Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I installed the DDM 35W HID kit with the relay harness. Does anyone else have the problem of one side not igniting when the lights are turned on after the car is started? My lights fire up together when the car isn't running but the one side doesn't when i turn the on immediately after starting. It will turn on if I turn my lights on and off once. Any ideas?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Try switching the ballast from side to side to see if that is the culprit. Are the grounds good? If not that can be an issue. Also, is there a battery harness needed for your kit? If yes, you might need it. DDM kits can be finicky to get working right. I personally don't think they are worth the troubleshooting headaches they cause.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'll try the ballast tomorrow. I already have the harness installed and I tried moving the grounding point too.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I have to DDM kit with harness and have had no such issues. As above, switch the ballast and see if thats the issue and then contact DDM since they have a lifetime warranty I believe.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I had the same issue with a 55W kit. One side would ignite, but not stay on only on morning starts. Swapped sides, problem moved with it so I sent in a trouble ticket asking for any other suggestions since mine was a "cold weather intermittent thing". They had a few other troubleshooting steps and since that didn't work I submitted for a RMA. DDM was really quick at getting the RMA processed and I just need to get up the motivation to go to the post office one of these days and ship it back.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I installed the same 35w kit with 6k bulbs, but with no harness and they run great.
I second that.. but with 4500k... although when I have a USB plugged in and I turn on the lights, the song resets (intermittent)..

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
I second that.. but with 4500k... although when I have a USB plugged in and I turn on the lights, the song resets (intermittent)..
Sounds like your ballasts are drawing a huge amount of surge current at startup. I'd watch out for damage in the long run. You might want to get a harness.

DDM Ballasts aren't exactly the highest quality (pretty crappy actually) but they work and they're cheap. Which is why I went with a harness, that way worst case is I blow, the battery, harness or ballasts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I tore it all out and rewired it all last night. To my surprise the igniting problem disappeared. They both light first try now. But this problem has been present for a few days too. I have a harness but it still resets my USB. Doesn't matter if the car is running or not, as soon as I turn the headlights on the radio resets my USB, and if I'm on FM it changes to USB and resets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts