Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it comes with a 100k drivetrain warranty, but I *plan* on keeping my baby for at least 200k miles unless it turns into a pile of rust before then LOL..

What I want to know is how much a new transmission and engine will set me back when the time comes to replace them. I've looked all over the Internets but can't find prices. Anyone know??

2,213 Posts
I know it comes with a 100k drivetrain warranty, but I *plan* on keeping my baby for at least 200k miles unless it turns into a pile of rust before then LOL..

What I want to know is how much a new transmission and engine will set me back when the time comes to replace them. I've looked all over the Internets but can't find prices. Anyone know??

lol you're worried about something thats going to happen in about 15 years?? i wouldnt worry about it now, im pretty sure the prices are going to be totally diffrent by then lol but if i had to take a guess...$1500-$2000 range for a tranny, and probably the same for the engine.

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Thats a pretty big question.

There are so many things that will affect the price. You can replace parts with used parts and it is much cheaper than using new parts. You can find mechanics that charge anywhere from $50-$150 an hour. You are going to have some control over what you spend but there is no way to know how much these parts will cost in 5-10 years.

I would say that parts for a Forte are going to be a lot cheaper than say a BMW or Audi.

2,213 Posts
Thats a pretty big question.

There are so many things that will affect the price. You can replace parts with used parts and it is much cheaper than using new parts. You can find mechanics that charge anywhere from $50-$150 an hour. You are going to have some control over what you spend but there is no way to know how much these parts will cost in 5-10 years.

I would say that parts for a Forte are going to be a lot cheaper than say a BMW or Audi.

BMW tune up: $2400, oil change: $225, now you know why i sold it and got a kia!! lol

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol you're worried about something thats going to happen in about 15 years??
I put 2,000 miles per month on my Forte, so in 15 years it will have 360,000 miles on it. I would LOVE for my engine/tranny to last that long but somehow I doubt it.. =(

And I know ALL about being raped by the dealership for oil changes/repairs for "finer cars". I had a Jetta TDI and every service cost at least $150. The timing belt had to be replaced at 80k miles, that was $1,200, it managed to develop some electrical problems at 90k, oops another $1,000 down the drain!! Then at 130k, the transmission started going south and they quoted me at $4,500! I wasn't ready to spend that kind of money on a tranny for a car with that many miles on it, even if it was a diesel. Plus, it had some air conditioning problems and was leaking fluids, which is a whole other story..

So I traded that pos in for my new baby!!! :)

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
I have a 2004 Spectra which is pretty much the same car. Its got around 125k miles on it. I've had to replace the alternator and the clutch. It doesn't get driven nearly as much as your car does though.

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
410 Posts
.......how long is a piece of string?

Phone a dealer and ask them how much and then phone an independent garage for the same thing - you'll have your answer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts