Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, a couple of days ago I went out and hopped in the Forte to go to the grocery store and when I started it, the engine was misfiring like it had a cat stuck in the fan belts! It was thumping like it was a full stroke Harley and only running on two cylinders. Got a check engine light and ran the scanner on it. Misfire on cylinders 3 AND 4. My plugs only have 19,000 miles on them, so I don't know what happened. I pulled my air filter out to check for a blockage by a chipmunk or squirrel as my yard is full of both. I then started the car and it ran perfectly! WTF?? Anyway, this is the same thing that started happening before coil #2 went out. I just wonder if that's what's going to happen with coil #3 and coil #4. Maybe I should buy a couple of coils and have them on standby. What do you guys think? It's a 2.0 engine and it's a 2017 Forte LX.

Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does it still have the older style coils on 1, 3, and 4? I'd probably just get 2 new coils. When they start to go they only misfire under load.
Yeah, the coils on 1,3 and 4 are the originals. I don't get why it misfired upon initial startup. I never put my foot on the gas pedal when starting. All is do is hit the key. Oh well, it hasn't done it since and we've had several mornings of below freezing temps now. I'm going to chalk it up as a fluke. I live on Social Security and with the gas and grocery prices skyrocketing, I can't afford the coils right now. Maybe that HUGE 5.9% increase I'll get in January will buy them. Nope, about $100 a month because most will go to Part B. Maybe I can get one coil a month starting in January and just have 4 new ones on the car. LOL

Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
Yeah, the coils on 1,3 and 4 are the originals. I don't get why it misfired upon initial startup. I never put my foot on the gas pedal when starting. All is do is hit the key. Oh well, it hasn't done it since and we've had several mornings of below freezing temps now. I'm going to chalk it up as a fluke. I live on Social Security and with the gas and grocery prices skyrocketing, I can't afford the coils right now. Maybe that HUGE 5.9% increase I'll get in January will buy them. Nope, about $100 a month because most will go to Part B. Maybe I can get one coil a month starting in January and just have 4 new ones on the car. LOL
I'm not convinced it was your coils. Coils DON'T go bad and then start working again. IMO it was a "fluke" - like low fuel pressure due to a injector leakdown or something like that.

Reactions: Chuzz

Registered
2021 Kia Forte GT-Line
I'm not convinced it was your coils. Coils DON'T go bad and then start working again. IMO it was a "fluke" - like low fuel pressure due to a injector leakdown or something like that.
I've seen many bad coils that only missed under hard load. And how many people go to the dealer and they say can't replicate and replace a coil because there are no codes when they get there. Why are there no codes? Because the coils only misfire under load and codes clear very quickly for misfires. And the 2017 has many recorded issues of misfiring coils due to the older designed coils having a thinner shaft. This the TSB put out for the 20-17 Elantra and the coils are the same on the Forte.

Font Line Screenshot Parallel Electric blue

Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for that one tc0566. I wondered what the hell was inside one, but was just too lazy to try to cut one open. I'm glad I didn't! I'm about due an oil change and some more Techron Fuel System Cleaner, so will probably do that next week. Got a little construction job to help some friends with over the weekend, weather permitting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts