Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a Diode Dynamics HID kit for my headlights (lo beams) as well as my fogs, along with switchbacks yesterday.

my problem is- my passenger side fog light does not 'ignite' and stay lit until the third time i turn them on. it lights, and goes out after about 2-3 seconds, then after the third time of lighting the fogs it stays on. whats my problem?

-the light works on other ballasts just fine
-the ballast works on other lights just fine
-i have relay harnesses for both headlights and fogs
-i followed the instructions as far as installation

they look great when all working..but i hate to have to turn my fogs on THREE times before the passenger side fog will stay lit every time....

it seems just in that position (passenger side fog light location) the bulb doesnt want to light on the first try. (sometimes it does light on the first time, but very rarely)

help? thx

·
Registered
486 Posts
did you get the harness? It has been said several times on here that without the harness they dont light up always. I am pretty sure it says it on DD's website before you order too. I would look into that:D

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did you get the harness? It has been said several times on here that without the harness they dont light up always. I am pretty sure it says it on DD's website before you order too. I would look into that:D
-i have relay harnesses for both headlights and fogs
yes, i have a harness for my headlights and a harness for my fogs....:D

·
Registered
486 Posts
yup thats a first then. the more I read about these the less I want to do them when Mine come in:mad:

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Try covering the connectors in electrical tape... I had problems with my headlights too.. but when I covered them in electrical tape, my problem has yet to come back... But we'll have to see

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Double check all the harness connections, make sure their tight on the battery.

, also try to switch the ballast with the other one and the bulbs.

if all fails, then claim a warranty

PS: make sure the Ground is GOOD if its only one side that does it. (i had to wire tap my highbeams for a good ground, i don't recommend doing it, but its a last resort

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Try covering the connectors in electrical tape... I had problems with my headlights too.. but when I covered them in electrical tape, my problem has yet to come back... But we'll have to see
electrical tape? as in to make the connectors tighter? i dont understand completely what covering the connectors with electrical tape will do..please explain further, unless it is just to push the connectors together a little more to make a tighter connection.

Sounds like the bulb is bad....I'd call DD and ask them
i thought it was the bulb. but if i plug the bulb into another ballast/harness it works fine.

Double check all the harness connections, make sure their tight on the battery.

, also try to switch the ballast with the other one and the bulbs.

if all fails, then claim a warranty

PS: make sure the Ground is GOOD if its only one side that does it. (i had to wire tap my highbeams for a good ground, i don't recommend doing it, but its a last resort
all harness connections are good, and the battery connection is good.

i tried switching the ballast with other ones and same problem. but i also tried switching bulbs, same problem. i also tried trading harnesses...same problem showed up.

i'll check the ground. i think its alright, but maybe thats the problem. thx.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
How about flipping harnesses. (if the harness fuse blew, then its basically worthless).

so try to use the low beam harness for foggies

·
Registered
161 Posts
How about flipping harnesses. (if the harness fuse blew, then its basically worthless).

so try to use the low beam harness for foggies
At first DD sent me a bad harness fuse. It would turn on but not off. They sent me another one free of charge. Talk to them about that

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Since i can't really explain myself the right way here's what happened to me. and how it was fixed.

I installed fogs without harness
Passenger side wouldn't turn on from the first time, it would take 2 or 3 times to ignite.
I installed the harness.

it worked perfectly.

So the only problem i see in your situation is that the harness is bad. It might be that its only providing power to one side, or it might be that its not working at all and that the hids are depending on the factory power which WILL cause one bulb to not ignite.

One thing you can try to check if it works, your harness has an input from your bulb/headlight, and an output to your Ballast. connect the input, and turn on your headlights, and then insert Multimeter probes into the output cable to see if its indeed giving the power it should be giving to the ballast. (do that on each side, i think for you to try it on the passenger side your gonna have to hook up the driver side ballast because it completes the circuit, i think)

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
alright,

first off- thanks for all the help/input to try and figure this out.
the first thing i did was check the ground- good
then i tried switching the bulbs around- same result.

then Paul from DD emailed me back (i emailed him the scenario after posting this) and he said to switch the fog ballasts around, so i did.

problem seems to be solved...i've run my lights multiple times today and the fogs turn on the first time.

thanks again yall

1 - 12 of 12 Posts