Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Just became a new owner of the Forte EX with premium. Gotta say I love it thus far. I had a Camry and a TL before, kinda feels like I'm driving the Camry with better mileage with all the options of the TL ++ less price and better warranty. I have a loaner now and am actually going to pick up my car in two days. I have quick question for you guys all.

How did you guys break-in the engine when you first got the car?

Manual of course, says go easy for the first 500 miles, but I hear/read contrary where people claim it should it all RPMs, run hard for a while etc etc.

Just curious of what everyone else did.

Thanks!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Vary engine speed(rpm) and driving conditions. That's the most crucial issue. Can be accomplished by a mix of city and freeway driving. Doing so will result in a strong performing engine that doesn't use oil. I would not exceed 4k rpms for first 600 miles, per the owners manual. But approach 4k on occasion.

·
Banned
23 Posts
race it!!! haha

Just kidding.

As people said, Mix in City with Hwy

That always works.

And if its not happening quick enough for you then...

RACE IT

Seriously im kiddin haha

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,879 Posts
race it!!! haha

Just kidding.

As people said, Mix in City with Hwy

That always works.

And if its not happening quick enough for you then...

RACE IT

Seriously im kiddin haha
Something tells me that your throttle is in only one of two positions...wide open or closed...LoL

Just follow the owner's manual and you'll be alright.

·
Registered
2 Posts
im 21 and the first thing i did on the ride home.... was see how high it would rev .... but don't worry, i plan on getting my moneys worth of my 7 year 160k warranty mwuahaha but i think it would be wise to drive easy

·
Registered
56 Posts
im 21 and the first thing i did on the ride home.... was see how high it would rev .... but don't worry, i plan on getting my moneys worth of my 7 year 160k warranty mwuahaha but i think it would be wise to drive easy
I'm with you on this one but maybe it's cause i'm young too. I usually shift at redline at least 3 times a day, keep the pedal on the floor pretty often, and push the car to it's limits. When I pay for something, I like to have fun with it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
At roughly $7-9,000 for a new engine... you'll pay for it if you have 'too much fun'. Yes, warranty will cover pretty much everything you could imagine (and I've seen them cover things you can't imagine) but they have also swung back over the other way and NOT covered some things that seemed really simple. It's in their best interests to make sure you are happy, but it's also their interest to not spend their money.

I have one of the hardest jobs in the world sometimes looking at bits and bolts of broken engines and I have found a few now that have been outright abused. And when presented with the facts Warranty has not approved the repair. We have a vehicle (not a ThetaII) in the shop right now with three cylinders worth of piston, rod and oil pan sitting on the ground in over 300 fragments because of abuse and the customer just pulled out of the court battle. After four months he has now given up trying to prove that he didn't abuse the engine - even though at the point of failure we can prove he was doing 5,800 RPM, at 55 mph, in 4 low. That's abuse, and that is not warranted.

Treat it right... it's just the right thing to do. "Drive it like it's stolen" only applies to stolen vehicles - not rentals or new cars under warranty. I will agree that the above suggestions to not exceed 4,000 RPM is the right way to go - no matter how tempting it is.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I guess it's just one of those things I'll have to learn the hard way. I don't think I've ever recommended someone be denied warranty due to abuse and I've had some pretty obvious cases. Ford can afford to cover someone's bad judgement once in awhile :p

·
Registered
243 Posts
At roughly $7-9,000 for a new engine... you'll pay for it if you have 'too much fun'. Yes, warranty will cover pretty much everything you could imagine (and I've seen them cover things you can't imagine) but they have also swung back over the other way and NOT covered some things that seemed really simple. It's in their best interests to make sure you are happy, but it's also their interest to not spend their money.

I have one of the hardest jobs in the world sometimes looking at bits and bolts of broken engines and I have found a few now that have been outright abused. And when presented with the facts Warranty has not approved the repair. We have a vehicle (not a ThetaII) in the shop right now with three cylinders worth of piston, rod and oil pan sitting on the ground in over 300 fragments because of abuse and the customer just pulled out of the court battle. After four months he has now given up trying to prove that he didn't abuse the engine - even though at the point of failure we can prove he was doing 5,800 RPM, at 55 mph, in 4 low. That's abuse, and that is not warranted.

Treat it right... it's just the right thing to do. "Drive it like it's stolen" only applies to stolen vehicles - not rentals or new cars under warranty. I will agree that the above suggestions to not exceed 4,000 RPM is the right way to go - no matter how tempting it is.
5850 rpm is below redline, so how does that qualify as abuse?

·
Registered
436 Posts
The GM dealership I worked at in Wyoming voided one warranty in the years that I was there. It all stemmed from my service manager witnessing the abuse (it was a very small town). I don't think he approached redline, but the owner was witnessed doing a smoky burnout from a stoplight in a Pontiac LeMans SE, followed by a tire-screeching left turn at the next light.

The next time the guy came in for service (that car was plagued with problems) he was denied warranty coverage by GM.

Dealerships are ALL OVER denying warranty claims because of one key issue: They're required to store warrantied parts for company inspection, and if the company inspects a part and determines that the failure was caused by abuse, they'll do a charge-back to the dealership for the entire work order. To avoid that, they pick apart every scenerio that's questionable and deny coverage when they can.

The parts department was a fascinating job....I was the one responsible for documenting and storing all the warranty parts. My store room was never quite large enough.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The car's computer(ECU/ECM) will also store data that can show abuse(i.e. exceeding redline, etc). They'll often pull it and analyze recorded data in cases of major engine repairs under warranty. Same with the transmission...of which data is also recorded.

In my opinion, where the engine is concerned, "abuse" would have to be in the form of exceeding redline, low oil level, overheating, or mods that adversely affected proper engine function. In the case of the trasnmission...exceeding max speeds within a gear, low fuid level, and once again, engine mods that could put undue stress on the transmission/clutch.

It's a gray area whether or not to deny a warranty claim. I think a lot of room has to be given the owner unless it's an obvious case he/she just trashed their car on a regular basis.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The 5,800 RPM is below redline, but to be going 55 mph in 4 low, that's not a "I hit the gas and it revved and it broke". That is "I was screaming my engine down the highway and it broke." That is abuse.

And we don't 'recommend' things to not be covered, but it is our responsibility to report all the facts as they are, and to try not to speculate. We present the information to the best of our ability, and warranty makes the calls. They quite often will simply say "can we prove 100% that it is abused and not failure?" and we typically say "no" (because did the rod break and take out the engine or did the fool kill his car and take out the rod? All we get is a pile of parts and a customer that usually tells us that they were not doing anything wrong). But in this case, the customer changed his story several times (started off he was "parked in a driveway when it banged") and the extent of the damage told us he was up to no good (oil spray to the tailgate from obvious speed at the time of failure, and the computers told us the rest of the story).

This was a fairly clear cut case... another example is a rental car that came in with a hole in the block. We can not 100% positively say that it was abused, even though it was a rental car and covered with mud. So warranty bucked up and is covering the engine. All I know is #2 rod came out the side of the block in 5 pieces, and brought most of the piston with it. How it happened I can't say, so we just go with what we have and fix it.

The point here is that just because you pay for it, doesn't mean it's yours to wreck and Papa Warranty will clean up your mess. Warranty is there to help when right things go wrong - not to fix your mistakes for free. If you do your part, they'll be happy to do their's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The GM dealership I worked at in Wyoming voided one warranty in the years that I was there. It all stemmed from my service manager witnessing the abuse (it was a very small town). I don't think he approached redline, but the owner was witnessed doing a smoky burnout from a stoplight in a Pontiac LeMans SE, followed by a tire-screeching left turn at the next light.

The next time the guy came in for service (that car was plagued with problems) he was denied warranty coverage by GM.

Dealerships are ALL OVER denying warranty claims because of one key issue: They're required to store warrantied parts for company inspection, and if the company inspects a part and determines that the failure was caused by abuse, they'll do a charge-back to the dealership for the entire work order. To avoid that, they pick apart every scenerio that's questionable and deny coverage when they can.

The parts department was a fascinating job....I was the one responsible for documenting and storing all the warranty parts. My store room was never quite large enough.
Was the owner of the LeMans named Bob? haha. I used to know a bad ass mofo named bob and we trashed his LeMans up in Sheridan WY. Eitherway, I am now 1 week into owning my first brand new car. I got the Koup EX 4speed auto and I love it so far. I work on Volkswagens for a living, but love my new Kia

cheers
Jeff

·
Registered
196 Posts
I recently bought a Koup EX with 4 speed automatic and I am very happy with it.

For the break in I fluctuated my speed and even took a few extra back roads to avoid the temptation to push it hard. In my area these are fun roads since they have lots of turns. I like to care for my stuff so I am not an abusive driver. I hope to never need the warranty but I am glad it is there.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have been driving mine with my foot on the floor since the test drive. No problems since then and no problems so far, knock on wood!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been up to 70 once or twice on the highway, but most of the time I try to stay between 50-55, and 30-35 in the city unless 20-25 is required. Plan to put a Scangauge II in just to try to maximize mpg as best I can given the 6sp A/T. Should've just walked out when they said that was all they had...told them they had my number and to call me when they get a manual in. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I can't help but go full throttle all the time... that high-flow cat just sounds soooo good!

There are many different camps of thought for the break in, but the general consensus is not to race th engine for the first 500 miles. After that, feel free to kill it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts