Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am into mountain biking, and sure enough my bike does fit in the back of my Kia but I am looking for something a bit more simple, once I upgrade my bike to a full suspension I don't want to have to take it apart every time (after some rides I just don't have the energy too! haha). Long story short, I want to get the hitch for a bike rack, nothing for towing because that is not recommended. Someone in some other thread responded that it voids the power train warranty if you install it? I am pretty sure you can just uninstall it with no signs of it ever being there, but has anyone tried this or know of anyone that has done it?

I found this one from Curt Manufacturing

Custom Trailer Hitch Products, Custom Receiver Hitch, Heavy Duty Towing, Curt Manufacturing product number 11019.

and I found others one from Hidden Hitch and another from etrailers, they say they are for the sedan, but the frame is the same, I believe, so it should fit both the koup and the sedan (I have a Koup after all). Just wondering if anyone has any info to add or anything. Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
whatever you found on etrailers is the one i have and it works great. as for voiding the warranty i can't be sure on that but they are bolt on so you can remove it

·
Registered
45 Posts
Here is the deal with mods and warranty. They can't void your warranty unless they can prove that your mod caused the issue. If the wire harness caused a short in the electrical system then they could make the claim against not covering the repair. However, they can't say that since you put a hitch on the car that they won't cover you water pump etc. One has nothing to do with the other.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KouperCharles do you mind taking a picture of it? I want to see how low it would hang. Also, by your name, I assume you have a Koup?

As for the turnk lid racks, I thought of that (it is much cheaper than buying a hitch and a bike rack) but I know a few people that have them, and they've left marks all over the trunk lid, which is why I do not want one of them, plus that would make it difficult if I ever decide to get a spoiler :)

Boiwithlooks thanks for the warranty info, I am just hoping they don't pull a "hey you have a hitch on your car you must be towing something with it, even though you just say its for a bike rack, we won't cover your powertrain" kind of thing.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
hitch pics

hopefully these are good enough. took them with my iphone and the sun was setting. if you want better ones i can find my camera somewhere and post some more tomorrow. got some pics with and without the ball installed. as you can see its pretty hidden and not very noticeable when you put it all away. also thats the trailer i tow with it, just a run of the mill utility trailer 4 ft wide, 6ft long fits both dirtbikes no problemo on the towing part either.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just purchased a hitch from emwholesaleautoaccessories.ca the placed around tow were charging me $220 for the hitch plus $80 for the wiring harness, the one I ordered totaled $220 which included taxes and shipping. Should be here next week and then I'll install it, they say its an easy install

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
I just purchased a hitch from emwholesaleautoaccessories.ca the placed around tow were charging me $220 for the hitch plus $80 for the wiring harness, the one I ordered totaled $220 which included taxes and shipping. Should be here next week and then I'll install it, they say its an easy install
i had mine installed while i was away from home because i "needed it" bad at that time but yeah it looks like a pretty simple install. just a few bolts. did you get the curt one steve?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
KouperCharles thanks very much for the pictures! They came out good enough, no need to dust off your camera ;) that gives me a great idea of how it will look on my Koup. It hangs a little lower than I thought. I read the instruction manual online and it does seem real easy to put on, just have to lower the exhaust, then manuever the hitch around it and bolt it up. I am thinking I might go with the one from Curt Manufacturing, I've heard a lot of good things about them, sad part is I am going to have to save up for winter tires now since that is realitively close and might have to hold off doing this until next biking season in the spring :-/ oh well, gives me time to pick a good hitch/rack combo!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I'd be leary of putting a hitch on the Forte since the manual states they don't recommend doing so. You'd be giving the dealership another reason to use against you on warranty claims. It may be just for bike racks but the hitches are built to use for towing so there's no proof that you didn't tow a trailer if something happens. Just my two cents, something to consider when deciding.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'd go with a trunk rack, its easy to take on/off: quick fix and cheap.

this is the Hollywood Express rack, very common in bike stores or go to amazon:
Amazon.com: Hollywood Racks E3 Express 3-Bike Trunk Mount Rack: Automotive

Man, there is no way I would put something like that on my car!:eek: Your car is to sweet to be messin up with scratches and scuffs from the wheels and pedals hitting it! You cant tell me that the right pedal didn't leave a mark on the bumper after hitting it! Maybe it's just me...:confused:anyone else agree?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd be leary of putting a hitch on the Forte since the manual states they don't recommend doing so. You'd be giving the dealership another reason to use against you on warranty claims. It may be just for bike racks but the hitches are built to use for towing so there's no proof that you didn't tow a trailer if something happens. Just my two cents, something to consider when deciding.

You're right MFury that is what I mean in one of my early posts. But it is just a bolt on, so bolt it on and then take it off if something does happen, I only assume there are no ways of indicating that it has been installed but I don't know.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.