Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking to build my own short ram intake. i was just kinda curious what size filter would i need. is 3" to big/small?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
idk on tubing. a friend is giving me 3" cone filter i can use. i'm just trying to find out it i need to get a coupler of some sort or a a couple couplers and a tube. he's also throwing in a mini filter for the other(smaller) intake spot. so i dont have to worry about connecting the 2

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
idk on tubing. a friend is giving me 3" cone filter i can use. i'm just trying to find out it i need to get a coupler of some sort or a a couple couplers and a tube. he's also throwing in a mini filter for the other(smaller) intake spot. so i dont have to worry about connecting the 2
If you find a 3" tube then you don't need a coupler for the filter end, the filter will clamp directly to it. You will need a coupler for the 2.75" intake end to the 3" tube though. If you go with a 2.75" tube (with 2.75" straight coupler) then best to find a 2.75" filter or the 3" will be loose even with a 3" adapter ring.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where can I get the tube and coupler? Would be something I could get at an auto parts store?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Probably or grab them on ebay. I haven't built my own so not sure where to get the individual parts. I know you can get some cheap SRI kits for other vehicles on ebay and maybe adapt it to the Forte?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok thanks. i'll look around and see what i can find. if i get it built and dont screw anything up i'll post pic's thursday or friday.

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
stuck it? what you mean? (sorry)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
and also i'm gonna do the same thing as you except i may just stick the filter on the intake (no pipe). and have a rebreather filter so no extra hoses or anything. but we'll see.

·
Registered
117 Posts
stuck it? what you mean? (sorry)
lol...i'm french! :)

this intake have a hole for a sensor on the chevy. You need to block this hole if you have just one hose hooked up on the intake.

if you have two hoses, you will need to made a other hose input with the hole....me I drill the center of a bolt and I install it with a rubber "washer" for avoid dust intrusion

you can see the 2 hose on my pic (other forum)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i think i just have one hose. so i can just put my rebreather filter on there. looks like a miniature cone filter.

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Here is some photo's of the parts I used to make my CAI, it was easy. You just have to get the S/S U Bend and then take it to an Auto shop and see what couplers fit. The rubber couplers I used I got from a hardware shop plumbing section, they were more stronger and able to support the S/S tubing and filter without having to use a bracket.
Also this is a video of my CAI in my Forte Sedan which is now on my Koup

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yes. or atleast something similar to that.

and what im going to do is.
the pipe from motor to box over the ECU=gone
intake on motor=attach cone filter (pipe or no pipe i dont know yet)
rebreather (i think thats what it's called) is going to have a mini filter attached

·
Registered
117 Posts
yes. or atleast something similar to that.

and what im going to do is.
the pipe from motor to box over the ECU=gone
intake on motor=attach cone filter (pipe or no pipe i dont know yet)
rebreather (i think thats what it's called) is going to have a mini filter attached
kk....but are you sure that the air filter will fit (have the place) for attach it on the motor's intake?

·
Registered
576 Posts
I left the old airbox in situ, I just attached some flexible hosing to it from the stock air inlet above the radiator. This way the cpu keeps cool also.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
leaving box over ecu as is.

going to attach filter to coupler which will attach to motor. or it there is not enough room for the filter to fit like that i will have a coupler to intake hole. tube to coupler. coupler to tube. and coupler to filter.
basically same thing as everyone else short ram intake except for the tube in between the filter and the intake

·
Registered
117 Posts
leaving box over ecu as is.

going to attach filter to coupler which will attach to motor. or it there is not enough room for the filter to fit like that i will have a coupler to intake hole. tube to coupler. coupler to tube. and coupler to filter.
basically same thing as everyone else short ram intake except for the tube in between the filter and the intake
hope you will post some pics!!! lol:D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts