Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's been some discussion regarding the 2.0 engine on both the Forte and Soul forums about engine noise(valve clatter, light knocking sound, etc). This is NOT injectors. It's also not at cold start, generally. It only occurs coming off fast idle after a cold start or at warm idle.

Any SX owners(2.4 engine) experiencing engine noise of the type mentioned above? Maybe this is just a Kia(Hyundai) engine thing. But on a new car it makes you wonder.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
i have but then again my 6 speed transmissions seems to need to "warm up" also its hard to go into gears some times grind second on a slow hard shift forcing it to do that scratching sound after a while just gets smooth weird or not? normal or not? that tick sound on my motor sounds like a diesel. dont let me get started on the damn brakes just a few minutes ago i almost smack into a pole my wheels just keept gliding wen i punched on the brakes not to happy going to service it next year...aka after the holidays

·
Registered
166 Posts
when cold the car sound like (valves clicking) at 3000rpms and its hard to shift from 1-2-3 after 800meters or so its getting better ...

the engine dosent sound enought for me lol its so quiet I always push the MUTE buttons on the steering wheel so I can heart something coming from the front of the car somewhere lol suppose to be a 2,4l engine haha

·
Registered
486 Posts
yea on the cold days I have noticed same. Have not had to many warm days yet. So see what happens then.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These engines are noisy as hell after a cold start and the idle starts dropping. I mean, there are lots of different noises going on. Clatter, tapping, light knocking, chattering. I've never heard anything like it on a new car. It's not just the solid lifters, that doesn't beging to cover it.

A Hyundai press release for the new 2.4 Theta II GDI(direct injection) states that the variable valve sytem has been improved to be "quieter and more durable". Hmmm...

·
Registered
166 Posts
even my mazda 3 2008 do some clacking noise at cold weather the forte is ok but sound weird a 3000rpms for the first mile or so but its ok just up the radio hehe

and my car only have ----700kms on it hehehehe still in the break in period :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well i live in Northern Ontario and it can get pretty cold here , our 2.4 is quiet , absolutely no complaints with this car .

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in Toronto and after cold starts there have been no noises out of the ordinary on my 2.4. Perhaps it was something with the earlier cars sold as I got mine in the beginning of February and have had no rattles, shakes, or tapping as discussed in other threads.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My 2.4 Koup SX has that click-click-clicking sound. Dealer says its normal. Must be a Kia thing?
i think its normal on most new cars today, when i first bought my brand new 2008 yaris sedan it has a ticking noise in a steady tick-tick-tick pattern, it is normal and i believe for more cars today it is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I live where it gets pretty cold 7 months of the year. At -20 this engine sounds like a diesel. By far the loudest 4 cly i've ever heard on cold starts. When its warm, purs like a kitten though. No odd noises, just really loud on cold starts; shockingly loud!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Not much I can do about the cold clattering, but I'm going to be installing Redline MT-90 in the transmission as soon as I get around to it. That stuff worked miracles on my stubborn Mazdaspeed 6 transmission.....can't wait to make the switch. This transmission is a stubborn bitch when it's cold.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i would go all royal purple but both are great companies, when i get my koup, im switching it to royal purple synthetic right away once i get home.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I haven't noticed it being extremely loud on cold days -30C it just has a whine for a short while (oil pump or belts?) but all the cars I have had made the exact same whine noise on cold days until warmed up, the normal ticking of injectors is the loudest I have heard from a 4cyl though. I listened to a new civic once and I couldn't tell if it was running with the hood down. Barely perceptible with it up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Christ, I have a 16 year old 4runner, thats starting to be a bit stiff on cold mornings.

you guys are all complaining about it ALREADY....I cant imagine what it will be like in 5-10 years..... I'm really starting to doubt Kia's quality...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree. It is disconcerning for sure. 5 yr 100,00km for us Canadians is pretty good. My warrantly will outlast my payments, and that works for me. If they build a crap product, they will pay to fix it for the next 5 years. Assuming my neighbours can put up with the noise lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine is the same, not that we've had that many cold mornings, but is noticeably louder on cold days.

The best comment I've heard on the sound of my engine:
"The transmission is quick to shift and the programming is smart, but too frequently the process sends the 173-horsepower engine spinning wildly, and it sounds and feels like a blender full of smaller blenders full of speakers blasting white noise."

·
Registered
38 Posts
Engine noise may be loud but i doubt they will turn out like toyota. As in your baby turning on you and taking lives, its pretty horrible that toyota cars been claiming lives of innocent. I got a toyota yaris, I'm trying to get rid of it ASAP to switch over to KIA, my car wasn't recalled but I will never go back to toyota ever.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts