Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious as a possibly future owner about the sound system.... does it have any bass? I find a lot of stock systems lack low-end.

Let me know your thoughts on the stock sound.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
IMO, the stock sound system is sufficient. Of course, this could mean many things to different people. There is an 'enhanced bass' option you can turn on, which adds a noticeable increase in bass. It will not replace an aftermarket sub/amp, which I had in a vehicle prior to my Forte. However, I haven't had any needs to install it - the vehicle's system works great for me. Haven't had the volume above level 22 - and haven't noticed any cracking/fuzz from the speakers. Shouldn't have any problems if you don't blast it constantly - but if you do that you're going to install an aftermarket system and amp it anyway, right?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Audio quality is a very subjective thing. I have and EX with six speakers. I think it sounds great. I have the power bass set to the middle setting. I personally don't think the bass should overwhelm the music, but that seems to be an ever-increasingly minority opinion.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
What size of speakers is the stock system running? I have a pair of aftermarket 6x9's in my car right now. Was wondering if I would be able to install them in the rear speaker spot.

·
Registered
37 Posts
For every day listening to radio / CD's the stereo and speaker setup is more than enough. I know I wasn't blown away by the audio quality but I'm also very far from disappointed. It does what it needs to do, play music. If you want window shaking bass, you will need to go to aftermarket setups.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
6x9s

What size of speakers is the stock system running? I have a pair of aftermarket 6x9's in my car right now. Was wondering if I would be able to install them in the rear speaker spot.

If you have a Sedan, then you do not have 6x9's in the back, only 6.5"s in the doors.

If you want to add 6x9's you'll have to get a car audio installer to do a LOT of custom work (which includes cutting the interior metal and possibly weakening the rear deck's structure and adding noise to the vehicle's ride)

My opinion on the stock system is this:

It's fine for the everyday user, however for the person who wants it louder or even better for that matter, after-market speakers are a must. The bass boost setting in the deck drastically reduces your ability to raise the volume before distortion.

The stock speakers are 22w max and of very low quality. I only say this because one of the first steps i took to upgradig involved simply swapping the speakers for better ones (Kenwood eXcelons) and even on the stock amp the difference was incredible.

I've since had a lot of work done and it's amazing!

****I would recommend to anyone swapping out their stock speakers for better ones, or even going further to spend the extra money at the same time by adding deadening material to the doors. (dynamat for instance) I have upgraded everything in the car but skipped this step and once you have much more power going through the door speakers you will immediately hear how thin their metal is, and how much energy is lost into the doors by resonance.

The door metal thickeness is one of my 'beefs' about the forte, however once it warms up here ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm the proud owner of a Forte Koup SX 2.4l /AT and I must say that the sound in this thing is incredible :D
ok I'm not in my 20's anymore trying to pop the windshield off of the frame but it is plenty for my taste ,never passed the 20 out of the 30 sound level:eek:
I'm sure the Sirius Sat radio makes a big difference (digital):cool:
and of course the obvious, everybody is different and perceive music in different ways , but it comes to the point, that since I'm no pro(just like most of us) when it comes to sound quality , I feel that the stock system is plenty for me,
good power (watts) ,4 adjustments for the Bass,which is more then enough to blow your ear drums off , some descent Tweeters and speakers (what ever they are 6x9 or.........) so until you actually listen to it don't rush to the store and waste your money on something that will only make a tiny difference (it's all in your head) of course you'll have bragging rights , so what???? , save that money and invest in something that will put more horses into your new toy, after all ,the sweetest feeling is the victorious one .
just my 2cents

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just bought the Kia Forte Coupe SX...
I am a HUGE fan of a great sound system. I just traded in my Toyota with an Alpine stereo, bass tube and Apline speakers. I took out the bass tube and would like to hook it up to the factory sound system. Does anyone know the measurements of the speakers, because if you ask me...they need to be replaced!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sound fidelity!

Hi everybody!
I replace the factory speakers for a kenwood ones and add a subwoofer too. I am a 46 now, I love my Forte SX Sedan, so I upgrade the sound system for quality and fidelity. And is true is only in our mind if want more go and get. The only thing, is you cannot swap the factory deck, so far.It a matter of time. I live in Puerto Rico island and we are recieving sirrus signal pretty good, it could be better if the people of SIRRUS do something, is business(executive) decision of sirrus. I made my sound upgrade and everything goes fine, blootooth, Ipod; any harm my car except better sound in new "pony" I mean Forte.

Spicy Red.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ok....so today I put a 10 inch bass tube which is directly connected to the back speakers so we can use the fader as bass control. Also...upgraded the tweeters for $70 would you believe the stereo sounds AMAZING! I am really picky about sound systems and I can't tell you how happy I am with everything.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey D113...

I'm going to follow your recommendation to at least upgrade the speakers (Mine's a Koup SX). Which Kenwood part numbers fit which speaker location...?

Thankxxxx for the help.

·
Registered
533 Posts
If you wanna do a lil research just find a set that fit the stock sizes... Koup SX has 1"x1" tweeters x2, 6.5"x2.5" rounds in front, 6.5"x3.5" rounds in back... I'm personally getting all replaced at the local tuner shop with some mid range powerbass for the front and back ($50 per set) and also the tweeters ($30 a piece)

·
Registered
126 Posts
The sound system is of excellent quality. Combine that with digital mp3 files from a USB drive and you have a great system.
Agreed, but D113 is spot-on. I've been listening to my friend's system in her Forte SX sedan (picking up my Koup today!:)); while there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the head unit's features and power, the low-end drivers installed at the factory (they did have to skimp on some things to get it out-the-door at that price...) cannot deliver adequate low-end bass at moderately loud sound levels. High-end drivers won't cost that much and I can probably install them myself. I'll listen to the results and decide if a subwoofer is required (I'll be looking for a small one that mounts under the seat...).

Cheers,

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you wanna do a lil research just find a set that fit the stock sizes... Koup SX has 1"x1" tweeters x2, 6.5"x2.5" rounds in front, 6.5"x3.5" rounds in back... I'm personally getting all replaced at the local tuner shop with some mid range powerbass for the front and back ($50 per set) and also the tweeters ($30 a piece)
Thankxxx. I'm surfing the Web for those sizes; I'll let you know.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
A Forte SX Sedan owner friend of mine just upgraded his stock speaker to somethign aftermarket. No amp on them, just the speakers. It's amazing how great the Forte's deck sounds on it's own when you swap out the speakers!

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'll actually be swapping out all four of my stock speakers to JL Marine speakers. These speakers are meant for boats but in a car they sound ridiculous. They're designed to be crisp and clear in a loud open space so let your mind imagine what they'll do in an enclosed Koup... so much noise to make.. so lil time... lol...

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
under seat sub

******.. I can nearly garauntee you wont get one there. Not only do you need the woofer, but the woofer needs an enclosure.

Get one in the trunk that you can easily remove!

Cheers

D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey D113!

Thanks for the feedback. Wrt the sub under the seat vs an enclosure in the trunk; that's exactly what my installer said however I'm unwilling to give up the trunk space or put up with the annoyance of removing the sub box when i need trunk space. So we're gonna try the Kenwood KSC-SW10 (self-powered, self contained, 150W 5x7 driver w 5x7 passive radiator) set-up under the seat and see if that satisfies my ears; the reviews on the web are favorable when it's used to fill up the lower end (as opposed to blowing out the windows...) If I'm not happy then the box in the trunk...

Here's the list of components for the upgrade:

The aforementioned Kenwood sub;
Pair of Infinity Reference 6032CF for the rear speakers;
Pair of Infinity Reference 6030CS for the front speakers;
Infinity Reference 475A 4x75w RMS amp.
Stinger line-to-RCA converters for Main amp and sub.

All instaled by BestBuy on Sat morning. 'Let you know how it sounds Sat pm.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts