Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After starting up this morning, I hit the gas pedal instead of the brake before putting it in gear to drive off. Sounded like the engine was going to explode LOL but thank goodness it was in park. Sometimes you hear about old grannies forgetting which pedal is which and running into houses/barns/etc.

·
Registered
431 Posts
After starting up this morning, I hit the gas pedal instead of the brake before putting it in gear to drive off. Sounded like the engine was going to explode LOL but thank goodness it was in park. Sometimes you hear about old grannies forgetting which pedal is which and running into houses/barns/etc.
Congratulations..

You almost discovered an automatic burnout OR A blown engine.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
I have to say, when I goof up like that (which is NOT often :) ), I don't tend to broadcast it on the Internet... lol

Just sayin...

·
Registered
587 Posts
I suppose that it as a lesson learnt. It would have sucked if anything had gone wrong.
Thankfully all is well. :)

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,879 Posts
You aren't the first person nor will you be the last to do that! My brother slipped on the carpet of his Mustang when he went to blip the throttle to get it off the choke/high idle, put the pedal to the metal, engine max revved and broke the camshaft in three pieces...LoL Be thankful for the rev limiter on these engines...it may have sounded "wide open" but it most likely only went to 4K RPM and kept it from blowing apart!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here's one to make everyone feel smarter. I was waiting at a stop light on my way back to work from lunch yesterday (I have a cool six speed). I'm watching the rear-view cuz a couple cool lookin ladies are in the car behind me. You can guess where this is going; the light turns green, I let out the clutch while bumping the gas and shoot backward about six inches! I'm like "F**K!" I kept my cool well enough to find first gear, turn up the next road and then properly flee in humiliation, but I still can't believe how retarded that was:)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Don't think you'll leave screw-ups behind as you get older. I'm 66 and being old just means you have had time to accumulate more of these stories.

One of my more recent ones - Before I got the 1940 Chev in my signature I had a 1934 Ford 3-window coupe (fiberglass car) with a 350 HP 350 ci. Chev in it and a 700R4 automatic. The only way it would fit into the short side of my garage was if I backed it in, and to get into the door to the house it had to be tight to the wall of the garage on the passenger side. The '34 had a chopped top and was not too easy to see out of so I used to slide over a bit to the passenger side of the car to better see how close I was to the wall and let the car creep back on idle. It was going a bit fast and I went to stab the brake with my left foot (I had done this dozens of times before) but instead hit the gas. Well, let me tell you when you stab the gas on 350 HP in a 2800 Lb car it tends to get a bit unruly. Fortunately I was only a couple of feet from the back wall, but it laid a patch of rubber, lept over the wheel stop I had on the floor to park it, hit the cement steps going in to the house and came to a stop. The rear pan between the fenders was crushed, but the drivers side exhaust pipe hit hardest and pushed forward collapsing in the bend over the rear axle and jutting out into the tire slashing the sidewall. There was a loud rushing of air out of the tire, and the car sort of rapidly sank down on that corner as the tire flattened. I'm sitting there kinda stunned wondering what just happened. Just to make my day, my house is a townhouse in a row of about eight units. All of my neighbours rushed out because they thought the sky was falling and had to view the carnage. :eek:

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,879 Posts
^^^LOL!!!! ...and your neighbors looked at you funny for years after that...LoL!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here's one to make everyone feel smarter. I was waiting at a stop light on my way back to work from lunch yesterday (I have a cool six speed). I'm watching the rear-view cuz a couple cool lookin ladies are in the car behind me. You can guess where this is going; the light turns green, I let out the clutch while bumping the gas and shoot backward about six inches! I'm like "F**K!" I kept my cool well enough to find first gear, turn up the next road and then properly flee in humiliation, but I still can't believe how retarded that was:)
You did that in a car with reverse lockout :confused:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Sometimes when sitting at a light I play with the lockout. Once I accidentally put it in reverse but I knew from the feel that I was not in first and fixed it before any embarrassment could ensue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
At least you didnt do any damage. Before I had my forte, I had a 2005 Spectra 5 that I used as a daily driver and an old 1990 Jeep Cherokee that was lifted and used as a toy. Well one day I decided to drive the jeep to work and I pulled it diagonally behind the spec5 to leave it overnight. When I came out to drive it the next morning it wouldnt start and majorly pissed me off. So I grab my keys for the spec5 and ran to leave cause I was already late and it was 6 in the morning. Well I threw it into reverse and being mad I punched it pretty hard and forgot my jeep was behind me. I remembered it was there at about the time my front bumper was not attached to the spec5 anymore. I managed to do $1500 in damage to the spec5 and the old hunk of crap jeep didnt even have a scratch lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts