Kia Forte Forum banner

121 - 140 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
So I'm looking online at ddmtuning.com and a lot of this is confusing, but I do know I want 6000k HID low beams.

Do I need one of thoes "error code" things? What exactly is a ballast? Do I need one? Basically, what would I need to buy to install these on my forte Koup? Thanks! (sorry for sounding like a dumbass)

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
So I'm looking online at ddmtuning.com and a lot of this is confusing, but I do know I want 6000k HID low beams.

Do I need one of thoes "error code" things? What exactly is a ballast? Do I need one? Basically, what would I need to buy to install these on my forte Koup? Thanks! (sorry for sounding like a dumbass)
A ballast controls the current going to the bulb, and yes it is essential. You get one for each bulb in the kits.

Read the first two pages of posts, and you'll be ready.

·
Registered
236 Posts
What is there different about doing the hid fogs? Is it the same as headlights, drilling the hole and all? I've tried searching the forum but couldn't find much.

·
Registered
691 Posts
What is there different about doing the hid fogs? Is it the same as headlights, drilling the hole and all? I've tried searching the forum but couldn't find much.
No drilling needed, pull back on the liner around the wheel well to get to it, then just pop in the new bulb, hook it up, and you're good to go

·
Registered
87 Posts
Does anyone know if you can just take out the battery in order to change out the bulbs. I probably wont go HID but want to at least change them to hyperwhites. Also, are there any DRL on the Forte. I am wanting to use an led strip as them but dont see any on during the day.
Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thank U

Noodile... omg thank u so much for this thread! Diode Dynamics sent me an extra cable and it totally confused me. after viewing these pics and videos i "baked the cake" and now i have the best head lights in Austin, TX!

Why dont we have Thanks Button like on every other vBulletin based forum?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Just added 5k VVME HID's to the car. All went according to your write up except the black and blue wire had to be switched around. IDK why, but all I know is they work just fine now haha.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok so we put DD fogs and low beams, 35W 4300 lights in my buddys 2010 Forte Koup, we used a relay on the fogs, connecting it directly to the battery, putting the 2 little connectors on the fog light side on the driver side, ran the wires and connected the balasts on both sides etc.

everything turns on, the drivers side the fog works perfect, on the passenger side it will flicker for 10-15 seconds before turning on all the way and staying on.

any solution to this or just kinda have to deal with it?

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Ok so we put DD fogs and low beams, 35W 4300 lights in my buddys 2010 Forte Koup, we used a relay on the fogs, connecting it directly to the battery, putting the 2 little connectors on the fog light side on the driver side, ran the wires and connected the balasts on both sides etc.

everything turns on, the drivers side the fog works perfect, on the passenger side it will flicker for 10-15 seconds before turning on all the way and staying on.

any solution to this or just kinda have to deal with it?

double check the fuses on the wiring harness

and try it without a harness.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
it might be a ballast or wiring issue. Try switching the ballast first to see if the problem occurs on the other bulb. If that doesn't change anything, it may be the harness. Disconnect the connector from the ballast on the problematic side and connect it to the other ballast so that the connectors (from the relay harness) are on different ballasts. Also, check your ground and any open wires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
okey dokey will do.

he called me and said it seemed to be working fine now (he left back down to killeen) but if it still has problems we can troubleshoot it.

thanks guys! im used to working on my genesis and didnt use a harness on that one so i was stumped.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Question! I had my hid lights in for a couple of months now, and everything worked fine, but now my low beams aren't turning on? Did I blow a fuse or something? Are there any common problems that this could be?

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Question! I had my hid lights in for a couple of months now, and everything worked fine, but now my low beams aren't turning on? Did I blow a fuse or something? Are there any common problems that this could be?

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

chances are you blew a fuse. check your fuse box, and if you used a harness, replace the fuse on there. some fuses can be blown even though they appear to be fine, so replace them just in case. its only like $3 for a few fuses.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have 100 internets that says he DIDN'T buy from Diode Dynamics. Any takers?
Ddm tuning

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

·
Registered
147 Posts
chances are you blew a fuse. check your fuse box, and if you used a harness, replace the fuse on there. some fuses can be blown even though they appear to be fine, so replace them just in case. its only like $3 for a few fuses.
That's what I thought it might be, just wanted to ask first so I can check all possible problems at once

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Where did you get that rubber seal for the dust cover. I just put hids on my koup is it ok to leave the dust cover off ??
Hey Kpac,

I would not recommend leaving your dust cover off. You risk having dirt dust, or condesation getting into your headlight which will cause problems down the road. I ordered my HID's from diode dynamics and the rubber seal came on the kit with the wires already threaded through. Im sure you could find them at any hardware store, or call DD and see if they can gice you some info on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The only problem i had before was when i drove through a puddle at 60 MPH, and everything was wet, but the car survived and there were no problems. The cause of the problem was drilling a 1.5 inch hole instead of a 1-inch hole in the dust cap.

·
Registered
2010 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT Theta 2, Titanium silver metallic.
659 Posts
Want to know who still has & uses DDM's HID's in their Fortes & do they still work? Been really wanting to buy HID's for the lows.

·
Registered
2010 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT Theta 2, Titanium silver metallic.
659 Posts
I know this is a very old thread/post but I have yielded & succumbed to HID's.

I'm wanting to order from DDM. Which HID kits would I need to make them function properly without any problem? What special plugs/wires/relays?

Been reading about doing the H11B to H11 & HID's. Which would be better than the standard low output H11B's? Been having low road illumination from the stock H11B's I end up relying on the high beams alot for night driving.
Their website is plain & lacking but can't beat the prices compared to the other most expensive HID kits for 2010 thru 2013 Fortes.

121 - 140 of 143 Posts