Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just installed my old H11 kit into my Forte and it was bloody easy. THERE IS NO NEED TO SPLICE ANY WIRES.

1. Remove your headlight assembly by unplugging the wire harness from the back and removing the two very visible screws on top of it. (Wedge a rag between the assembly and the fender so that the fender doesn't scratch your lens).

2. Remove the H11b bulb.

3. There is a screw connecting your H11b plug to the assembly. Remove the screw.

4. Install the H11 HID bulb.

5. There are two sets of wires coming out of your HID bulb. One has a plug that simply goes to your ballast. The other has two metal leads. These will slide in easily into your H11b connector now that it is not screwed in. It doesn't seem to matter where the positive and negative leads go. I have no idea why this is. I placed my negative lead in the slot closer to where the screw went.

6. Using electrical tape, tape this connection.

7. Some people will drill a hole in the plastic cover on the back to run this connection through. I did not want to make any permanent modification for warranty purposes, so I just taped any exposed wires and left the cover off. My last car didn't have this cover anyways and I had no problems.

8. Mount your ballasts. A strong drink may calm your nerves during this process.

9. Re-install the headlight assemblies.

There is no need to install a relay. The low beams only get power when you manually turn them on (DRL are high beams at reduced power) and they stay on even when you switch on your high beams. There should be no flickering whatsoever.

Words of advice regarding colour temperature:

1. Go for the 4300 K bulbs only. They are what the auto manufacturers use themselves as the give you the absolutely maximum usable light you can have. Certain OEM HIDs will look bluish/purplish, but only at certain angles due to their projector lenses. I can assure you that the bulb is 4300 K.

2. Anything higher will decrease your light output and will blind incoming traffic more, especially since our cars don't have projectors. The light goes everywhere!

3. This modification is illegal no matter what colour temperature you choose, but you're way less likely to get pulled over if your beam is pure white.

4. There are LED mods you can do for aesthetic purposes that are legal, so go for those instead.

5. Generally, the more you make your car stand out, the more the cops will notice you too, so keep that in mind if you've got a heavy foot like me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Great write up and spot on. I did the same thing, only I drilled the cap (wasn't that worried about it). I went with Raptor 35w HID's 6000k color. Got them through DDM Tuning for $40, for those of you on a budget (kit included everything I needed), call them though, you will need an adaptor. We discovered that when I took my whole light assembly to show them (it had them puzzled since it is so new and unique). Just tell them you want the kit for a KIA Forte, if they don't know what you are talking about, ask that they ask around, two of them will know. I didn't have to splice anything, it was all plug and play. Just follow the above instructions and you can't go wrong.

Before

Installing into Light Assembly

One HID installed, and tested

Finished Product

·
Registered
37 Posts
$40 dollars!?!?! Wow thats an amazing price for that kind of upgrade. I love the after look - thanks for the pictures and the write up guys!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I installed the 5K lights & they look great except for the height.
After installation, how do you adjust the throw (height)? The
driver side light is lower than the right & I checked the lights
to insure that they were seated properly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I installed the 5K lights & they look great except for the height.
After installation, how do you adjust the throw (height)? The
driver side light is lower than the right & I checked the lights
to insure that they were seated properly.
I had that same problem. I just used a lot of upward pressure when securing the inner screw. Careful on how tight you screw that sucker in though, I broke the ring, but the light is still secure, and even. I couldn't find any other method of adjustment :confused:

·
Registered
2021 Forte5 GT Ltd
32 Posts
I'm debating about getting HID for my Forte, but what I like to know is the HID at 5k or 6k at 35W will be brighter then the high beams? And if so, what's the point? Unless I change both to HID, one at 35W and the other 55W! And what about the fog lights, is it worth changing them too? I don't really want to have 6 ballasts up front if I don't have to. What is my best option should I go?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm debating about getting HID for my Forte, but what I like to know is the HID at 5k or 6k at 35W will be brighter then the high beams? And if so, what's the point? Unless I change both to HID, one at 35W and the other 55W! And what about the fog lights, is it worth changing them too? I don't really want to have 6 ballasts up front if I don't have to. What is my best option should I go?
To be honest, if you do the low beams then you won't really need to do the high beams. Unless you do a lot of driving down dark country roads. I'd recommend doing the fogs, and low beams (@35W).

I'm back to my stock lights because I blew another ballast then blew a fuse. My work schedule is really preventing me from getting back down there to talk to them about what could be causing it, and replacing things. I miss the HID's, they make such a difference...

·
Registered
2021 Forte5 GT Ltd
32 Posts
Thanks for the info Eric, let us know if there's something wrong with those Raptors!

I welcome anybodys input on my subject.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the info Eric, let us know if there's something wrong with those Raptors!

I welcome anybodys input on my subject.
Well I went back to DDM before catching a flight and they upgraded me to the DDM better quality ballasts, but I haven't had the chance to install em yet, and won't be able to for another week or two.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My cheap Chinese ballasts and bulbs have lasted me since last spring in my Saturn and are just fine in my Forte as well.

Regarding the height adjustment:

I did not re-adjust my lights as they were too low for halogens to begin with. There is an adjustment screw on the back of the assembly I believe. I think the manual mentions this as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
How's the light projection pattern with the HIDs? I installed some in my other car, and the pattern was just awful (2 rectangles, basically, instead of the sweeping shape off and up to the right), so that I went back to the regular lights because I could see better with that pattern. $40 is a very good deal though, assuming the ballasts are good quality...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The light projection is great and doesn't seem to bother incoming traffic. I was surprised that the reflector lenses produced a good pattern. I got my HIDs for my 2003 Saturn L200, which had projector lenses. I removed them before I traded in the car and just decided to see if they'd work well in the Forte. I don't know if I would've bothered otherwise, but I'm very happy now and no halogen bulb satisfies me when driving on country roads.

·
Registered
178 Posts
By the way!!! I FOUND A way to bypass drilling the cap!!!! There is a rubber 180 degree bend thing..I will put pics up after I get my headlight fixed....they gave me a cracked headlight :( but anyways...you can feed all of the wired through there and still have the cap on the headlight :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
By the way!!! I FOUND A way to bypass drilling the cap!!!! There is a rubber 180 degree bend thing..I will put pics up after I get my headlight fixed....they gave me a cracked headlight :( but anyways...you can feed all of the wired through there and still have the cap on the headlight :)
Please do post pics. I do not see how it would be possible to still use the dust caps without drilling a hole for the wires to pass through. If you use a grommet in the cap after drilling the 1" hole, it works great and looks stock. How much could new dust caps cost anyway?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Lol I bypassed the dust caps...there is a little about 1/2" hole in the top of the headlight...I will go and take pics 2day for ya....and will post them up in a couple of hours!!! Its really easy and looks AMAZING haha..look for the pics!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
That 1/2" hole is to allow the expansion/contraction of the air in the headlight when it's on/off. You 'can' use this hole, but you have to be VERY careful not to plug the hole completely, or modify it so that moisture can get in. If you let moisture in you'll spend far more money on replacement bulbs than a set of screw covers will run you.

·
Registered
178 Posts
This is true.. I thought about that...But mine is pretty much pulgged except for a little air hole...Ill watch it to see what happens but its good so far...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts