Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

So over the last few months ive been reading up and following what everyone else has had to say about HIDs and the "in's and out's " .... welp, it's now that time, and I think i'm going to purchase some for myself.

So the questions i'm still undecided about and want some opinions are;

What "K" have you guys found to be the best? In terms of clarity (i'm looking for the slight blueish colour, but keeping in mind I live in Ontario, Canada and want to ensure i'm not pulled over) I was thinking 6000K any thoughts?
How about the high beams, do I get the same number as the low beams/normal running bulbs?

Also, if I get the conversion kit/ Wiring harness how well do the lights work in the manufacturer light housing ?

AND Lastly, how/ what would you recommend for HID fogs? I basically want the Fogs to match the headlights.

I welcome any and all input (what brand of bulbs to buy, best place to buy them...) I'm ready to purchase but what better place to research to make sure I get the proper products.

One more note, has anyone found any issues with the electrical after installing the HID's? The reason I ask is I have noticed intermittent electrical issues that I have had investigated and I was told it was really nothing, but I just want to be sure. I'm extremely pumped as I feel these lights make these cars just "pop!"

Thanks a lot guys,
Merry Christmas to you and yours,
and a Hapy and Safe (driving) 2011!

Cheers,
KoUpKId905

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I have 6k 35W Hids that can be purchased from 401 Dixie Kia. They have a slight blue to them. I will soon be switching to 5k 55w for my lows and 5k 35w for my fog lights. The only thing I have noticed electrically is that if you start your car playing from usb and you turn on the hids your usb will drop and restart. So far thats it.

As for installing them we completed install in a driveway in less than 1hr. Super easy.if you have any more questions just ask.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man! Much appreciated.
So from what I have gathered with these is the lower "K" you go the more intense (or blue looking they get , is that correct?) (ex. the 5K would be more blue than the 6K?)
Also I noticed you didn't mentioned your High beams? what would you suggest for them?

I have 6k 35W Hids that can be purchased from 401 Dixie Kia. They have a slight blue to them. I will soon be switching to 5k 55w for my lows and 5k 35w for my fog lights. The only thing I have noticed electrically is that if you start your car playing from usb and you turn on the hids your usb will drop and restart. So far thats it.

As for installing them we completed install in a driveway in less than 1hr. Super easy.if you have any more questions just ask.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
HIGH BEAMS DO NOT HID!!!!!! You will not be able to flash on coming traffic due to bulbs need to warm up. I will be either getting some Silverstars or Piaa H1 for my high beams. Just need to research which is better yet.

Actually the higher the K value the more blue to purple you go. The lower the K Value the more white then to Yellow you go. (10k = Purple, 3k = Yellow, 4300k = OEM, 6k = light blue, etc....)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright sweet, so just leave the High beams as regular bulbs, got it! (definitely glad I asked these questions lol)
So seeing as I'm looking for the light blue look 6-7K would be the ideal for me. When you mentioned blub watts, is there a specific wattage to be looking for or do they vary depending on the intensity of the light? (sorry bear with me, all to new to this kinda stuff! haha, but may be picking up these lights tonight and I just want to know what to be looking for both in headlights and fog lights.)

Also where would you suggest buying the bulbs? And what do you think they will ring me up to do the fogs and head lights (excluding the wiring harness/conversion kit - x mas present :) )
Thanks for all the help man much appreciated! God I love this forum! haha

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Here's what i have:

35W Low Beams 5000K
35W Foggies 5000k
55W High-beams 5000K

and wiring harness on all 3.

Now for the review:

I believe 5000K is the best, it gives you the most clarity without sacrificing the look. I drove my friend's G6 who has 6000K, and they sacrificed a bit of light, didn't like them at all.

As for high-beams, i kinda regret getting the high-beams. They're kinda useless. It takes for them like a 1-2 minutes to reach complete brightness, and once they reach it they're pretty bright. The only problem is, for that 2 minutes, they're useless, and if you wanna flash someone (like to pass at a stop sign, or show them that you have ur low beams not your high beams on), then your SOL.

As for Foggies, it's totally worth getting 35W 5000K, they improve visibility at the short end dramatically. Just know that HID FOGS will produce some glare and will annoy some people. so make sure you turn them off when your behind the POPO. I've driven behind a couple of friends, and they all said that my low beams don't blind them, but my fogs annoy them.

As for the wiring harness, totally worth it. I used to have the USB problems, but ever since i installed wiring harnesses, it never happened. So i advice you get them.

If you look at the below videos, these are the color of my 5000K in the snow, start paying attention to the middle of the video so they have reached full warmth. they're a bit bluer in the begining because they hadn't warmed up yet.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I think 6k would be the best for you as the next most common is 8k (definatly blue). As for wattage, only do you fogs with an 880 or 881 35w kit. This kits does not put out alot of heat. As for me choosing 55w for my low beams. Well 55w puts out an extra 40% more light (brighter), make sure if you do a 55w kit you get a relay.

As for cost depends on where you buy them. I have seen sets as low as $65 in the GTA. Mind you these are for 35w kits. If you want the info on where to get these pm me and i'll set you up with the infomation. As for installation. You doing it or having them installed for you?

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Difference between watts is just intensity of the light

A standard 35W HID is 3 times brighter than it's equivalent stock.
A Standard 55W HID is 5 times brighter than the stock.

stock produces 900-1200 Lumens
35W produces around 3500 (start taking off lumens the higher K temp you go)
55W produces around 5500 lumens

*those figures aren't 100% accurate, give or take 100-300 lumens for the exact figures, it's been a while since i researched my HIDs

and as for the foggies, if you didn't have the harness, sometimes only one side might light up.

As for where to buy them, i got mine fromDDM, and i think they're perfect

This is a 5000K un-edited picture

Here's a picture, my fogs do look a bit bluer than my low beams, i'm guessing it's because of the smaller bulb.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you guys all for your input it is definitely helping to make sense of this decision for me and helping me kinda navigate to what I want on my Koup.

Just came accross this option and saw someones pic and thought it was a neat look... any thoughts on " Auxillary LED Fog lights" ?
I thought they looked decent not to sure how they would look with HID lights....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts