Kia Forte Forum banner

Horn issue on 2017 Forte 5

Tags
horn
7K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  kalu17forte 
#1 ·
I have a 2017 Kia Forte 5 and my horn won’t honk when you press the steering wheel, but it will when locked by key fob. Help!!!

#2 · (Edited)
I can't say for certainty this is correct on 2017 Fortes because I don't have that year specifically but on my other Hyundai and Kia cars, the horn for the alarm (what beeps when you lock the car and what goes off when the alarm is activated) is different from the horn that honks when you press the steering wheel.

I'd first check the fuses and then check the horn itself.

#3 · (Edited)
If it's still in warranty take to dealership & have them fix it. You paid for warranty.

If out of warranty, check your enter & out/lock & unlock settings. I'm not familiar at all with 2017's but they definitely have more installed in them than my 2010 SX.

Do what NovaResource said. Just remember to disconnect & discharge any saved/stored residual charge or you'll fire off the airbags. Avoid the airbag scenes from Neighbors.

My 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited V6 has settings for lock & unlock/leave & approach etc. It's extensive tech stuff for a 2011.

#5 ·
There are 2 sets of horns in 2017 Forte

If you open the hood, if you look at the passenger side right next to the engine, you will see a horn it looks like a shell / snail.

That is the alarm horn.

The horn for your steering wheel is on the passenger side front bumper in the corner below your headlights.

It is a separate horn.

1. Check the fuse - fuse for the steering horn should be in the engine bay near the battery.
2. If it doesn't look blown, you have to check the connection by looking at the horn with requires removing the bumper or jacking up the car and looking it from under
3. If it all looks good and doesn't work, its horn malfunction and it needs to be replaced.

You can do this diagnose yourself or if you don't know how to any of this just take it to the dealership.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.