Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone tell me how I can both check and fill the manual transmission fluid on a 2010 kia forte koup 2.4 L? I can't seem to find a filler bolt or anything. Thanks!

·
Registered
973 Posts
the bolts kind of blend in but i believe they are both 17mm bolts, the fill plug a little over halfway up the side of the trans case. will be in the front obviously.make sure and check the level after putting 2 qts or whatever is recommended for the six speed. dip the short end of an allen key in there and if it doesnt come out with fluid on it, add some. pretty simple. if you're doing it from above instead of under it on a lift, make sure to get one of those hoses/on off fill tubes made for filling gear oil, they are indispensible for this job, because your hand will be dead after squeezing 2 qts into that hole at that weird angle.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just did manual tranny fluid replacement with Redline MT85. Odometer is 55K miles. I have SX 6spd. I did not go for Redline MTL as someone in the forum recommended because I wanted to use factory spec'ed 75w85 weight lube (which MT85 is, and MTL is like 70w80).

What I did:
Jacked up the car and stood it on 4 jack stands so it was level. I used a level to confirm. First, I removed a small plastic shield covering the underside of the filler bolt. It has 3 bolts(10mm). The filler bolt is 17mm. It has a thin washer. Since I did not have one with me, I re-used it. The drain bolt is 24mm. It's a dark and flat hexagon. I had to buy a new 24mm socket to loosen it. The bolt also comes with a washer, which I didn't have so I re-used it too. When I opened the filler bolt, a lot of old tranny fluid ran out. Strange...I check the level and it level. The color of the tranny fluid was some what transparent brown, but had burnt smell.

To fill new fluid, I created my own funnel+tube. I connected 1/2 inch outer diameter tube (about 2 feet) to a funnel and had the funnel sit next to the battery and air inlet while the tube ran down and into the filler hole. The 1/2 diameter fits in the filler hole perfectly. Other size would be too small or too big.

Rather than measure exact amount, I just poured in 2 quarts and let extra overflow out of the filler hole. I removed the tube and waited until filler hole dripped no more, and I closed the filler bolt.

Test drove the car. The cold shifting feel is about the same. I still have 1st to 2nd gear notch and also slight notch going into 5th gear. The 1st, 3rd, and 4th gear shifting feels a bit smoother when the temperature warmed up. I did not test "hot" temperature yet.

BrothersPerformance sells a quart of MT85 for $10.99 shipped. If you use my "filling from the top" method, 2 quarts are enough. I bought 3 to be safe in case I spilled some. I think I'll do next change after 40K miles.

·
Registered
435 Posts
PLEASE POST PICS OF "A & B"

I've posted a pic of my 2010 kia forte koup sx 2.4L 6MT & maybe get the info on doing this myself & avoid the $300 at the dealership.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts