Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be getting some HID's for my low beams and fog lights soon but I haven't decided if I should do 55W 8000K for the lows with 35W 6000K for the fogs or If I should do 35W 6000K for the lows and 35W 3000K (Yellow) for the Fogs.....the main thing in question is whether to go with yellow fogs or not...opinions? and sorry for another HID thread :(

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
All I can say is about 55w for low and 35w for fogs...this is so bright when you put your high beams on you actually get less light from the front of your car. I also get flashed just about every single day til i flash them back. My bulbs are both 5k.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I have 35w 6000k HID kits from DDM as my lows and fogs. i never get flashed with my lows on but i sure as hell do with my fogs! lol 3 people in a row is my record.

Anyways, i have pics in my garage of my HIDs if you wanna see what it looks like.

PERSONALLY, i dont like the yellow fog idea. just not my tube of Pringles.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was considering the yellow mainly because I dont my fogs brighter than my lows so I thought maybe with yellow it would look ok idk tho I think I might just pass on the yellow tho

·
Registered
733 Posts
Dude if you want to see at night do 35w 6k in lows and fogs i just installed mine and its like driving in day light but the fogs do make a difference if my computer worked i would upload pics lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
So in most of the HID threads I see that most people that have HID's go with 6000k over 5000k. Why is that? I thought about the 5000k as it's more of a white light vs a tint of blue with the 6000k but are the 6000k just as white? I just don't want any hassle from the cops.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
The 6k are tinted slighty blue as stated and the 5k are pure white. One reason maybe not everyone stocks the 5k bulb but rather the 4300k and the 6k. I went with 5k for the pure white and the fact that the lightout put and projection distance is greater than 6k. The higher the value the less projection and output.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
IMO, i think Koup Looks best with Low 35W 5000K, and foggies 35w 5000K. I have that setup and it looks incredible, i get compliments on it all the time. 55W for low beams is an overkill in my opinion. also, keep into consideration that Fog HIDs blind the F*** out of other drivers. I am sorry but i am aganist yellow fogs. (PS, i am not the biggest fan of 8000K but they look good when they color match audi leds)

and i don't know if everyone agrees, but my fogs are slightly bluer than my low beams, i think its the bulb type. I tried different bulbs, they're still bluer (probably by 500K)

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
i dont really want yellow fogs on my car, but to each their own. i dont think it looks BAD, i just dont want to have the color difference on my car. i think it looks better with the 'matching' color.

So in most of the HID threads I see that most people that have HID's go with 6000k over 5000k. Why is that? I thought about the 5000k as it's more of a white light vs a tint of blue with the 6000k but are the 6000k just as white? I just don't want any hassle from the cops.
sooo.. i just ordered 35W 6000K Lows and 35W 6000K Fogs for my car from Diode Dynamics... one reason i went with the 6000K instead of the 5000K is bc DD doesnt carry 5000K. theres not much of a difference in blue tint from 5000K to 6000K as i've seen, but if you put them right next to each other you can see the slight difference.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just got the 35w 5000k raptor kit without the harness from DDM & installed them but only the driver's side lights up. The passenger side works with the original H11b but not the HID. Any reason why? Could the ballast or bulb be bad?

·
Registered
48 Posts
its stated HERE (post #4), you need the harness. this way you will get both sides to light up every time.
Ok so I tested the both ballasts on the driver side bulb & they both work. So then I tested both ballasts on the passenger side and it doesn't work. Keep in mind I'm only lighting one headlight at a time so it would appear the passenger bulb is bad. Wouldn't you agree?

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
its stated HERE (post #4), you need the harness. this way you will get both sides to light up every time.

If you're going with 55W, definetly get the harness

if you're going with ANY hid as Fog lights, its advised that you get it, mine misfired most of the time and i wouldn't even notice it untill i saw the reflection in trucks and suvs. The way i see it, $12.50 for peace of mind is a great deal.

·
Registered
48 Posts
What does the harness look like & is it just plug & play? DDM told me I didn't need a harness if going with 35w which is why I didn't get it. I don't think my particular issue is due to not having a harness since the passenger light wouldn't work with either ballast by itself so power shouldn't be the issue.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Passenger side Lows or Fogs? My Passenger side fog was the one that usually went out before i hooked up the Harness, so i'd get a harness for that.

If its the low beam, then check that you didn't blow a fuse. (each bulb on each side has a fuse i think, and make ure you hooked up the headlight connector, you'd be impressed with how many people forget this amid the excitement of Hids

·
Registered
48 Posts
Passenger side Lows or Fogs? My Passenger side fog was the one that usually went out before i hooked up the Harness, so i'd get a harness for that.

If its the low beam, then check that you didn't blow a fuse. (each bulb on each side has a fuse i think, and make ure you hooked up the headlight connector, you'd be impressed with how many people forget this amid the excitement of Hids
It's the passenger lows and like I said, the original bulb works on the passenger side so I don't think it's a fuse otherwise it wouldn't work either right? And I know I'm putting the connector on because the original H11b bulb works.

If it was working intermittently then I could understand the necessity for the harness but not if it doesn't work at all & I've verified that the ballasts do work on the know good HID bulb on the driver's side.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.