Kia Forte Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Regarding the backup camera installation... did you have to cut and splice the factory camera connection with the proprietary connection or are you wiring it some different way?
I did not cut or splice the factory wires. All of the wiring was done using the Metra wiring harnesses. These two harnesses just plug into the factory wiring harnesses, which then connects all the new wires into the car's system.

The gory details are all outlined above if you go back and read the sections on the backup camera, namely 4, 7, 8 and 10.

If you have any specific questions please ask away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did not cut or splice the factory wires. All of the wiring was done using the Metra wiring harnesses. These two harnesses just plug into the factory wiring harnesses, which then connects all the new wires into the car's system.

The gory details are all outlined above if you go back and read the sections on the backup camera, namely 4, 7, 8 and 10.

If you have any specific questions please ask away.
Firstly, very much appreciate the breakdown on how to do this. I've had it bookmarked for a while. Now, that I'm considering replacing the head unit, I noticed that Crutchfield is recommending this new steering wheel module and harness setup for new head units that seem to do a lot of this stuff for you. But, it looks maybe a total of $100-150 more expensive than your parts list. I can't link to these but they are the:

iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR Interface Module

and

iDatalink HRN-RR-HK1 Factory Integration Adapter

Do you think this is worth the money or is it better to still buy the separate harnesses and DIY the pins and cables? It's really hard to tell what is compatible with what, but I'm looking at a newer Pioneer system, so I would hope that the Metra + PAC would still work with a little configuring.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The I datalink is if you want to use or be able to use & view on the aftermarket stereo display the HVAC, camera/s, on board scanner, Waze, apps & other features.

I installed an older double din kenwood ddx773bh stereo with Crux steering wheel & radio interface SWHRK 65S (2007 to 2014 Kia & Hyundai). My kenwood DDX773BH has the Maestro rr module & datalink. On the website it shows screenshots of the RR & idatalink.

Also if your buying a new aftermarket stereo it might just need the items your asking about.

You can go to your local bestbuy or automobile sound system store.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
207 Posts
You should just need the steering wheel & stereo interface if you're not needing the idatalink. I just bought the steering wheel & stereo interface. I have my steering wheel controls. Vol up/down, mute, call, end call/hang up, next/previous & mode (inputs:BT,DVD,camera,android apps, satellite radio, FM/AM.

I've lost the use of OEM microphone, USB & AUX & satellite (I don't use at all). I did have to buy a 3.5mm external microphone. Works great.

If need to I can always revert back to OEM/Factory stereo & faceplate. I'll upload some pics of my aftermarket stereo to see if that helps.

Anthony

·
Registered
2 Posts
You should just need the steering wheel & stereo interface if you're not needing the idatalink. I just bought the steering wheel & stereo interface. I have my steering wheel controls. Vol up/down, mute, call, end call/hang up, next/previous & mode (inputs:BT,DVD,camera,android apps, satellite radio, FM/AM.

I've lost the use of OEM microphone, USB & AUX & satellite (I don't use at all). I did have to buy a 3.5mm external microphone. Works great.

If need to I can always revert back to OEM/Factory stereo & faceplate. I'll upload some pics of my aftermarket stereo to see if that helps.

Anthony

Hey, thanks for the info!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for putting together such a detailed guide! I recently finished an aftermarket head unit install in my Kia Forte 2014 sedan, and thanks to this guide, it went very smoothly. I've done multiple head unit installs before, but never with a backup camera, steering wheel controls, or built-in microphone, so your guide was absolutely great in explaining how to make sure all of these work with the new unit.

Here are a few suggestions/comments for anyone else doing an install:

I decided to skip the factory USB & AUX ports. Instead I ran the aftermarket head unit's USB cable toward the passenger side and it comes out under the glove box. No alterations necessary.

Even if your head unit comes with a parking brake wire, some brands will let you just ground the wire (so the head unit basically thinks your parking brake is engaged all the time). I verified that my head unit works fine this way, so I didn't have to run a wire to my parking brake. Do some research on your particular head unit to see if this will work before trying this.

I used the factory microphone and the quality is fine for my needs. Android Assistant has no problem understanding me. I very rarely make phone calls in my car, but when I tested it, it was at least clear enough that you could hold a conversation.

I used the iDatalink Maestro ADS-MSW steering wheel control and it works with all the buttons in our car.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks! I'm glad my write-up helped you out!

I really like having the factory USB connection, so I can just plug into the port in the center console. :)

21 - 28 of 28 Posts