Kia Forte Forum banner

HID install for dummies (pt 1)

7K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  anna1985beatufy 
#1 · (Edited)
ok so i've looked around the forum looking for complete details on how to install an HID kit. Haven't found anything for people like me who suck when it comes to electronics. So with help from my pops, i'd figure i'd give a complete write up with pics. All pics are in order.....

1. remove the 2 bolts on top of the housing. remove the housing. its a pain and you'll need to muscle it out, just becareful not to break anything. It took me about 10 mins just to pop out the one on the driver side. the passenger side was a little easier.

2. remove the harness. just push the tab down and it pops right out.

3. this is the dirt cover everyone is talking about. it just screws right off.

4. the old bulb!! not really plugged in, just twist it counterclockwise.

5. this is the bulb removed

this is the dismantal part. install will be part2

#2 · (Edited)
part2

this is the install part, pay attention, it gets tricky!!

6. this is the new HID bulb. as i found out the hard way, that plastic cup over it is just protective cover! lol

7. unscrew the cup, and slide the bottom part off. just snake it thru the rubber grommet and it comes off. notice the red rubber piece and plastic ring under that. remove the red rubber piece and take the plastic ring off. DO NOT TOUCH THE BULB!!!

8. the bulb with out the rubber grommit and the plastic ring.

9. put the red rubber ring back on. notice how it goes on. there should be a groove on the socket. it should fit right in there. its important that it goes in that groove or it wont fit right in the housing.

10. dust cover... i dont have the exact drill bit size handy, but i believe it was a little smaller than an inch. the black rubber grommit that wires go thru fit in here.if fits in the groove so its water tight.

11. this is the annoying part. install the light like you would any other light. just match up the slots, and give it a twist. if you're having trouble matching the slots, turn the housing around, and look thru the lense!!! now for the red and black wires. you should have 2 wires with metal connectors. these connect into the slots where the old light slide out of. on mine, the black one goes in the slot closest to the lense. i used needle nose pliers to get it in. the red wire goes in the slot closest to you.

12. thats pretty much it! slide the dust cover over the wires and screw it in. now find a spot in the engine compartment to mount the ballists. i found a screw hole right on part of the frame right under the housing that fit perfectly. plug the ballsits in, put back the headlight housings, plug em in, and screw the housing back in, and thats it! its not to hard, if you have no clue what youre doing i hope this helps! any questions feel free to ask!

#4 ·
sweetness! thanks for this! I have my HIDs on order and was lookin around for install instructions! Do you have to drill that hole in the dust cover?

#5 ·
yea unfortunatly.... i mean you can do the no drilling install, but i really dont like cutting wires and soldering them back together. you could melt the hole by heating up a knife and cutting thru it like butter but it would smell and be a little messy. i didnt use the relay either, after talking to a bunch of friends, you really dont need it.

#15 ·
well im glad i went with 6000k lol, ive seen some 5000k and its like O.O at how bright they are

#23 ·
The frame is right under the headlight housing, with the DD kit the give you a bracket for the ballist. I found a screw hole sitting right there. On the passenger side, there was a screw holding a wire, unscrewed it, but the bracket there, screwed it back in. On the driver side, the hole was empty, just put the bracket it, and screwed it down. Pretty easy!

#25 ·
i had 6k on my 07 civic si, 8k on my 2003 mazdaspeed preotege and protege5, and now i have 5k on my kia. as far as brightness, 5k is the brightest. its a PURE WHITE, no blue nor yellow.
6k had a tint of blue, bright, but not as bright as the 5k.
8k was too blue for me.

as far as kelvin ratings no matter what k you get, 5, 6, 8, or even 10k, they ALL have the same light output. you just dont see blue light on the road as you would see white light.

maybe something for you guys to use.

#26 ·
Would it be possible to get some pics of the ballasts mounted in the car. I love the write up, I would just like to see the mounted ballasts. I have not been able to find any pics of them in there mounted locations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.