Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok here we are going to add this 2 product to the newly Koup.

First register to Kiatechinfo.com for more info, here is picture from the site how to remove the center console.

Tools

Phillip Screwdriver
Flat Screwdriver
Rachet with sockets 10 & 12
Plyers or C-clamp

Now, We have to remove 2 bolts that are on each side using Phillip scredriver.

To remove the shifter boot, what i did to prevent damage to the plastic i place some tape on the tip of the flat screwdriver as well as the base so i can pry it.

You dont need to take the boot out, just lift it like on the picture to keep it out of the way.

With a flat scredriver lift the pad under the glove box.

Use the rachet socket 10 to remove the bolts

With the flat scredriver remove the parking brake cover.

Now move the center console backwards, so you unplug the cables for the cig ligther and audio.

Unplug only the 2 white plugs, not the orange ones.

With the rachet socket# 12 remove all the bolts from the shifter base.

On the center of the rubber base bushing, you will find a metal cylinder, remove it with a flat screwdriver.

With the flat screwdriver remove the rubber base.

Now for compare, this is the size of the rubber base.

and here the aluminium bushing

Now its on place.

This is how it sits and now we have a very solid base.

Now, lets do the Delrin Shifter Bushings.

First we have to remove the intake box, because they are located underneath the box. To do this, you will need a rachet with socket#10 to remove this bolt.

and also this one.

With the same size, loose the pipe.

Now pull the pipe that goes on the bottom of the intake box.

Now gently lift the box, you DO NOT need to unplug the ECU,

Now remove the lock pin, push the left side of the pin with a flat screwdriver and with ur other hand pull the pin.

Remove the metal plate.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
There you see the rubber.

Now here comes the not easy part but not difficult part, you will have to remove the rubber and because its a very tight fit, so it will take you some time to do it. I'll recommend you to use gloves because you may hurt yourself. You can either push it in or out, the rubber will pop out.

Repeat the same procedure for the small one, yes there is 2 :) remove the pin

and now the rubber

Now, lets compare the size of the big one.

small one.

You can apply some grease on this, but in reality you dont need to, they are self lubricated so dont panic if you dont have grease.

Now here comes another difficult task, because this NEEDS to be an exact fit, it will take you some time to do this. Place the delrin bushings in your freezer for about 30 minutes before attempting to install. This makes the bushings go in easier. Now Using the Plyers or C-clamp place the bushings.

You may damage a little the bushings, just like my brother did, but dont worry about it.

Now i recommend you to do the small one at the end because this one is so much easier to do compare and it will save you time some frustration :D

Dont forget to place the plate and then insert the pin.

And there is the final product, a very solid bushing and the difference its just night and day. You will be surprise how this bad boys will improve on your shifting.

ENJOY!!!

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
bump for link and price

·
Registered
139 Posts
They are on sale for $25 right now with free shipping. Normally $35.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm glad you guys liked the how-to. If you have any questions let me know and i'll gladly answer it.

This process was easier than my Rio, on my Rio everything is so compact and you dont have too much room to play with and for the base bushings, it was every easier, you guys only have 4 bolts and thats it and again more room to move things around :)

If you have done this before, this will prolly take you about 1 hr but if not then dont get frustrate if the bushing doesnt fit, it will fit. My brother was about to quit because it wasnt fitting but since i have done this before and i know how PITA it is, i just keep pushing him to do it.

The only thing left now is the short throw shift from B&M.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Nice Job with the write up! can't wait to do this myself:)

·
Registered
139 Posts
He had said in a different thread it should work on the six speed that it looked the same.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah, when i looked on the 6 spd they were identical, they will fit

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
best part about this is the price, they are really cheap. less than 100 for a big change something that is not common with our cars, why? Custom made, thats the keyword for expensive.

He just contact me again to R&D a new part, the adjustable sway bar endlinks, once i get more info about this i'll create a new thread about it. I'm really excited for all this parts but sad at the same because its not for my car :(

·
Registered
526 Posts
Thanks for that really good DIY LePapirrikY! Well...you got me! I ordered mine today also! Originally just ordered the shifter bushings and wasn't gonna do the shifter base. I just couldn't see how changing those would improve shifting...then I figured "what the heck! I'll get them too at the discount price!" They must make some improvement. So I went back and ordered them - Hey...$25??? I would just blow that on candy anyway!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you will feel the difference but to have the complete feel you WILL need the short throw shift. Just remember how it was before, try to move ur shift from side to side and then install the bushing, there will not any more movement or when you shift on first and try to push it forward, well with this you cant anymore.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ordered mine this morning. Can't wait to put them in.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LePap! Nicely done! I mentioned in a another thread i thought a kit would help.

Have you changed over to redline too?
Thank you! this kit surely will help a lot.

What do you changed over to redline?

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
My order arrived yesterday and come to
Find out the company is about 30 minutes
From my house. Planning on installing them this
Coming Saturday and my eibach kit goes on Sunday!!!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts