Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just wonderin if anybody had their stock 215 45 17 goodyear eagle ls all season tires on the winter. I live in Ontario, canada and we do get some snow, but not as much compare to the western province of canada. How does the stock tires on winter? does anybody had any problems with it? I'm in a bit of a budget and with christmass just around the corner if i could get away with the tires i have now i would rather use the money i would spend for winter tires for christmass shopping....:D

·
Registered
316 Posts
In Ontario...i'd get winters. Even if it's not snowing you still lose grip driving all-seasons. If you're just beating around the city then maybe the all-seasons are good enough but if you get a heavy snowfall it would be best just to park it.

Look for a set of used ones...although it would be hard at 205/45/17. I was lucky enough to have a friend that wrote off their old Jetta that had 205/55/16 (same as me EX) and gave them to me as a christmas present...only used 1 month. :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have the Hankook Optimos on my EX sedan and today was the real first snow we had in Edmonton. They SUCK in the winter - I was not driving aggressively and the car was still pushing into corners and the TC indicator was lighting up. Moderate braking also caused ABS to kick in.

I've never owned winter tires before and I've done fine on the all-seasons I've used in the past (yes even in -40C weather and more than light snow, hey it's Edmonton!). I realize I'm not going to get great performance in winter, but I'm disappointed that I probably have to shell out more money so soon after buying a brand new car.

And the wife's SUV is looking like it needs new tires too. *sigh*

·
Registered
348 Posts
The Goodyears are um... SH!T! I commute 30 km each way on freeway and I drove in this morning like it was summertime (on Hankook winter tires)... jumped into a customer's Forte SX (ironically enough, to put winters on it) and I was sliding all over the lot! The difference is absolutely amazing, and yes, he did have 33,000 kms on the Goodyears but even he said he learnt his lesson last winter and wasn't going to do THAT again...

GoodYear's website ranks the LS2 as a 7/10 snow. Want traction 70% of the time? Go ahead... but that means your traction is *gone* 30% of the time. Think about it. Sounds like a 'fear tactic' but seriously... there is nothing your traction control, steering input, braking or acceleration can do to save you if your tires can't grip the road. Period.

jcbel, send me a message... we've got 1/2 price tires right now... a set of winters, mount/balance/tire levy/tax all in for under $600.

·
Registered
973 Posts
if you really don't get much snow then you might be okay, We got about 10 inches one day and I was out driving around the next few days in it with minimal problems
got close to being stuck but this car, being a torquey fwd, pulled it through (ironically enough, next to an evo that stayed stuck lol)

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Ah shite!!! I'm feeling Titanium's pain. I might have to splurge for a set of winters. I was driving at about 50 kmh today and lightly pressed the brakes and my car would not slow down. Had to steer into the next lane to avoid hitting a stopped car. I too was hoping the Goodyears would suffice for the winter but seriously have my doubts now...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Put it two ways for you. Firstly, With the 17in SX stock tires, slush-snow at -1 would scare the crap out of a professional driver. Secondly, I put on 16in General Altimax Arctic Winter Tires just in time for -20 weather and snow... I won't be scared to drive to the grocery store to buy milk now.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Just put winter tires for your own safety and for your ride!!
Even if I had the choice (we must be on winter tire by december 15th here) I'll put winter tire on my ride: way better handling, braking and traction plus you'll save your LS2 for summer (even if they are crappy)!!
My 2 cents

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hey TitaniumGTSX........I've had my ride since Nov. 09'. I'm still on my stock tires. Last winter was not much of a winter here in the GTA, and the Koup handled quite well on stock. Of course there were a few moments.....but that goes the same for all the other vehicles here.
If I had the coin.....I would put winters on, but economics are what it is....thus I'm riding on stock through this year as well. I suppose I will have to use some intellect...if its coming down hard.......I'll wait till the plows are out. (Lets hope Mr. Ford does not cut the budget for the plows :) )
Good luck to yah....and welcome aboard....and hopefully we shall meet up sometime.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I switched to Nokian winter tires and used the 17in stock rims.
Amazing handling on snow and ice and well worth the money.
I was really amazed at the difference and give them a test in the parking lot under new snow and ice conditions just to get a feel for what the vehicle is capable of for my own info.
You just can't compare a all season to a true winter tire.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Does anybody have info on the stock NEXEN tires in light/moderate winter driving?
I have been using my stock Nexen tires 16" since last December but I do light driving in winter. 5km to work and 5km back each day. Did one trip to Calgary last winter during snowstorm and had no problem but I also don't drive like a banshee (during winter) with these tires on.

Had a few days of deep snow and never got stuck but I have quite a few years of winter driving experience too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
MFury, do you work near Shaw? If so, I saw your car a few days ago. Looks good!

I have the 215/45-17 Goodyear Eagle LS tires on my Koup, and they are junk in the snow! I seriously think the Exclaim UHP summer-only tires I had on my Z24 were better in the snow than these things. I was surprised and very disappointed with how useless these tires are in winter conditions.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I live in the GTA as well and would recommend getting snow tires if you can afford it. Even though we did not get a lot of snow last year, it's always a hard thing to predict and it's better to have them on just in case you find yourself driving during that sudden snow storm or after some freezing rain. My winter tires served me well last year on a couple of occasions when freezing rain had turned my street into an ice rink. I agree with KiaTech and would also recommend the Hankook iPike winter tires. I got my set including steel rims, mounting and balancing from Tires 23 in Mississauga last October for under $650 OTD. Bought a set of plastic wheel covers off eBay for $40, slapped them on and I was good for the winter. I'd recommend that if you decide to get winter tires to act quickly as the cheaper priced tires sell out faster than the higher priced premium brands at most shops in the GTA.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The dealership and I split the cost of a set of snow tires and black steel wheels when I purchased my SX. It was without a doubt a great idea. The stock good year's were trash on snow and ice. The car felt as though it was floating, not really having any interaction with the ground.

Once I put the snow tires on it felt completely different, much more confident when driving on them.

The black wheels/snow tires don't win any style contests, but they're staying on until the spring.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The stock tires are terrible in the snow. I couldnt make it up my driveway with a 1/4" of snow. Not a very steep incline either. I put winters on them today around $500 for 205/55R16 tires plus rims. Bought them at a rexdale tire store, installed them myself. Go for winters to be safe ;)

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
The stock tires are terrible in the snow. I couldnt make it up my driveway with a 1/4" of snow. Not a very steep incline either. I put winters on them today around $500 for 205/55R16 tires plus rims. Bought them at a rexdale tire store, installed them myself. Go for winters to be safe ;)

What brand/model????

·
Registered
215 Posts
Agree that Eagle LS2 on SX is terrible on snow. Had first snow here, about 1 inch accumulation on the road (though it's still falling). I barely had a grip. While I crawled around 30-35 mph on the road, a subcompact, Honda Fit, passed me, a large SUV passed me, a pickup passed me. But I passed a rear-wheel drive BMW which was fish tailing :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts