Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys .. have some clarification as of my next mods being HID installed on their fog lamps .
My major concern is 3 of the following:

- Throw of the Fog lamp ?
- Will our fog lamp compartment be too hot to handle the HID lamps ?
- Does more 'K' = MORE THROW or just COLOR of the light ?

Those who have installed or have knowledge on this .. care to share your view ?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Wattage will determine lumens which is the amount of light the bulbs put out. K=kelvin is the temprature of the color, not heat but lighter or darker (more blue>more yellow).

I have 35w 6,000k ddm hids in both my lows and fogs. They heat up but after many weeks of driving with them i checked the housing and found no heat warp.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The 'throw' of the fogs is very wide, but very short. Basically going to HID fogs is a cosmetic enhancement, and not a very functional one. It's not like they are 100W spot lights and you'll be looking three miles down the road. Although... if the function you're after is a ridiculous amount of light in a 180 degree spread in front of your car for the first 20 feet, then this is the mod for you!

With HID lows, I notice almost no change in the actual road way when turning my HID fogs on. When running with halogen lows, there is a noticeable difference with the HID fogs.

·
Registered
288 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
The lows have a cover/reflector over the bulb to project the light back and then out. The cover blocks the visibility of the bulb itself. The fogs dont have that cover. If you look at the pic i posted up there you will see that my fogs look alot brighter. They are both 35w DDM 6,000k kits. If you remember you were the one who gave me the info when i was looking to do it. The fogs look ALOT brighter because you can see the bulb directly. Everyone mentions how bright my fogs are. Its like looking into the eyes of god......and im an atheist.

Ive been considering swapping out the ballasts on my lows for 55w to even up the contrast/difference between the lows and fogs. or....maybe reflective covers for the fog bulbs? (i dont know what that would involve)

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
The lows have a cover/reflector over the bulb to project the light back and then out. The cover blocks the visibility of the bulb itself. The fogs dont have that cover. If you look at the pic i posted up there you will see that my fogs look alot brighter. They are both 35w DDM 6,000k kits. If you remember you were the one who gave me the info when i was looking to do it. The fogs look ALOT brighter because you can see the bulb directly. Everyone mentions how bright my fogs are. Its like looking into the eyes of god......and im an atheist.

Ive been considering swapping out the ballasts on my lows for 55w to even up the contrast/difference between the lows and fogs. or....maybe reflective covers for the fog bulbs? (i dont know what that would involve)
Gotcha... Never thought about that part. Yes they do look brighter and not sure of a solution to that. I wonder if some light coats of tint spray would help "tone" it down a bit. Not talking about blacking them out but a few light coats. I'll have to play once i get mine.

How was your install with your fogs? And are you running a separate harness?

*** additional thought... My parking light are 6000k switchbacks so I wonder if that will help mine appear a tad more equal. Yours are next to amber parking lights... Where mine are 6000k all across the front.

·
Registered
288 Posts
yeah, i want those switchbacks. Where do i get the replacement indicator relays? its the only thing keeping me from ordering them. I dont know about those.

After doing the lows, i knew i could get in there and do the fogs in no time. I have a harness on my lows but i don't have one on the fogs. I went and pulled everything off for the install and found the power connection from the kit to the stock connector didn't fit. I screwed my bumper back on and went to DDM in huntington beach the next day. They couldn't tell me why it didn't fit, but they showed me that all i have to do is take the two wires that hang off the bulbs by themselves and plug them right into the stock connection for power. I seem to be the only one who has had this issue, but if you find the same problem that's how you do it.

Once i knew what i needed to do it was still a pain in the ass to reach down to the fogs. The driver side you can do without unscrewing your grill and bumper. Just reach down below the headlight housing. The pass side kind of sucks. I did it by unscrewing the grill and pulling that side of the bumper back. Then just take the screw out connecting the undercarriage and the bumper/wheel well and reach in and get it done. If you have big hands you may need to pull the bumper off/back to get in there. Kind of a pain in the ass, and if you need to use the harness for some reason, good luck. It isn't easy to get back in there for running cables and mounting them with the bumper on.

The bulbs themselves are easier to install because there is no dust cover that you will need to put a hole in, and its just one quick connection (unless you have my problem). Just unscrew bulb, bypass connection with the ballast, screw in HID bulb.

Good luck with the install. I love mine. And you were right, 6,000k is perfect.

·
Registered
288 Posts
*** additional thought... My parking light are 6000k switchbacks so I wonder if that will help mine appear a tad more equal. Yours are next to amber parking lights... Where mine are 6000k all across the front.

Will you post a pic of that. I kind of would like to see the difference with the white switchbacks.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
I was using his video also. But he makes it look alot easier to undo the side clips. If you are doing the harness then yeah, but i dont care to pull my bumper off again for this.

** which is why i didnt use the other harness i have.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Damn.....your car is fading that poll haha. So the amber thats coming off your light now is from the reflector in the housing? it still seems bright.

You need some rims dude. We have the same car. Ive never done rims before this but they changed the entire look and style of my car.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Yeah without the turns on the only amber is because of the side reflectors. Then of course with the turns on the LEDs switch to amber.

And the ones I ordered from v-led.com are 6000k and It's a great match to the hids.

I thought about changing the rims and then I realized I truly like the look of the stock SX rims. Just need new caps to remove the logo.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SO .. in another words , to get it's throw further it's either i install HID on my Low beam otherwise , get an increase in W when it comes to Fog light am i right . Wonder what's the highest W our car can ascertain ?
I was thinking , if the Fog Bulb level can be adjusted , by tilting slightly higher would it help ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts