Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a Forte specific add-on to DDM's install guides found here... DDM HID Install PDFs
The stock bulb is an H11B, the HID kit is an H11. The fit to the housing is identical, the wire connections are different. The H11B is called a "snap-n-lite" bulb. When you twist the bulb into the housing, the connections "snap" into the wiring making the connection. The H11 HID kit has wires that plug into the factory "snap" connector...if that makes sense.
Here's the H11B bulb.

Here's the H11 HID bulb (with protective plastic housing around bulb).

Here's the HID bulb without protective housing.

Here's what I ordered.
DDMHPH11-5000K DDM HID Kit Slim Ballast (35W or 55W)
Options: Wattage : 55 Watt (+$10.00) Bulb Type : H11 Bulb Color : 5000K $59.95
370-HID-8133-5486523658-HID Kit Wiring Harness $15.00
Subtotal Amount : $74.95
Discount : $0.00
Shipping (UPS - Ground) : $14.44
Tax Amount : $0.00
Total Amount : $89.39
If you use the install instructions posted in the DDM link above, the only differences are as follows...
Remove the headlight using 10mm wrench or socket to remove the two bolts on top of the light. Gently pull the light out of its guide slots...be careful to not scratch your paint while pulling the light out. It's a tight fit!
You have to drill a 1" hole in the center of the dust cover to allow the wires to pass through.
Hole saw

Hole drilled in dust cover

Remove the screw securing the factory wiring connector connector inside light housing.

Slip blue and black wire connections into the factory connector, blue wire went on the bottom and the black wire went on the top. This will make sense after have the light apart. (not shown, but I used heat shrink tubing to secure the wire in the connector)
[hr]
Mount the bulb in the housing, pass wires through dust cover and secure dust cover.

Connect wires to ballasts

Install the wiring harness per instructions...if you go this route. Test everything before putting it all back together. Don't forget to plug factory connector back in on the back of the light housing and to turn your key to the run postion...otherwise your lights will not get power.
Finished install with wiring harness hidden.

Overall look

I had to lower the passenger side adjustment to get the beam patterns level. Overall, easy install. Hiding the wiring took the longest, but that's because I'm anal about stuff like that. The lights come on with no flickering and are fully warm (full brightness) in just a few seconds.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
alright, is it easy to do? cuz i have had my kit for 2 weeks and my mechanic wants to do it for 100 dollars. i know not too much about cars and i was thinking about doing it myself with the help of pics and the instructions i got with the kit. it came with the kit and relays. just curious if its something i can do, and how long it took to do it. if its cool, pm me :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a very easy install. Not sure who you got your kit from, but use the DDM help files in the link above and my pics, and you shouldn't have any issues. It took about 2 hours for the total install. Most of that time was spent on going slow to take pics and hiding wiring.

I would not spend $100 to have these installed!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DOH!!

Another HID bulb in a Halogen projector. Shield your eyes everyone!!!

You have any pics of your cutoff?
This is a how-to thread...so lets keep the debates elsewhere please.

To answer your question and comments though, no, but I can get some. The beam pattern is pretty nice and I have yet to be flashed by an on-coming car that thinks my brights are on. I've had them installed since early January. Adjust them properly and you shouldn't have any issues.

When a decent set of projector housings come available, I plan to go that route.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Everyone please keep in mind that swapping HID bulbs into halogen projectors is illegal most everywhere these days...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Everyone please keep in mind that swapping HID bulbs into halogen projectors is illegal most everywhere these days...
How many times are you gonna say this....We don't care, alot of things are illegal but people still do it.. I don't think any cops are gonna enforce this unless you have a aiming problem....so leave it at that!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
^Only the one time. You have pics of your cutoff yet?

I emphasize my point, because I personally cannot stand seeing people driving around like this, it is blinding, and in many cases dangerous. Yes, police will stop you for it. Especially if you do the extra stupid thing of buying bulbs >5000K.

Also, many people dont realize that this is illegal as you can legally buy the kits almost anywhere. If it saves even one person getting ticketed, it is worth it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
but we're tired of hearing it. Most of us know this. there are alot of things that we do to our cars are illegal. 99% of the cai's are illegal on the street. but that doesn't stop everyone from doing it. Don't keep telling us, we don't need to here it over and over.

·
Registered
178 Posts
but we're tired of hearing it. Most of us know this. there are alot of things that we do to our cars are illegal. 99% of the cai's are illegal on the street. but that doesn't stop everyone from doing it. Don't keep telling us, we don't need to here it over and over.
Thanks Polishmadman.....

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I haven't gotten any pics yet...been busy with work. I'll get them when I can. Honestly, my stock fog lights put off more glare than the HIDs do.

If this mod isn't for you, that's cool. Either way, I still stand by my original statement that this is a how-to thread for people that actually want the info. I didn't post it to have a debate.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Look xxJDxx, if anyone wants to put in HIDs and drive around with them its the driver of the car's option. And I completely agree with 2.4LForteSX, because its really not very kind to come onto the site only to argue and make fun of us kia drivers. We ALL (that own fortes) are very proud and happy to have our cars, and TO EACH THEIR OWN. The Forte is a wonderful and powerful car, we all CHOSE them because they are fun to drive and beautiful. (And trust me we all know a lot about cars) Plus, I wouldn't make fun of you and gripe and complain at you if you wanted to drive a F650 every day to work. And Kia is a good company, just not a lot of ppl buy their cars, but I see more and more everyday.

Therefore, please, if all you wanted to do is gripe and complain about how insignificant Kia's are, go and join another site. Maybe a honda site is a good one for you.

PS. And I don't see Toyota or Honda offering 5 yr bumper to bumper warranty standard on most (if not all) models.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In hopes to put this argument to bed...check your own local laws and abide by them if you so choose.

This mod is not illegal in my state according to www.in.gov .

People can find the link to their local laws here... Unlawful Vehicle Modifications - Learn About the Law

So the blanket statement that it's "illegal in most states" could be true, but let the people reading this thread make their own decisions, based on their own local laws.

Not sure where you live xxJDxx, but it sounds like your local laws are pretty strict, considering that you made a comment in another thread about front window tint ... http://www.forteforums.com/forums/f...ssion/43-just-picked-up-my-koup.html#post1237

·
Registered
178 Posts
Not illegal in florida either!!! Man thank you Kenny C for putting a closer to this argument....
Not trying to start anything but laws aren't the same everywhere and you really should look into things when you start throwing laws around.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is a federal law, and wont be found on a state government site

I believe that, in the US, NHTSA prohibits "HID conversion kits" Understand there is a $10,000 fine per kit sold. There is no way to control the light output or direction when you drop a HID into a halogen headlight. My own car has factory HID's and it has an auto levelling system and headlight washing system. It does NOT blind oncoming vehicles.

Update: May 3, 2007:
NHTSA Cracks Down on Aftermarket HID Conversion Kits

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is targeting high-intensity discharge (HID) conversion kits for enforcement actions. NHTSA has concluded that it is impossible to produce HID conversion kits (converting a halogen system to HID) that would be compliant with the federal lighting standard, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 108. The noncompliant kits frequently include a HID bulb, a ballast, an igniter, a relay and wiring harness adapters. The NHTSA believes this equipment presents a safety risk to the public since the kits can be expected to produce excessive glare to oncoming motorists. In one investigation, the NHTSA found that an HID conversion headlamp exceeded the maximum allowable candlepower by over 800%.

Under FMVSS No. 108 Section S7.7 (replaceable light sources), each replaceable light source for headlamps must be designed to conform to the dimensions and electrical specifications for the headlamp source it is intended to replace. For example, if an HID kit is marketed as replacing an H1 light source, then it must match the H1's wire coil filament size and location, the electrical connector size and location and the ballast design for use with an H1 light source (which is impossible since there is no ballast). Consequently, companies that are manufacturing HID light sources (e.g., D1S, D1R, D2S, D2R, 9500, etc�) with incandescent light source bases (e.g., H1, H3, H7, H8, H9, H11, H13, HB1, HB2, HB3, HB4, HB5, etc�) should be aware that this light source design would not be one that conforms to FMVSS No. 108, and could not be imported and sold in the United States without violating Federal law. (The importer is treated as the manufacturer and subject to the same fines and penalties that apply to a domestic manufacturer.)

NHTSA has also determined that a commonly used disclaimer "for off-road use only" has no legal meaning and is not recognized by the agency as the manufacturer, importer and retailer are not in a position to control use once a product has been sold. Any equipment offered for sale which is covered by FMVSS No. 108 (headlamps, taillamps, side markers, etc.) must comply with the standard.
This is frustrating to me as all I have really asked for was a picture of your cutoff and to make sure that you INFORM other members that these kits ARE ILLEGAL before they read your writeup and go out and swap HID bulbs in. All I have gotten back is petty arguing for an incorrect point.

Hopefully we can get a picture of someones cutoff pattern, and a 'keep in mind this is illegal' disclaimer and put this thread to rest...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am putting in HIDs just to annoy people now... and aiming them up and left... That's hilarious. I'm tired of soccer moms blinding me with their Expeditions headlights which are at eye level of anyone driving a car. Actually, now I think I'm going to put HIDs in my brake lights too.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Play nice guys. Putting after market HID into a car will be a debate forever and no one will win. It simply comes down to personal taste and what a person wants to do with their own car and their own money - whether its legal or not, it is a personal decision.

Have fun with your Forte, no reason to start fights/arguments about it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Play nice guys. Putting after market HID into a car will be a debate forever and no one will win. It simply comes down to personal taste and what a person wants to do with their own car and their own money - whether its legal or not, it is a personal decision.

Have fun with your Forte, no reason to start fights/arguments about it.
That was exactly my point when I mentioned this being a how-to thread...not a debate thread.

Would you mind cleaning this thread up? Thanks! :cool:

1 - 20 of 85 Posts