Kia Forte Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
My 2010 Kia forte has a hundred and ten thousand miles on it. At this mileage, something went wrong for the first time. So this was the first time I ever had to bring it in to get repaired. I took it to a Kia dealership. I had to have the crank sensor replaced. The timing of my control valves was off. When they got the motor running they found that my engine rod was knocking. That is the big o crap moment. It was 870$to repair the first 2 things I mentioned. But the rod = a new motor. Which cost 4330. A grand total of 5200$ The car at that mileage is not worth that much. So I think these kias last about 110000 mi and they die. I'm still in a state of shock! I have to buy a new car. I can tell you it won't be a Kia. :crying2:
Although I'm always open minded about reports of Theta engine issues, unless you post back describing the COMPLETE oil change history for your Forte, I'll just consider what you wrote to be nothing but a rant by someone who didn't properly maintain their vehicle.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
My 2010 Kia forte has a hundred and ten thousand miles on it. At this mileage, something went wrong for the first time. So this was the first time I ever had to bring it in to get repaired. I took it to a Kia dealership. I had to have the crank sensor replaced. The timing of my control valves was off. When they got the motor running they found that my engine rod was knocking. That is the big o crap moment. It was 870$to repair the first 2 things I mentioned. But the rod = a new motor. Which cost 4330. A grand total of 5200$ The car at that mileage is not worth that much. So I think these kias last about 110000 mi and they die. I'm still in a state of shock! I have to buy a new car. I can tell you it won't be a Kia. :crying2:
You might want to get a second opinion before buying a new car. Usually, when a crank sensor goes, the car will not start, is that what happened to you? Was the second repair for the "timing of the control valves"? I have no idea what that means. Replacing a crank sensor for $870 is very high, although I have not done one on your vintage Forte. An aftermarket sensor is about $70 and it takes about a half an hour to install according to what I found on the web. Kia's are typically very durable cars, so don't rush into anything before having someone else take a look.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I often wonder if the larger brands don't just do this one negative post and gone tactic to drive the negative reviews of the smaller competitors that are gaining on them intentionally. Like an anti-PR campaign so that it pulls up in the search engines for people researching Kia's (or Hyundai's). I know that Honda and Nissan are both very concerned about the Korean twosome because they're building vehicles people actually want to drive with the features people want.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Could be, because Katie made one negative post and didn't really ask for any help. Crank sensors do go occasionally and are not a big deal, but the rest of the post didn't make much sense.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a Spectra for 9 years and put 229,000 miles on it before it got to the point where I could convince my wife that I should buy a new car as the transmission was finally going out and there were a few minor issues elsewhere, but overall, a great commuter car and it only just dipped under 30MPG towards the very end.

I have driven a new Forte (1.8L engine) for 6 months now and am at 15,000 miles. Apart from regular oil and filter changes so far, no problem and over 33MPG all the time, with 34 to 36 on longer freeway drives not unusual. I plan to keep it for 5 years or up to about 150,000 miles when it'll get swapped out for something else as I will have stopped commuting by then.

:biggrin2:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Our '12 has just north of 93K on the odometer and still runs strong. What I've noticed is the blend of fuel makes a huge difference in the MPG observed. Ours has made regular runs up and down the east coast from NY to FL and we see anywhere between the dealer stated 33 and up to 40 MPG. On our last trip south, we stopped at a station that was selling the super premium at the regular price, so I had my chance to see if a higher octane really made a difference. Nope. It's all in the gas/ethanol/whatever blend.

RE: Katie and the engine...
I have to agree that without fortification of regular maintenance evidence, that failure could be written off as lack of maintenance. Any make or model could die the same death when regular maintenance is ignored.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My 2010 Forte EX now has 285,000 trouble free miles on it. Nothing but routine maintenance. ( fluid changes, spark plugs, tires, brakes, shocks and struts)

·
Registered
3 Posts
2012 forte ex closing the gap on 200k no major issues yet. Oil changes being done when needed. Replaced the spark plugs around 180k. It's been to South Carolina 3 times and Mississippi twice. Going into the garage soon for a good once over just to make sure everything is good.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My 2010 Forte has 164k miles on it and the only problem that has shown up is that sometimes it won't start on the first try but always starts on the second try, other than that drives good and smooth running engine. Yes I do regular oil changes and change spark plugs every 6 months or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
842 Posts
My 2010 Forte has 164k miles on it ... I do regular oil changes and change spark plugs every 6 months or so.
You change spark plugs every 6 months?
You have 164,000 miles on a 7 year old car. That's approx 23,400 miles a year. So you change spark plugs every 11,700 miles?

·
Registered
52 Posts
You change spark plugs every 6 months?

You have 164,000 miles on a 7 year old car. That's approx 23,400 miles a year. So you change spark plugs every 11,700 miles?

I actually have only owned the car for 3 yrs and when I bought it, it only had 47k miles on it so I've driven it roughly 39k miles a yr and changed the spark plugs every 19.5k miles. But to answer ur ? Yes I change my plugs very frequently since driving here on a daily basis is stop and go traffic and I'm not on the highway very much unless going to visit my parents.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I ... changed the spark plugs every 19.5k miles. ... I change my plugs very frequently since driving here on a daily basis is stop and go traffic and I'm not on the highway very much...
Still, every 19,500 miles is way too often. You are wasting money. These aren't 1970's spark plugs. Modern, Iridium spark plugs easily last 90,000 miles or more regardless of city/highway driving. Once every 2 years is more than adequate for changing plugs. Not once every 6 months. I'm just trying to save you some money.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I know, but I'm one of those ppl that thinks "if I don't do it know I won't do it later". And yes I have been told I'm wasting money replacing them often but I recycle my old ones to my families cars that take them also.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Now at 302,000 trouble free miles. Nothing but normal routine maintenance.
Still average 34 mph highway, driving to and from work. (37 mpg 2 weeks ago on a 600 mile trip)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Now at 302,000 trouble free miles. Nothing but normal routine maintenance.
Still average 34 mph highway, driving to and from work. (37 mpg 2 weeks ago on a 600 mile trip)
Have you written to Kia, yet, if they are interested in your car's story? 12 times around the equator!

·
Registered
138 Posts
No, I haven't contacted KIA. I did have the local dealer call to talk me into trading it in on a new KIA. He said they have a lot of people looking for Forte's "just like yours". I asked how many people really come in looking for cars with over 250,000 miles, and he hung up the phone.
I now have 305,000 trouble free miles !

·
Registered
21 Posts
My Forte EX now has just short of 326,000 miles. No major issues, other than alternator failure at 317,000 miles.
This is Awesome to here. My 2010 SX has 196K on it. 100K of that is in the last 2.5 years. It has had some piston slap for about the last 50K miles, but I beat the living heck out of it dozens of times a day right to the readline, and have for all 105K miles that I have owned it. NO other problems. Best car I've ever owned. Synthetic 5w20 every 5K, factory filter.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts