Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT-Line, Snow White Pearl
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all. I have a 2021 Forte GT-Line and I do not like the stock low beams/headlights so I want to switch them out with white LEDs.
I’m just confused as to what LEDs I need to buy for the low-beams, and which ones for the high-beams.
could someone educate me a bit better or send me a link?
I found some Katana 9005 HB3 led lights. Those are for low-beams, correct?
And for high beams I would have to buy H7 LED lights?
I’m sorry but I really am confused. I did research online but can seem to come to a conclusion. I hope someone is willing to help me.
thank you in advance!

·
Registered
2010 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT Theta 2, Titanium silver metallic.
984 Posts
I don't own a new Forte. I'll help as much as I can.

Did your Forte come with the owners manual? If it did, it should have the bulb sizes. Your manual is your friend.

Have you gone to your local Autozone, O'Reilly's, advanced auto, Napa & Pepboys?

Have you checked online? Autozone, O'Reilly's, advanced auto, Napa? Type in their search.

You can checkout Carid.com. DDMtuning.com, the retrofitsource.com, Oracle.com.

Google:
2021 Kia Forte headlights
2021 Kia Forte lights
2021 Kia Forte bulbs
2021 Kia Forte bulb sizes
2021 Kia Forte GT bulb type
2021 Kia Forte GT headlights
2021 Kia Forte GT lights
2021 Kia Forte GT bulbs
2021 Kia Forte GT bulb sizes
2021 Kia Forte GT bulb type

If you can get into one of the headlight, remove the light bulbs. Look for printed, stamped, lasered, branded bulb info on the base (the hard plastic area before the glass/bulb) of the bulb itself. Also, post pics. Helps out the community.

If you can remove one of the headlight assembly housings. There may be some bulb info # stamped on the back of the headlight housings.

If you have a neighbors/co workers that drive a new/same vehicle like yours. You can ask them if the would know the bulbs & types.

Last resort is to drive either back to the stealership or your local Kia/Hyundai dealership & ask at the service/parts about the exact bulbs needed.

It helps as you replace items on a vehicle if you start to take pics/info on your phone as a mobile reference/manual/repair guide.

Post the pics, it helps out the community.

Hope this helps.

Anthony

·
Registered
984 Posts

This is just an example. Not the actual info or answer you require. If you can or have someone who's mechanically inclined enough to remove one of your headlights. They can search on the back/rear of the headlight assembly housing & see if indeed the bulb sizes are stamped.

If not able to remove one of the headlights. You can take a bright flashlight & look around at the rear of the headlight housing.

You can also use your phone to take either pics or video if the areas are too small to look around.

Hope this helps. Post your pics as well. It does help out.

Anthony

·
Registered
984 Posts

Just an example of how I keep the info on all my 3 vehicles & any oh my vehicles I have repaired & owned. That's what I have on my phone.

Folders/files for each vehicle info/repairs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Hornet, Do you understand that you can't just replace a Hyalogen bulb with a LED bulb? If you do, you will get a warning on the dash to check your headlight. You have to buy LED bulbs with integral resistors, or add a resister, so that the correct wattage is detected by the car's computer. I don't know enough about this so you need to search this site for others who have installed LEDs in 2019-2021 Fortes and got them to work.

2021 Kia Forte (from owners manual)

Try this one:
Halogen to LED upgrade? | Kia Forte Forum (forteforums.com)

And this one:
2019-2020 Forte LED headlight and DRL conversion | Page 2 | Kia Forte Forum (forteforums.com)

·
Registered
984 Posts
You can try the LEDs, just keep the receipt.

Like ForteSX2.4 said. You will run into computer stuff.

There's the all over the place glare instead of focused light paramountly needed for night driving in OEM/factory halogen glass bulb reflectors not designed for any other type of illumination bulbs.

You can try them just to see what happens. I've never delt with LEDs in halogen housings.

Have you checked out Carid.com, DDMtuning.com for HIDs, theretrofitsource.com.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Being a 2021 I'd think they'd have HIDs instead of halogen lighting.

My 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited has HID. $130.00 each.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh man! Yeah I didn’t think about the possibility of error codes🙈
I still went ahead and ordered some LEDs for both high beams (reflector) and low beams (projector) which will arrive on Friday. I’ll be reporting back with any issues I might run into etc.
If things won’t work out, I’ll definitely go ahead and try some HIDs.
I just want white headlights so they can match with the DLRs. It just looks super weird with the Halogens imo.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Oh man! Yeah I didn’t think about the possibility of error codes🙈
I still went ahead and ordered some LEDs for both high beams (reflector) and low beams (projector) which will arrive on Friday. I’ll be reporting back with any issues I might run into etc.
If things won’t work out, I’ll definitely go ahead and try some HIDs.
I just want white headlights so they can match with the DLRs. It just looks super weird with the Halogens imo.
I wanted to replace the fog lights on my GT for the same reason - the yellow look of the fog lights look out of place with the pure white LED headlights and DRLs. I bought some LED 9006 bulbs but got the warning in the dash to check fog lights! I didn't want to add 55 watt resisters, because they get hot, so I bought some Sylvania white 9006 halogen bulbs. They're whiter then the factory bulbs but still don't match the LED headlights...but I'll live with them for now.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Post pics, before & after. I'd like to see & be illuminated.
This is with the Fog Lights and "white" Sylvania halogen bulbs - still "yellowish" compared to the factory LED headlights:

Not so white fog lights.png

Believe it or not - the fog lights were even WORSE with the factory halogen bulbs - duller and even more "yellow".

In the picture it looks like some of the DRL LEDs aren't on - this is because of the flickering the camera sees - not what it looks like in person...strange...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is with the Fog Lights and "white" Sylvania halogen bulbs - still "yellowish" compared to the factory LED headlights:

View attachment 83301

Believe it or not - the fog lights were even WORSE with the factory halogen bulbs - duller and even more "yellow".

In the picture it looks like some of the DRL LEDs aren't on - this is because of the flickering the camera sees - not what it looks like in person...strange...
Interesting!! How is the visibility at night with the headlights compared to stock?

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Interesting!! How is the visibility at night with the headlights compared to stock?
My LED headlights are stock...I'm trying to get the fog lights to be the same bright "white".
The Sylvania soft white fog light bulbs are a little brighter then the stock fog light bulbs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My LED headlights are stock...I'm trying to get the fog lights to be the same bright "white".
The Sylvania soft white fog light bulbs are a little brighter then the stock fog light bulbs.
Ohhhh true. I didn’t see that it was a GT. lol
Did you try the Sealight 9006 bulbs that where mentioned in the other thread?

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Ohhhh true. I didn’t see that it was a GT. lol
Did you try the Sealight 9006 bulbs that where mentioned in the other thread?
I tried some LED bulbs -and they were nice and "white" but they gave me the warnings in the dash...the fix is to install in-line resisters, but resisters create heat and need to be kept away from plastic so I chose not to use them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I tried some LED bulbs -and they were nice and "white" but they gave me the warnings in the dash...the fix is to install in-line resisters, but resisters create heat and need to be kept away from plastic so I chose not to use them.
Ohhh I see! Damn that sucks tho :/ sounds impossible to get LEDs in there then

1 - 20 of 28 Posts