Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just thinking today and I was curious to see how often you guys wash and wax your cars. I've only had my car for like 4 days but I already washed it once haha, it was covered in pollen =[

Also, what brand wash and wax do you use? any suggestions for certain products?

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I was just thinking today and I was curious to see how often you guys wash and wax your cars. I've only had my car for like 4 days but I already washed it once haha, it was covered in pollen =[

Also, what brand wash and wax do you use? any suggestions for certain products?
Hey Joe! I actually wash mine once a week or more depending on what crap gets on the car. Lol. I actaully bought the "5starshine" system since I have a black sedan. I applied it once and now I use a special ph balanced car since that's what's recommended. The shine is insane. Check out my thread on my spoiler (it should be in today's posts) and look at the first picture. That shine was after a wash... Not a wax.

It's been on about 2-3 weeks and so far I love it. Just need to see how it holds up since it's expensive.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is a pretty nice shine haha. how much was that system?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I usually bring mine through the local touchless car wash at least once every few weeks. I commute on the highway 5 days a week so my car tends to get blasted with dirt and exhaust.

Any normal brand name wax will do fine if you take your time with it. If you have extra time on your hands and want to have a showroom like finish, use the clay bar system. I had a friend use this on his car and its amazing how much contaminants the clay bar can lift off the paint.

I have tried Meguiar's ColorX and am really happy with the results. It's an all-in-one clean/polish/wax solution. It geared towards older cars where the paint has been neglected and is used for paint restoration. However, it's safe for all finishes and can be used on new cars as well. It's not abrasive at all. I find it works very well after a long winter with all that salt and grime and although not as good as a clay bar, I found that it still lifts a lot of the contaminants off the paint. It also works well on painted wheels. You can find it at your local store for about $10.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
It gets a full wash inside and out once a week. Always dried with a chamois.

I think i need to invest in the wandwash around the corner too!

My baby is always sparkling!!!

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
when it gets "rain free" here in san antonio for the summer, and i think it has alrady started, i wash my car twice a week but before i leave any where, i make sure there isnt dust or pollen on the windshield because the biggest eye sore for me is dried dirt on the sides of the windshield from using your wipers to clear dirt. also bird crap on the car is bad cuz ive heard it will ruin your paint if left on long enough. some strong bird sh*t if you ask me lol. makes it easier for me to wash it if its not that dirty, savvy? ;) haha

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking of washing the car like once a week and waxing once every 2 weeks. I might have to invest in that 5starshine system though.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I was thinking of washing the car like once a week and waxing once every 2 weeks. I might have to invest in that 5starshine system though.
I'll keep you posted in the meantime how the shine holds up. According to the directions / information after you apply it once you just need to wash it with the ph soap and you get about 15 washes out of the bottle. I'm going on the honeymoon next week so the car is going to sit for a week straight. I'll wash it once I get home and see how it holds up after a week of weather and baking in the sun.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I checked out amazon and their having some really good sales on car washing stuff.
Got this kit
with free shipping (think you need to spend over $30 to get it)

·
Registered
215 Posts
After I hand wash and dry off, I clean off visible specks of dirt and tar spots. I then apply Nu Finish... let it dry for 1/2 - 1 day, then apply a coat of wax (cheap turtle wax). This method keeps the surface shiny and it's easy to wipe off dirt.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Waxing every 2 weeks is a little much, every three months maybe, as soon as the water stops beading its time to wax. 2 weeks is not necessary.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just wondering if anyone who takes their car through a car wash actually unscrews the antenna first before going through like the manual says?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have a 1.5" stubby, no need! but its always hand washed or wandwashed, never through those soft brush car washed, they are awesome for paint jobs....NOT!!!

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
i dont ever take mine through a machine but if were to do it AND i had the long antenna... actually i would have no clue... would water get in the antenna if you take it off? i think just play safe and hand wash haha good question tho

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just wondering if anyone who takes their car through a car wash actually unscrews the antenna first before going through like the manual says?
I take mine off usually just to be safe and have had no problems... but if you're going through a touchless wash I don't think it really matters... a soft cloth wash DEFINITELY take it off cuz that wash roller could rollover your roof and bend it right back... (don't recommend the washes that actually touch your car... they're always bad news )

good luck!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I reccomend taking it off. I found out the hard way. My first mistake was using a touch style car wash. My second was not taking the antenna off. So now im left with a custom shark fin. : (

1 - 20 of 28 Posts