Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a few people on here have their Ipods hidden, but always connected. I was messing around in my car today and was trying to find a good spot for mine, but nothing seems readily available for a good hiding spot (except the glove box). Just curious what setups some of you have so I can get some ideas.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
not sure if you saw my posts in other threads... but....

here is what i did... i bought one of these (2 actually but only needed 1).

DealExtreme: $5.82 Dock Extender Data/Charging Cable for All iPod/iPhone 2G/3G/3GS - Black (80CM)

I used the ipod kia connector cable and hooked it into this (the above extender cable), and then into the ipod. I used electrical tape to keep the two connections tight. I then ran the kia ipod cable into the center console directly above the plug area and ran it down the driver side. There is a very small opening which. I then ran it up and under the side of the center console and to the very back side of it. I then pushed it up through the compartment areas. I bought a black skid free mat for the ipod ($5 at best buy) and placed that over the hole. put the ipod on top of the skid free mat and the put the original piece of material back down.

now, if you open my center console compartments you don't see an ipod. you see the bottom as you normally would.. ipod is hide underneath it. Full iPod access, easy to remove when I want to update the songs, and best of all. it's always out of site.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! Much more hidden than I was even thinking of, but I like it. Did this require any drilling of holes? Or just simply squeezing the cable through certain areas? Any chance you have a pic of where the cable connects to the car? I'm curious what it looks like running down into the console...

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Here you go..... let me know if you have any questions..

here is the kia ipod cable

run the cable in and down this seam and then along the bottom, i just stuck it up there with my fingers ( i took out this screw to make it a tad easier)

Run it along the bottom to the very back side of the center post

Now you will need to open your center console and remove your bottom felt cover or whatever you want to call it and you should see the E brake mechanisms.

Remove that bottom (Above) and you should see this..

If you take your hand and put it down there, you will notice that there is an opening in the bottom side of the center console and you can easily slide the ipod connector up into the center console.

You will want something so that the ipod doesn't fall into the hole and get crushed by the e brake..

I thought of just leaving mine on top of the stock felt thing.. but figured if someone broke in, they are going to look in there and see it and steal it..

So i went to best buy, bought a slip proof mat for $5 and put it on the bottom like this

then i placed the ipod on top of that and then the stock felt thing back on top and this is what it looks like

HIDDEN IPOD!!!

Hope this helps... took about 15 minutes and cost $10. $5 for the cable extender and $5 for the slip proof mat. No Drilling! Took out 1 screw only.

feel free to ask questions... also posting this in the DIY area.

and .. since i ran outside to get some photos.. i lost my seat to this guy... always taking my stuff

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great pics and excellent write up!! Thank you very much!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey 67 beast,

Great pics.

Was just wondering if you had any problems with the Dock Extender Data/Charging Cable staying connected since you had it installed? I purchased some cheap iPhone/iPod usb cable and it doesn't keep my connect to iTunes that long.

TIA!!!

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Hey 67 beast,

Great pics.

Was just wondering if you had any problems with the Dock Extender Data/Charging Cable staying connected since you had it installed? I purchased some cheap iPhone/iPod usb cable and it doesn't keep my connect to iTunes that long.

TIA!!!

I think I answered this via pm. Just use some electrical tape to secure the two.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Looks like you havent done your share of the chores yet either! I too would try to get out of vacuuming/steamcleaning if I could!
Lol. It was because of the big guy in the chair that I needed to steam clean the carpet in the first place if you know what I mean.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts