Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey every body, I'm going to buy a set of fogs on ebay for my Forte LX and I decided to put HID on it.

My question is : If I buy the hid kit on DDM tuning and the hid Harness, Am I going to have everything I need to make them work.

Also, what is the size of the bulb for our fogs ?

AND my last question, do you think 55w 3000k will they generate too much heat for the fogs? ? Thanks a lot for your answer !!

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
You will need a switch to turn them on and off and 55w might benton much for the fog enclosure. I believe I read someone had a lens melt with 55w.

When I do my fogs, I'm going 35w 6000k to match the rest of my lights OR 3000k .... Haven't decided and that's why I haven't ordered yet... Decisions

·
Registered
348 Posts
55W is WAY too much for the fog housing! You may melt the housing, blow the bulb, or worse. 35W is simply amazing in the fogs, 55W is simply trouble.

The fog lights are 881, so order a 880 kit (only difference is the bulb is straight on a 880, 90 degrees bent on a 881.) The 'trick' is getting the bulb in the passenger's side... the washer fluid bottle leaves VERY little room to reach in there and it's kinda tricky. Do-able... but tricky.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for you reply !

Kiatech, If I buy a hid harness kit (ddm tuning) and a switch, is it going to be enough to make them work ? Or I need more things ? Thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
fuck....I ordered a 55w hid!!! lol

if I order 35w bulb 880 can it will fit in the fog assembly and can it will fit on my 55w ballast?

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
thanks for you reply !

Kiatech, If I buy a hid harness kit (ddm tuning) and a switch, is it going to be enough to make them work ? Or I need more things ? Thanks
It should be. You will probably want to get an inline fuse but other than that it should be like hooking up any other light. Hids to harness to switch to battery.

·
Registered
288 Posts
DDM told me that the only difference from 35w to 55w is the ballast itself. They said the bulb is the same you just need the other ballast but they wont sell the ballet by themselves because its not profitable for them. You should be able to return and swap though.

I put 35w 6,000k DDM hids in my fogs and they look great. You really don't need to do brighter. The forte lows have that projector cover over the bulb, the fogs do not. So when you put the HIDs in the fogs its like staring in the eyes of god. I'm considering a switch for 55w on my lows to match the brightness of the 35w in my fogs. That bare bulb, even at 35w, is bright!

The kit is all you need. I didn't even use the harness for my fogs and they work fine. DDM said i wouldn't need the harness at all, but my lows wouldn't turn on without it.

FYI - The 880 connections did not fit my fog connections. I drove to DDM in HB and they said thats just how it is. I had to take to two little cables hanging on the replacement bulbs and plug them directly into the factory fog harness. Luckily they fit pretty snug that way without having to modify or do anything.

·
Registered
430 Posts
The kit is all you need. I didn't even use the harness for my fogs and they work fine. DDM said i wouldn't need the harness at all, but my lows wouldn't turn on without it.
That's strange cuz I installed 6k 35watt on my lows without the harness. Got'em from DDM also. They work great

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm not sure; When i hooked them up and they wouldn't turn on, the first troubleshooting step i took was to add the harness and it corrected the issue. Its possible that one of the connections wasn't secure, but both not lighting up?

May have something to do with variables in my car, idk. I mean I have a fully loaded SX sedan (sun roof, heated seats, homelink). More than likely its that I'm running an 800rsm app to x2 twelves and it currently doesn't have a cap.

Also, my fog connections didn't fit the kit but someone else said i must have done something wrong because theirs went on perfect. but I know mine didn't work. I stared at it like a retard for 15 minutes with my bumper off trying every possible way to make it connect. who knows.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Also when I talked to the Guy at DDM, he said that 55 watts are for your normal headlights, not fogs. if you want them for your fogs then go with 35 watts. Also He said if you were going with 6k, then the 55w would wash out some off the color. 6k with 35w and im super happy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts