the fins on the ECU.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
and im not sure if you've seen an engine bay without the airbox but it looks like shit. its not my cup of tea, but maybe thats because i dont like shit in my tea. your right, to each their own but im glad my engine bay doesnt look like this anymore. all those wires and crap make it look nasty

ya what ive done to the airbox with painting may not be the most attractive thing to do, but its a hell of a lot better than a big ass empty space

Attachments

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Difference wise, I didn't time my acceleration before and after to fully determine if its real improvement or just placebo effect.

To be honest. I feel like the throttle response is a bit better. And not to mention that amazing sucking sound and engine sound at high rpms.

There's probably a performance difference.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Difference wise, I didn't time my acceleration before and after to fully determine if its real improvement or just placebo effect.

To be honest. I feel like the throttle response is a bit better. And not to mention that amazing sucking sound and engine sound at high rpms.

There's probably a performance difference.
that's basically all it's for just bolted on. matched with an exhaust system and a tune you get more benefits, it may decrease acceleration time but only in the initial take off as the air doesn't have to go through the restrictive mess... in some cases you get the initial throttle response pull but then the acceleration get worse but you can't tell because you are enjoying the great growl it makes.. when in reality (in some cases) you may have increased the 0-60 time... still, it's a building block.. you can keep bolting on parts and get it tuned for a pretty peppy N/A motor or just use it to hold you over until you have enough to turbo the car and go through the fun times that will bring lol...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts