1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
-2 layers of spray tint
-1 layer of clear topcoat
-Buff waxed

Ok, so I can't gaurantee not pulled over, but I've been rocking my tail lights like this on all of my vehicles for 12 years and have never been pulled over for tail lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Im tinted too. But a buddy of mine tells me if im rear ended, my insurance wont cover me due to neglect on my part.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Well I can say I just got rearended with tinted taillights (vinyl) and my insurance did not say a single thing about them. I even made sure they were aware of the tint when we made up the policy. They acutally insured them as is. Not sure if I'm lucky about it or not, but so far so good.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Not so much a sanding as instead a scotchbrite pad with some comet. Gives the paint something to bite into without ruining the plastic. Mostly you just need to make sure they are completely clean, oil-free, and dry. You can also lay a very light coat and let it dry before laying the two layers of tint.

I insist that my insurance company keep updated pictures of all of my vehicles everytime I change my insurance (which is about 4 times a year for various reasons). This started about 8 years ago when they told me my 87 Chrysler Conquest that I wanted full coverage for was only worth $1500 and I screamed bloody murder. I sent them every piece of documentation I had. They are quite responsive to me now that I cycle 8 different vehicles through my insurance at different times of the year and also have my homeowners insurance with them. We're actually on first name basis with our insurance rep.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I see you and i really need to pass the peace pipe. My buddy (state farm claims adjuster) swears im asking for trouble. Call your claims number and ask an expert.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
-2 layers of spray tint
-1 layer of clear topcoat
-Buff waxed

Ok, so I can't gaurantee not pulled over, but I've been rocking my tail lights like this on all of my vehicles for 12 years and have never been pulled over for tail lights.
it looks good. ive been wanting to do the same but ive not clue where to even start. any way we could meet up and you could at least walk me thru the steps? i'll get the tint and stuff but i just need direction lol

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
I insist that my insurance company keep updated pictures of all of my vehicles everytime I change my insurance (which is about 4 times a year for various reasons). This started about 8 years ago when they told me my 87 Chrysler Conquest that I wanted full coverage for was only worth $1500 and I screamed bloody murder. I sent them every piece of documentation I had. They are quite responsive to me now that I cycle 8 different vehicles through my insurance at different times of the year and also have my homeowners insurance with them. We're actually on first name basis with our insurance rep.
I see you and i really need to pass the peace pipe. My buddy (state farm claims adjuster) swears im asking for trouble. Call your claims number and ask an expert.
Every insurance company is different and every accident is different. I have generally found that if you work with an agent (rather than just signing up online) and stick with them they will really take care of you.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
^^^That has been very much my experience as well. If your honest and forth coming with them, they will be with you, but mileage may very. LOL

·
Registered
11 Posts
hey, i'm totally new to this tinting tail-lights thing but really want to do it on my 2010 koup. what are the complete steps from beginning to end? (planning on using vht nite shades to tint. do i need a clear coat first or after... or what??)

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
1. tape newspaper around edges of tail lights to prevent overspray on your car
2. scuff plastic
3. spray light layer of tint
4. wait 5 minutes, spray another light layer of tint
5. spray clear coat if desired
6. wait 24 hours, then buff to make shiny

for the record, i was pulled over 4 times on our trip to scottsdale and back to san antonio. no mention of my tail lights were made.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Use a grey scotchbrite pad, water, and some comet. Make the plastic uniformly scuffed, don't miss the edges. Make sure the surface is completely clean and dry before spray.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the taillights tinted dark on my Ranger and got rearended and cop or insureance did not say anything at all ans I mean they were dark, but you could still see them lit up.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts