Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read through the threads on how to install the LED strip, however, considering I've never had any experience with lighting, I feel really lost on precisely what to do step by step. So if someone doesn't mind taking their time to help, could you please thoroughly post what I'm supposed to do step by step including pictures?! This would be much appreciated because I honestly don't know where/how to start! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
this is about as easy of a diy as it gets.
here are some pics i took today for another member. drivers side headlight, you'll be "tapping" into the green and yellow wire and drivers side, you'll be tapping into the blue and pink wires. you'll see them once you pull back the electrical tape on the 12V connector in the back of your headlight.

if your lights are directional(theyre more to one side of the strip) then make sure you make it to where the lights are facing out. you dont want to have the lights facing the inside of the car.

now, with the LED strips 3m taped where ever you want it on your headlight, with the headlight out and car off and 12v connector not hooked up to the back of the headlight, take the wires from the led strip and put them in the 12V connector just to see which wire goes where. if its the 24" a5 strips from ebay then the red will connect to the bottom and black to the top for both headlights. then once you find out which wire goes where, use the wire taps provided or that youve bought and "tap" into the wire. essentially, the 2nd and 3rd pics is your final product. the first big pic is just showing how to check which wire goes where. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
lol well only other thing you can do would be to do the same process but to your low beams, but then they'll only be on when you have your headlights on :/

i like how they blink but thats just me

·
Registered
48 Posts
couldnt you just ground the wire somewhere else other than lets say the blue wire. i think the blue is neg and pink pos on the passenger side.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Which wires did you guys use? I just installed LEDs and used the bottom right two wires in the connector resulting in LEDs that do NOT blink. I was under the impression that they would blink with the turn signals. No big deal tho as I like it now that they don't blink.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Which wires did you guys use? I just installed LEDs and used the bottom right two wires in the connector resulting in LEDs that do NOT blink. I was under the impression that they would blink with the turn signals. No big deal tho as I like it now that they don't blink.
Mine come on with the parking lights and never blink. I am not sure what you are asking....

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'll be adding these soon, and I was hoping for some clarification. According to the OP, he followed Aiden's instructions and ended up with LED strips that blink with the parking lights when the turn signal is on. However, others state that theirs do not blink, and I'm assuming just come on with the parking lights. What do I need to do (differently than what Aiden's instructions state) to get the latter effect?

·
Registered
11 Posts
There something that I don't get.. So.. you don't OPEN all the light to install this, right? You just take the light "off its place" to connect the wires but the led strip is sticked ON the plastic cover with double sided tape, right?

Thanks for the info..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Correct. No need to open up the headlight housing. As to the blink/no-blink question, I would say that when checking the wires for power, you should also check with the turn signal on, to ensure you're tapping into the constant feed for the parking lights, rather than the alternating feed for the turn signals. Otherwise, the only choices would be to have the LED strip be on either with the headlights or flash with the turn signal. Can anyone confirm this? Is there separate wiring for constant parking lights and alternating turn signals?

·
Registered
3 Posts
what i did was instead of having the led lights blink tap into the pink wire on the passenger side i believe and then attach to your grounding wire... then on the other side you should have kind of a black wire with a pink stripe on it... you just attach that one like you did with the pink. i also deleted the parking lights so that when i turn on my leds thats all that shows up! but the blinker still works without making the led blink :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Do you cuts wires for this? i dont want to cut anything lol
its a brand new car lol there are anyother option ?
No, you can buy "taps" at your local auto parts store. This lets you tap into the wire with your new accessory without cutting anything. If you remove the tap, just put a little electrical tape around it, as it will have exposed the wire under the insulation.

·
Registered
84 Posts
No, you can buy "taps" at your local auto parts store. This lets you tap into the wire with your new accessory without cutting anything. If you remove the tap, just put a little electrical tape around it, as it will have exposed the wire under the insulation.
so you mean i dont have to cut anything just take wires of led strip and connect it to parking lights and tape it right?

i didt see anything under my hood yet lol
thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts