Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to change the corner headlight corner of the forte from the current orange (which is all i see on the road), to white as shown on the attached pic?

I personally think the white corner make the headlights look nicer, and i really dont want to change my entire headlights...

Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts
You have 2 options and both require you to bake the headlights to open them.

1) You can either create a clear corner with a mold and resin
2) You can remove the yellow reflector when you open the headlight.

Couple of things you have to know before you want to attempt this though.
To stay DOT Legal you have to have amber reflectors which can be clearly visible during night time, from the side view. According to Ontario laws, you have to have a yellow/amber blinker visible from the front and side (not necessarily the reflector, but the bulb is okay too, as it lights up when you turn on your headlights, but be advised that having clear corners can lead to coppers giving you the stare, but 100% acc to law you are good as long as you have the yellow bulbs in there).

·
Registered
536 Posts
When I had my Dodge Stratus I took the headlight out and at the point in the housing where the bulb inserts into the headlight I stuck a screw driver in and put pressure on the orange reflector. It broke into several small pieces. I broke them down even smaller until they were small enough to pass through the hole. I simply shook the headlight upside down and they fell out. Problem solved.

I have not had my headlight out of my forte to see if the orange reflector can be accessed like my old car. Can anyone that has had their headlights out tell us? I would like to do the same thing.

·
Registered
431 Posts
When I had my Dodge Stratus I took the headlight out and at the point in the housing where the bulb inserts into the headlight I stuck a screw driver in and put pressure on the orange reflector. It broke into several small pieces. I broke them down even smaller until they were small enough to pass through the hole. I simply shook the headlight upside down and they fell out. Problem solved.

I have not had my headlight out of my forte to see if the orange reflector can be accessed like my old car. Can anyone that has had their headlights out tell us? I would like to do the same thing.
Isnt that like super risky to break them down inside the housing? I mean You would need that area of the headlight to be clean and free of dust and other small particles.. Even if it was possible to break the orange reflector, I dont think many would be too happy to do that.. :S..

·
Registered
536 Posts
I am not sure about the specifics...All I know is I had a extra set of Dodge headlights from a total loss that I bought for parts. It worked and there wasn't any leftover reflector pieces left in the housing. They all fell out. I never had any problems 2 years after it was done. To me it is just as risky baking headlights so that was the solution I went with....

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think its quite risky to open up the housing. Is it worth exchanging the headlights to an OEM pair that comes with clear white? Mine came like this, so maybe you could exchange yours with someone who wants to have the amber one... (I like mine as they are though... :))

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
I think its quite risky to open up the housing. Is it worth exchanging the headlights to an OEM pair that comes with clear white? Mine came like this, so maybe you could exchange yours with someone who wants to have the amber one... (I like mine as they are though... :))
Well for those of us in the State we would have to find someone outside of NA that wants to swap. That means expensive shipping in both directions and your car being headlight-less for geez, what, at least 3 days.

And I can't imagine that many people want to give up their white reflectors. Us Koups can't even get the Sedans in NA to trade with us.

I don't want to tell everyone that they should bake their lights because it is an involved mod. Its really not that difficult or risky though so that myth should die.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You have 2 options and both require you to bake the headlights to open them.

1) You can either create a clear corner with a mold and resin
2) You can remove the yellow reflector when you open the headlight.

Couple of things you have to know before you want to attempt this though.
To stay DOT Legal you have to have amber reflectors which can be clearly visible during night time, from the side view. According to Ontario laws, you have to have a yellow/amber blinker visible from the front and side (not necessarily the reflector, but the bulb is okay too, as it lights up when you turn on your headlights, but be advised that having clear corners can lead to coppers giving you the stare, but 100% acc to law you are good as long as you have the yellow bulbs in there).
I'm trying to find the thread on that but no chance
do you know this thread that explain how to make your own clear corner lens?

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
I changed the look of mine the really cheap way. While i had the headlights apart to install the LEDs, I covered over the amber reflectors with silver/white reflective safety tape. I think it looks really good and even up close you can't tell.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
What in the world??!! Why have I never seen this thread??!! OMG!! BigE, I love you! I have been trying to figure out how the hell I was going to change that ugly looking amber reflector to the silver reflector and it was this easy all along??!!

Can you do closer up pics of the reflector please? And where did you get the silver reflector tape from?

I'm so excited!! I'm gonna start working on getting a projector retrofit done now!! Whooo!!

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Thanks Noodile, but BigE's reflector is silver and not white. So I'm trying to figure out exactly what tape he used. He also has the black dividing lines within the reflector so did he make cuts in it to achieve that look? His looks exactly like OEM which is what I'm trying to go for.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts